Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Dinette swap

We want to swap our dinette chairs and table for one that converts into a bed. I found a source in Indiana (RV Surplus) and would like to have another to compare. Does anyone know of a source to purchase a dinette that converts into a bed? I do not want to build one, thus woukld prefer to have one ready to install.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We want to swap our dinette chairs and table for one that converts into a bed. I found a source in Indiana (RV Surplus) and would like to have another to compare. Does anyone know of a source to purchase a dinette that converts into a bed? I do not want to build one, thus woukld prefer to have one ready to install.
Thanks
You can try Bontrager RV Surplus in White Pigeon, MI. They carry a lot of discontinued furniture for RV's.
Try http://www.bontragerssurplus.com/
They do not list a whole lot of their new stuff but you can call them and see what they have.
Ask to talk to Amber. She is really helpful.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Used?

Have you thought about getting a complete one from an RV salvage yard? They unbolt/unscrew it from a wrecked or retired MH, and you (or a helper) bolt and screw it into your unit.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Can some one tell Me a Salvage Yard that has Airstream Parts? My dash is shot. I fulled the kill cable to hard one time to much.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalsetto
Can some one tell Me a Salvage Yard that has Airstream Parts? My dash is shot. I fulled the kill cable to hard one time to much.
Try http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/
Old 06-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Thanks "overlander63" I'll give them a call monday
Old 06-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There is a place on-line which I found that offers new dashboards for our chassis. I have not contacted them but have it on my wish list.

www.custominstrumentpanels.com
Old 06-23-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Looks like they do great work. What is wrong with your dash. Is it the vinyl part that is torn or cracked?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Looks like they do great work. What is wrong with your dash. Is it the vinyl part that is torn or cracked?
I think he may want to get a low oil-level indicator installed, and it would look better in a new instrument cluster.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The oil level indicator works very nicely on my current dash but it, as the rest of the dash does, looks tired. The vinyl has faded and the overall look is so dated. I would also like to get the AC and heater controls together and in a more reachable place.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Just a thought, when I managed car dealerships, we used interior resto guys, who could redo dash vinyl in no time. They also could tighten and redye vinyl if it was serviceable. Might be a money saving way to do yours.
Thankfully my dash is in amazing shape. The moho was stored indoors much of its life, and with a little maintenace it has continued to look really good. Lucky as i have seen many that were cracked and warped.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
"ALANSD". I just got back from the Washington coast. I'll try and get a hold of a vinyl person and see if he can fix it. I'll give My dealership a call an see if thay have a person that can fix My dash. Its not to good. The kill cable was pulled more then one time to much, to hard. The last time was Me. I just forgot and full to hard.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
"Pull Cable" to shut off the engine?

Quote:
....The kill cable was pulled more then one time to much, to hard. The last time was Me. I just forgot and full to hard.

Alfalsetto:

I know you have an '82 diesel, but I am somewhat confused by your reference to "Pulled the kill cable".....
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the "kill" cable was installed only for emergencies......the "ignition" key normally cuts off the fuel to the engine and stops the engine from running when the key is turned to the "off" position (as in a gasoline engine).

All of the "Pull to kill" (emergency) shut-offs on diesel engines I am familiar with work by shutting off the air to the engine rather than shutting off the fuel supply. Of course, Airstream (or a PO modification) could well have substituted an a manual pull-to-kill-the-fuel if the "electric" ("ignition" key operated) solenoid diesel kill (shut off) failed as an "easy" fix.

My point is, IF the dash mounted "Pull to Kill" switch actually DOES kill the engine by throwing a dam to the air inlet (thereby cutting off the air to the cylinders), there is a very real danger that, with continued shut down in this manner, you will damage various oil seals due to a continued "vacuum" being applied to the "air inlet" side of the diesel which, of course, was not designed to run with a vacuum in this area.

All of my actual experience with damage to diesels caused by continued use of the "Emergency Shut Down" (oil seal damage and eventually engine oil being pulled into the air inlet) has been with the Detroit Diesel 53-71-92 series engines. If this type of damage would not, or could not, carry over into your engine, my apologies in advance.

I know this thread is getting quite a bit off of the original question posed by Chaplain Kent (Dinettes), and if further questions (or a refute to my experiences with the 53-71-92 Detroits) maybe ALANSD could create a separate thread in an appropriate location.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:08 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I'm with you with on that!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My 82 deisel uses a pull kill to stop the engine, it is mounted on the dash. My new engine which is also an Isuzu engine uses this same pull kill to stop the engine. I questioned the mechanic and was told it is the design of the engine. The ignition switch does not turn off the engine, in fact it is just a starter switch. This was the problem when I tried to install a buzzer for my headlights. These deisel models have no ignition on off switch.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
My 82 deisel uses a pull kill to stop the engine, ....These deisel models have no ignition on off switch.
Thanks for the info....

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I'm going to try and make some thing to stop the engine. It's not going to a kill cable. "I hope"
Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm going to try and make some thing to stop the engine. It's not going to a kill cable. "I hope"
I once drove a Kenworth with a Caterpillar engine that used the ignition switch to turn off the engine, instead of a pull lever. You turned the ignition "off" then turned it back to the "acc" position until the engine stopped. I think it was a solenoid that was normally open, and power closed it.
Also, some diesel engines have a compression release lever that will also kill the engine, this may be what the Isuzu has, it would be a lot easier on the engine if that is how it stops it.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Isuzu has to have some thing to kill the engine beside the kill cable. I'm going to start to call around and see if I can find out some thing on it after the 4th. "I'm going camping for a week or so?" If not back to make some thing work!!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Chaplain Kent,
I just finished building a new dinette for my 345. It's a drivers side unit set behind the couch. It has cutouts for the generator box and water heater.

You're welcome to the original setup less the cushions (4" foam) and some of the mounting angle aluminum. You can also have the table itself less the hardware.

Honestly, if your woodworking skills are there it's not too hard to build one from scratch using 1 x 4 stock and 1/2" plywood. I can also send you some pics of my old dinette and the new one if you think it would help sort it all out.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote