Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Exclamation Does it hurt to leave A/S parked on slope

My driveway has a 10% slope to it. I will need to back up the driveway to store a 350 I am looking to buy. Does anyone know if permanently storing (except when in use) on this slope will cause any problems? I could drive up front first but that would be quite awkward (may not make any difference anyways).

Also does anybody know a way to lift the front to level it. Such as drive up on to some thing. I would need to raise up about 24” is my guess. I layed this out on paper and I don’t think the back end would touch as the driveway levels out a bit there. I had thought of having a ramp built into the lower end of the driveway so that I could pull forward up onto. I don’t know if this would cause problems with the tag axle though as the back axles would be on the slope and the front raised up level.

Any thoughts on all this?

Thanks
rixan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Be careful of the levelling valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixan
Any thoughts on all this?
Rixan:

The main suspension air bags "sense" the position of the tags on relation to the frame.......if your tag is angled "down" (as in a hole), the rear air bags will deflate to bring the frame "down" to the proper position in relation to the tags. Conversly, if the tag is angled "up" as if the tag wheels were parked on a "bump", the sensors would add air to the main bags, attempting to bring the frame "up" to the level of the tags. Be careful on how you position it, depending on where and how your slope breaks your rear air bags could conceivably deflate - lowering your rear end even more.

As long as your tanks are not to the top full, you should not have any real fluid problems with a 10 degree slope.......be very, very careful the first time you bring it in.....that rear overhang is very fragile. I would suggest you have a "spotter" to watch the rear end situation at least for the first couple of times you park it in the drive.

Your refridgerator will not work well on a slope - and not all of the fluids will find a way to the drain.

24" is a lot to "fix" - I would hesitate to ramp more than 6".

Do not depend on the "park" position of the automatic transmission - the spawl is not extremely robust and could shear. I am not sure if the 350 has the "automatic set emergency brake" or not. If it does, it is tied into the hydroboost system (power steering fluid assisted) - lots of potential worms in that can.

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Dennis
So it seems that if I back up the driveway then the air bags will inflate and raise the back of the coach, increasing the rear clearance from the ground.
Is there a way to manually override the airbags and inflate to maximum or minimum on demand? Or hold at a certain height?

I wasn't to sure of what you meant on the brake issue. I would of course put on the emergency brake when parked. I also would block the wheels as an extra. What are the concerns with this hydroboost system (what is it?)?

I once pulled into my snow covered driveway and parked my car and as always set the brake. I had a knock on my door a half hour later. Some said my car was sideways across the middle of the road. Turns out the warm tires melted through the snow to the ice underneath and the car just slid down the driveway and out into the street. No damage or accidents luckily.
rixan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixan
I once pulled into my snow covered driveway and parked my car and as always set the brake. I had a knock on my door a half hour later. Some said my car was sideways across the middle of the road. Turns out the warm tires melted through the snow to the ice underneath and the car just slid down the driveway and out into the street. No damage or accidents luckily.
Wow, That must be a little more steep than what I was thinking. Maybe you could look for a way to level part of your land there so you could back into a level hole so to speak. You really don't want your AS taking trips on its own. Keep that car away from it.... I think it's a bad influence...

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You can get levelling blocks, aluminum or plastic that you drive up on, and check the level. I have two sets in my storage compartment, used for uneven camp sites, etc.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote