Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Unions have their good side and their bad side. The do balance out management demands and protect the workers. But they protect bad workers as well as the good workers.

I think it is just human nature. You probably do not want a trailer built on a Friday. I was at the Factory about a month ago. I was surprised at how little automation was being used. These trailers are built by hand. I did see the automated CRC drill that matched rivet locations. That was about it. The rivets are hand set. One person on the inside pressing against the person on outside as they set the rivets. 1,400 rivets on average per trailer. As of last month they were building 35 trailers per week. I did see clipped wire scraps laying on the floor along with trim piece scraps.

I think it is just human nature to goof off a little. I think this adds to some of the QC issues with all manufactures.

They do need more automation.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They would have to make 1000 units a day to make enough to pay for the automation equipment.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't see Airstream factory workers as any different than most of us, just a slice from the American pie. Thank goodness for that.

Airstream management is there to make money for the larger company. A factory tour indicates to me there is pride in their company and product as well, and that is reaffirmed in the two new Airstreams we have bought. The product has improved significantly in the past few years.

It's never going to be perfect, but there are also responsibilities after the factory that contribute to quality and satisfaction.

RV dealers are often not holding up their end of the deal. Many of the complaints we see on the forum should have been taken care of by the dealer before delivery. It seems some just peel off the shipping materials, wash it, and present the customer with the keys. Or it sits around the showroom, on the lot for extended periods, and hauled off to RV shows to get kicked around. Even though Airstream has dealer standards, they are not always followed.

And how about us. We have a responsibility to maintain the Airstream according to where and how we use it. The two biggest gripes, corrosion and leaks, can be controlled by regular inspections, treatment, and timely repair. There is a two year warranty, use it to fix defects. Then it's yours to take care of, or hire someone to inspect and service it for you.

The way we use and store the Airstream is important. We have been advised to choose tow vehicles and hitch systems that match the trailer. Pulling it through wet, salt-treated winter roadways, or parking it for long periods at salt-water coastlines will corrode metal trailers. Storing it outside in hot sunny climates will deteriorate seals and clear coat over time.

If you have a good dealership, you are fortunate as they can be a great asset.

To me, quality and satisfaction go beyond the the assembly line. I think they are improving. I am also glad we have this forum to learn how to set up, maintain and repair our Airstream from experienced users.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Having read a good part of this thread, I am sympathetic with all of you. I too believe that the quality and care, pride of fabricating something so unique to our own particular society has lacked in the past decades.
I too work in the manufacturing industry.
Maybe this was stated somewhere in the last couple of pages but maybe a group of AS owners should bond together and take over the stocks of AS and get them back on the right track.
As they say "if you don't like where your feet are walkin" change the trail."
Quality is governed by those who care, purchase, and complain.
AS has all the right qualities just governed by those who only want to make the most $$.
The equation is as follows: Better Quality + Greater Craftmanship may = a little less profit in short term but equals greater long-term satsfaction + better reputation which in turn ='s greater sales which ='s greater profits.

Hopefully I have not offended anyone. Just my humble opinion.
65Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Overland, no offense here. I couldn't be happier with the design and build quality of our new Airstream; this may not be everyone's experience, but the product we have is excellent. Others have similar reports.

doug k
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Overland, no offense here. I couldn't be happier with the design and build quality of our new Airstream; this may not be everyone's experience, but the product we have is excellent. Others have similar reports.

doug k
Everyday at Airstream, is trash day.

Waste disposal in Jackson Center, is expensive.

So, Airstream just ships it out.

Just like California ships out the bad air in Bubble Wrap.

Not really for Airstream.

Are they perfect? HECK NO.

BUT............they try really really hard to be pretty damn good.

Over the course of 40 years visiting them, it has always been very nice.

The plant is great and the workers always have time to say "Hi" when you visit.

Service also does a very good job.

Perfect? No.

But darn close to it.

Parts department? WOW. They doooooooooo get the job done. Sometimes it may take a little longer, but they get it done in support of their dealers. They too, sometimes must contend with back orders from some of their suppliers.

Overall bottom line?

If you can find an RV company from top to bottom that tries harder than those at Airstream, then "jump" on it, because you will look long and hard to find it, if ever.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I am happy with our 2012 FC purchased new, and really no problems to speak of. A couple of little things I fixed myself. I'll keep my fingers crossed though.

We have to remember - if we can, that very little of what we buy any more is hand made like this. We are now accustomed to buying iPODS and flat TVs and PCs that are all built 99% by automated equipment, and the parts are all precision made in molds of exquisite precision. An Airstream trailer is not an iPOD. It is all basically cut & fit pieces handmade. It is simply not feasible to hire $50/hr. craftsmen or artisans to build trailers. First, you'd probably not be able to find them in enough numbers, and second the price of the trailer would be even higher yet.

An Airstream is built a lot like an average new tract house. Very low skilled labor, at pretty low wages, but managed into a performance level that is acceptable. I bought a new house 10 years ago and watched it being built. At some point I just had to stop watching. But, at the end of the day it was "ok" considering the price paid.

The world today is not what it was in 1950, so forget it. If you really want a trailer built to a "craft standard" buy one from "Timeless Travels" or whatever that guy is who builds 'em for $150Gs. And keep in mind it's not at all like the auto business where automated assembly lines crank out thousands of units a week with hair-fine tolerances.

I think they do a decent job, but always room for improvement too. And no, I don't blame the workers. I bet they are average young guys like anywhere else.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think if Airstream would spend a little time of these forums they would really know what to improve. Most of the problems are easy to fix before the trailer is built. Changing the design of that rear bumper plate that is such a problem would really do a lot. Airstream GET RID OF THAT PLATE.

Perry
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I think if Airstream would spend a little time of these forums they would really know what to improve. Most of the problems are easy to fix before the trailer is built. Changing the design of that rear bumper plate that is such a problem would really do a lot. Airstream GET RID OF THAT PLATE.

Perry
They have a Service Center at Jackson Center that provides plenty of input; they repair rotten floors and corroded components every day, on warranty. I believe they are well aware of these problems and I see improvements in the new Airstreams intended to fix them.

An example is the rear bumper plate. Starting 2012 models they install a tubular seal compressed between the shell and the plate. It's early to know if this works. On earlier models I believe they caulk the area at the Service Center.
They probably have a reason for the plate, because it would be easier to build without it, maybe wet road crud blown up onto the back of the trailer.

Another example is leaking screws/rivets attaching awnings and rock guards. They now have a seal there plus caulking under the screws, and caulk the head of the pop rivets. There was leaking under the tail lights; they now have an inner mould that directs any water out the unsealed lower side of the fixture.

Another is corrosion around the belt line. For several late model years they have installed and sealed a moulding around the area.

These are a sampling of improvements I am aware of. The point is they are not just sitting on their laurels and hoping for the best.

doug k
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

....No just sitting for two years 'til the warrantee runs out....

Bob
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Whatever . . .

doug k
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Very pleased so far with our 2012 - no other experience to compare...given the abuse a rolling home is going to take, I'm amazed they last as long as they do! We also went to an RV show and no offense (my inlaws are SOBowners) but the build, feel, level of materials really didn't even come close to the level of quality we feel we got with our AS. Just sayin...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Griping about quality.

I'm going to dive in again!
Please notice I did not actually mention any specific company in my post. Now I am going to.
I have to agree that Airstreams of all ages are definitely on the higher side of the RV bell curve.
For comparison, have you looked at a ten year old Southwind lately?
Have a pint , All the best. Cheers.Rich.
LimeyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Have you looked at a Montana?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Heck, yes, not only looked at ... but we live in the best Montana! or...oh, did you mean TT? How about a Forest River product ...the local dealer said to expect those to last about four years!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
My bad...Montana by Keystone. But yes, I love Montana the State too!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I like my trailer and believe that I got my monies worth, but for those who have 2011, 2012, or 2013 models, your time will come. You say they are all roses now, but in about five years or more, when you need to take something apart [like I did] and find a pile of scraps left in the cabinet, under the oven and above the furnace, you will wonder just how long that trash would have been hiding inside of your brand new trailer if you had never needed to look in there. And the person who left this trash in your brand new trailer [during assembly] will also wonder in the back of his mind how long it will take you, if ever, to find this treasure hidden somewhere that you might never need to or want to look in. You may also, like I did, find a piece or two, of wood cabinetry [in a place you might never look] that has the look of having been sawn with the precision of a chain saw. [end of bed frame in mine]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Example.....

I'll second Robert's trash findings....
Bic lighter and Sniker wrapper found under rug in rear storage compartment..(8" from water heater) + trash found in most areas that needed repairs.

One example, could have been very costly if not found 2weeks after delivery thanks to the forums......

These are not illustrations of poor quality, just poor execution, something that can be taken care of with an attitude adjustment...

Bob
Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This picture is exactly why I don't like putty tape. As you can see it is not getting the job done. It did not help that none of it was under the flange.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'll second Robert's trash findings....
Bic lighter and Sniker wrapper found under rug in rear storage compartment..(8" from water heater) + trash found in most areas that needed repairs.

One example, could have been very costly if not found 2weeks after delivery thanks to the forums......

These are not illustrations of poor quality, just poor execution, something that can be taken care of with an attitude adjustment...

Bob
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
My wife and I purchased a 20' Flying Cloud after attending several shows and examining hundreds of trailers in that size and weight class. I have always like the look and design of the Airstream and was always lead to believe that it is the best of the best. This will be our fifth travel trailer and hopefully our last. I have done some major reconstruction on new trailers in the past and was looking forward to owning a trailer that was constructed properly by people who take pride in what they do. Wrong!!! This trailer has some pretty high tech features for a travel trailer and some great design features. I love the way it tows down the road for one thing. I know because I have towed it back to the dealer three times so far with another trip scheduled and we haven't used it yet. I know that nothing is perfect and nothing is easy but the lack of quality control has left me wishing that we kept looking. I keep thinking and hoping that once I get the bugs worked out it will be a good home away from home and we will make many happy memories in our "silver jellybean" but at this point I can honestly say that the "hype" does not match the reality.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote