Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Debating

downsizing from 2004 Classic Limited Slideout Lounge/2001 GMC Duramax to
25 or 23ft '07 and '04 F150
or Classic 345 Motorhome towing Smart.....for weekend, region rally's
are MH's moneypits? ) for a quickie weekend rally, no need to have a toad.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi Dan, try to remember, if you're looking at the Airstream Classic motorhomes, they are all at least 15 to 30 years old. Nothing automotive with that kind of age is going to drive down the road like it's new. I've been reminded numerous times on this forum before purchasing my 1989 345LE, that there's a truck chassis, an engine, and then to top it all off, a RV all sitting on top of all of that. And ALL will require general maintenance and occasional repairs. Am I crazy? Sure as hell I am, but what RV'r isn't???
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cuckoo for CoCo Puffs?

Here's a thought. Get an Interstate and use IT as the tow vehicle for a mid-sized Airstream Trailer.

OK it's a very expensive idea.

I really like the new Interstates, and for a weekender they are perfect. Want more Airstream? ...well tow one. Why not (Other than the $$$$$).

OTOH the 23's are pretty sweet and small enough to be towed with a 1/2 ton truck.

Best wishes whatever you choose. Paula
Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, although we have had thoughts of up sizing, moderately, if we decide to sell our home and full time. I can fully understand the down sizing part too. I think a 23 / 25 foot trailer with a F-150 would be a nice set-up. Forget the [old Airstream] motorhome, unless you are young, and have time any money to have it all re-done. Or buy a near new small motorhome. I have known people who have dragged their little toad all across the country and to only use it a few times. Might be better and cheaper to rent a car at major locations.

Can you handle down sizing? We toured the Monaco factory and they have a new model motorhome in 32 and 35 foot sizes. After the tour, we all went inside of one of the new 35' models. We thought it was pretty nice, But two ladies and one of their husbands said that it was way too small to full time in and would only be good for weekend trips.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Keep in mind that a LOT of the new motorhomes are just not that well built.. There are a bunch of older quality rigs out there ripe for the picking.. Sure some of them are basket cases but many are well taken care of and regularly used -- sure they're going to need regular maintenance but these are MACHINES after all and nothing is perfect! Some quality rigs to look into that cost (in their days) 6 figures are Bluebird Wanderlodges.. You can get a 70-80's model now for something in the 20k+ range.. These can be anything from 31' to 40+ some with wide-bodies.. Many are super luxury inside -- perhaps too luxury for mere camping! Sorry for dragging things a bit outside of AS territory but I'm a big fan of these rigs but can't get one because they're too big for us. Oh well.. back to looking around..
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Classic 345 Motorhome towing Smart.....for weekend, region rally's
are MH's moneypits? ) for a quickie weekend rally, no need to have a toad.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Dan
We have owned our 345 for over fourteen years and it has served us well. We have traveled west to Calgory, Ca., east to New York State, Cape Hatteras, south to Key West and many places in between. It has always got us home. This Summer we were in Sioux Narrows, Ontario with it.

Money Pit? How much money have you got in your Duramax? I'll bet I have a lot less in our 345 diesel. Probably get about the same mileage too.

We almost always tow a VW Jedda Diesel wherever we go. Why, ask my wife. She uses it to go to church.

The only thing you run into occasionally is the MotorHome bias exhibited by some trailer owners. I have heard such things as "slab sided", "Snobbish", High falootin", and so on. I pay no attention to trifles.

There are many advantages in owning a MH. Such as a built in genset and hydraulic jacks. If it's raining I merely start the generator and lower the jacks and we need not go out and get wet. You can think of many more.

We use a tow dolly so that we can tow any of our vehicles with no need to modify them. I can load or unload the vehicle from the dolly in much less time than it takes to set up a tow bar and brake buddy.

The problem will be finding a nice MH for sale as the owners tend to not sell them very often. The alternative is to buy one cheap and spend some time fixing it up.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Here's a thought. Get an Interstate and use IT as the tow vehicle for a mid-sized Airstream Trailer.

OK it's a very expensive idea.
Expensive if you buy new, but I met one fellow who routinely tows a 25 foot Tradewind with a B190 B-van. He says they camp in the Tradewind and use the B-van for running around and overnight side trips.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote