Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
That electrical box cut out (featured in post 1) jammed my bedroom door requiring removal of the wall.

Heater fan jammed by sheet metal scrap.

Ground wires screwed on over carpeting. (This unit has been plagued by bad grounds)

Sheet metal scraps in air intake plenum.

Incorrect magnetic door switch. "Corrected" by reversing the motor wires with wire nuts under the coach. Safety functions were disabled.

I could go on an on...

I'm not talking about the occasional rivet or piece of plastic scrap.

I work on aircraft. Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My Father and Mother's words still haunt me. Their words were 'If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right'.

So to this day I will build things and clean things with no short cuts. I will use screws and counter sink just to make it look better. I clean the engine of my truck with a cloth and a little cleaner.

Ugh - what a curse. I could never work for any trailer builder.
Thank you for saying that. My grandfather was a carpenter and he taught me the "right" way to build things and take pride in your work.

I am disappointed by the work ethic displayed in our Airstream as well as in the US today. People will pay for a quality product and eventually migrate away from a poor product. The AS "brand" will only give brand equity for so long. If there is good competition, people will buy it.

I know I am on a rant but I am concerned for our economy. I see more and more people charging premium prices but selling sub-par and poor quality product.

I like our AS but at the premium price point, I would expect much better quality. It looks like a lot of the interior build was very rushed. Leave it to the customer and hope they fix it. Not a good long term business strategy. Try reading "Good to Great" for a view on Long term company strategy...

Hope AS HQ is reading the forums..

Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #87
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Those bathrooms are too beige, the tile work is all wonky and the cabinet doors are set poorly...
Criticizing a group of hobbyists for the work they do within their abilities and budgets only opens yourself to criticism of your so-called craftsmanship in kind...
LOL
You sound like someone who's low in skills and high in jealously.
Maybe if you go buy a few more tubes of vulkem you'll get both your project and invective to stick.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #88
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.
-Jack Handey

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #89
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." Aristole
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #90
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." Aristole
If you do the "nothings", how do you know when your done?

Andy
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Those that are doing "something" will tell you.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I had the occasion to locate my nonworking Bass Woofer in my 2012 Serenity last night. After reading this thread I was afraid to open the perfectly cut cover over the woofer. I expected to find metal shavings, coke cans, dirty socks, a dead rat, and nasty notes, all left from the factory employees. I knew the speaker would be dented mounted sidewise and disconnected. My hands started shaking as I shined my flashlight into the dark hole, and to my surprise I saw a very clean area with a perfectly mount speaker with no damage. I thought to myself what can be wrong with my woofer, it doesn’t work, the factory had to have done a shoddy install, not connecting the wiring, or connecting the woofer to the water system, after all they have no quality control or competence in building a trailer; this has been proven time and time again. I sat at work today pondering these thoughts and how I would get my trailer to the dealer for warranty service. Then the light went on, I called home, I asked my 19 year old son to take a look at the issue. He called back in 5 minutes telling me you have to adjust the woofer at the head unit, and by the way I set it to the old man setting.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #93
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
When there is nothing left
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Jim,
That is hilarious.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
I had the occasion to locate my nonworking Bass Woofer in my 2012 Serenity last night. After reading this thread I was afraid to open the perfectly cut cover over the woofer. I expected to find metal shavings, coke cans, dirty socks, a dead rat, and nasty notes, all left from the factory employees. I knew the speaker would be dented mounted sidewise and disconnected. My hands started shaking as I shined my flashlight into the dark hole, and to my surprise I saw a very clean area with a perfectly mount speaker with no damage. I thought to myself what can be wrong with my woofer, it doesn’t work, the factory had to have done a shoddy install, not connecting the wiring, or connecting the woofer to the water system, after all they have no quality control or competence in building a trailer; this has been proven time and time again. I sat at work today pondering these thoughts and how I would get my trailer to the dealer for warranty service. Then the light went on, I called home, I asked my 19 year old son to take a look at the issue. He called back in 5 minutes telling me you have to adjust the woofer at the head unit, and by the way I set it to the old man setting.

I have been to the same place! 14 year old step-son no help at all, though

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I may ave posted this before, but I used to work at a Buick dealership and help them check in cars as they came off the transports. This was when they were still making full sized statiowagon, the 80s?. We had a station wagon come in with all the Buick decals, lettering, moldings wheel covers on one side and the other side was all Oldsmobile stuff. There we some problems on the interior also. The dealership owner kept the car for himself even though GM wanted it back. Jim
Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Now with globalization we just have to worry whether the steering wheel is going to be on the correct side.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #98
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I may ave posted this before, but I used to work at a Buick dealership and help them check in cars as they came off the transports. This was when they were still making full sized statiowagon, the 80s?. We had a station wagon come in with all the Buick decals, lettering, moldings wheel covers on one side and the other side was all Oldsmobile stuff. There we some problems on the interior also. The dealership owner kept the car for himself even though GM wanted it back. Jim
At the Jeep Eagle store....

We had a Jeep Wagoneer on one side and Grand Wagoneer on the other, woodside on the left, chrome and paint on the right, leather in front vinyl & cloth in back.

At the Chevy Store....

Cavalier on one side Sunbird on the other....You know it's a bad day when you can't get the Make right.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote