Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think if AS moved to a floor design similar to the VRV, I would seriously consider buying a new one - otherwise not!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure an a corroding aluminum floor is better than a rotting wood floor. In either case it won't happen if the Rv doesn't leak, and that is a challenge for the manufacturer and the owner.

If you compare a new Airstream to earlier models, knowing the trouble areas, you will see improvements. That doesn't help those of us who have owned or still own earlier models, but it is not entirely right to complain they are not doing anything to improve the product.

Go take a look at the new Airstreams, compare your Airstream's faults, and report back. Would be interesting to see those opinions.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #243
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Check out Livin lite truck campers and trailers. All aluminum frame. No wood, only composites and a little steel. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #244
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
We got home on Friday after our month on the road. Cleaning up we found some mice turds and damage to some of our food. The best way to get rid of them is to remove the food and water sources. So I went on a thorough cleaning spree. I pulled all the drawers and access covers to plumbing etc. Found out we also had a red squirrel problem. We were parked under a wild cherry tree at my folks place for about a week. My sister stored their new trailer out there for the winter and about $3000 in damage to wiring, sofas, and mattresses. They had chewed a hole through the bottom plastic belly pan and had a party.

I found a pile of cherry pits stored under the sink cabinets and under the shower. I did a creeper tour of the underside to figure out how they got in. I found this big hole between the propane tank and frame. Its the drain for the kitchen sink and the hole is located under the refrigerator. You can see the light from a flashlight under the kitchen cabinet near their one of their stashes. I drilled 2 access holes so I could clean out more seeds turds from under the refrigerator ad try to figure out how to seal it up.

Airstream did such a nice job of sealing everything else that I can not imagine that is was designed that way. I fabricated a cover for the hole and shot the cavity full of rodent resistant foam. Didn't know it existed until the guy at the hardware store showed it to me.

This little "error" could have costed me some major headaches it they had chewed up the wires and destroyed the furniture like my sister's.

I also had a problem with power coming off idle when we got back to Boulder. The air is a little thinner and is was hot but it was struggling. First thing to look at on a diesel with power issues is obstructions in the air induction system. The diesel pusher has a 12 inch square hole in the rear side for induction air. They cut the hole through the body between ribs and screwed in a screened and louvered vent. They didn't block off between the inner and outer skins giving access to the insulation to vermin. The vent feeds air to a box which has easy access from the engine compartment. A 8 inch hose is anchored by a screw to the bottom and feeds the air cleaner. (I complained about the rough cut hole and construction debris left in the induction box earlier) Mice or squirrels had pulled out a bunch of the wall insulation and built a nest in the induction hose that ended up in the air filter.

I have yet to have a problem that was not a result of poor workmanship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuts.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	186635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	186636  

Name:	Access holes.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	186637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patch.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	186638  

Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #245
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
That ORB roman tub filler is off center and your diverter valve handle is bassackwards.
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #246
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1432130428.070030.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	238851

Here's a good one I found on the 94 I just bought. There's a heat duct running under the floor. It's tapped with 3" duct tubbing running to the water and waste tank housings for cold weather camping. Evidently, these two were miss located and came down on top of a frame member. The duct was connected from the waste water tank housing to the sewer/water hook up locker doing nothing. The heat duct blows out nice warm air to the outside. It also provides a nice access point for vermin to build nests and store food on the heat exchanger presenting a potential fire hazard.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote