Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
Dash Heater '75 Argosy 20 MH

I need to remove and service the heater core for the dash heater. Is there any clue as to how to remove this part without cutting metal to access it? The only post I found indicated that it was accessed by removing the interior plastic panel. There is a metal panel under that, which covers the entire front to part of the passenger floor.

Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Get us some pictures. If it's like an '86 345, I can walk you through it real quick. I just had to get my core replaced.

Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Check out the most recent couple of pages in this thread:

bkahler has been working through his 20'er and has been detailing the work very well. I haven't been reading 100% since my Argosy moho is a 77 and a 24'er (lots of things changed in 3 years and 4' extra length!) but I know he's commented on getting the dash apart and redo-ing part of the HVAC system and ductwork.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky

Unfortunately the 74 Argosy is totally different than the 345. I really wish they were the same!

As Winestream said I'm in the middle of tearing most of that out of my 74 Argosy. With advice from John (Shepherd57) I've managed to get the dash top off, and I've just about got the top aluminum plate off that covers the air plenum. If you check out the link that Winestream posted you'll see where I'm at.

What I don't know as yet is whether all of the above has to be done to get to the heater core. John might be able to answer that question. I'm removing all of the system because the vacuum actuators that control the dampers on the plenum are frozen and there are vacuum actuators located inside that need to be replaced.

Have you looked on the engine side of the heater box? I recall seeing an access panel that should be accessible from the engine compartment.

Worst case, if you can hang on for about 3 weeks I will be back from a trip and will be pulling the aluminum panel of the top of the dash and will continue with tearing into the heater system. I'll be posting pictures at that time.

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote