Old 05-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #183
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

AS likes to brag, especially in print, that there is such & such percent of their trailers still on the road.
What's not acknowledged enough is what it's taken to KEEP those Airstreams' on the road....a VERY dedicated base of enthusiastic supporters.
Without them there would nowhere near whatever percentage they might want to quote in this years ad.

We've owned our Classic for 10years now, I no longer have to rationalize the initial cost.
I've dealt with all the QC/build concerns that my abilities permit, so I guess I'm a tiny percentage of that oft quoted percentage.

Question is why are we still discussing many of these same problems?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Question is why are we still discussing many of these same problems?

Bob
As TG states they are the ones not addressed. The one I really can't understand is the corrosion issue, you would think that they would have of jumped on that.
I had occasion to inspect a 34 foot 1968 Morgan Yawl ( A southern Catch) which a friend just brought from Washington State thru the Panama Canal to New Orleans. The boat still had the original standing rigging, wood interior, diesel engine, winches, ports, thru hulls and the list goes on. The boat is still Blue Water Sea Worthy, that is quality.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #185
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Jim,

I like to think the same about our "little" boat. Quality & Pride.

It's nice to have a mission statement....and follow it.

"The Impeccable Quality of Allison Boats"
"The best of design and engineering processes must be teamed with exceptional materials and quality craftsmanship to obtain a uniquely useful, durable, and efficient product. Allison boasts the industry’s first and only welded and laminated Alloy grid transom reinforcement. Allison was first to eliminate transom rot from the list of boat owners’ woes. Metal transom reinforcement with no wood structure was perfected at Allison in the early eighties. Another significant first for Allison set an industry standard. In conjunction with the reinforced No-Rot transom, Allison simultaneously in the eighties removed all wood from the boat structure. Just in the last few years many other companies have started trying to emulate this standard. The Allison difference is a twenty year head start. The best design, engineering, and materials cannot build a superior product without an unusually high build quality.
At Allison, build quality is the product and responsibility of a few highly trained and experienced craftsmen. If you visit our plant on Monday and then again on Friday, chances are you will see most of the same boats at a slightly different level of completion. Hand fitment by skilled craftsmen of virtually every part of structure, superstructure, and each accessory assures the absolute highest quality boat available at any price. Each process is checked, checked again and then inspected. Each Allison Bass Boat for example, is the product of four to five times the man hours required to build our competitors’ similar sized boat. Hand lay-up of every ounce of cloth and resin is time consuming. So is the process of removing every extra ounce of unnecessary resin from the lay-up. Only with such measures can you build a truly exceptional and world class boat. Only one boat holds the most single engine world speed records. Only one Bass Boat can guarantee his owner to be the first to the fishing hole. Only Allison takes the care to design, engineer, and craft from the finest materials available a boat that will last your lifetime. That is the Allison Difference."

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, when I need to replace my 1983 boat I'll get an Allison because the company says they are the best. If I need to replace my Airstream, I'll get another Airstream because my experience is that of a high quality, beautiful assembled product that is always repairable when needed, and well worth the effort in value and satisfaction.

doug k
Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #187
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
But aren't there some credibility issues of an advocate who uses a 39-year-old Airstream (Argosy) complaining that the company has a long history of producing trailers that aren't built to last?

doug k
Doug.

Interesting question.

If some feel that Airstreams should last forever, then how come the people that use them, don't last forever either?

Maybe Airstream would consider giving someone a new trailer, absolutely free, if they owned the same one for at least 60 years and were at least 90 years old.

But then, that would more than likely hurt sales.

Andy
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #188
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
And Airstream states they make the best Airstreams...so what does that prove. They have no Corporate Mission Statement, only to "make no changes...only improvements", one improvement that would be welcome, quality that matches price point.

BTW...I'm happy for all those folks who feel the "value", I didn't when I bought new 10 years ago, and at todays prices I'm pretty sure I wouldn't today.

Bob....the "basher" with pictures.

;

RLC

RLC
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #189
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, here's what I can say. We've had our Airstream nearly two years, traveled and lived in in for a total of 12 months so far. It has been coast to coast, and north to south twice. It has no leaks or corrosion. It had a new but faulty clearance light design, Jackson Center replaced all 11 fixtures with a better design. We had a loose door hinge, they tightened it. A hand-tightened fitting needed snugging down. That's it.

We had a 2007 Airstream, also an excellent trailer. But there have been improvements.
All the external screws are stainless steel, as is the propane cover latch.
The upper and lower belt line seams are sealed and covered with trim.
A compression seal is installed between the shell and the rear bumper cover plate.
All external seams are sealed (as earlier), then another line of sealant is run along each.
The roof seams have a much heavier sealant applied nicely to all seams and openings.
External rivets to hold all awnings and segment protectors are sealed under and over.
Door hardware is coated with a sealer, as are tail lights. No corrosion yet.
Most lighting is LED to conserve power, the toilet is porcelain, elect/propane water heater.
All cabinets, shelves and partitions are plywood.

It is all assembled beautifully. We toured the factory, visiting with workers and going inside Airstreams in production. Clean and well organized, nice people. Their Service Center is absolutely first rate in every way. The president/CEO's office is on the mezzanine overlooking the production floor.

We do our part with regular inspection and maintenance of our Airstream.

Trash the company and repost the photos all you want, but what more can I ask of an exquisite RV that camps with others costing hundreds of thousands of dollars more and are frequented by mobile repair vans.

doug k
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #190
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"Trash the company and repost the photos all you want, but what more can I ask of an exquisite RV that camps with others costing hundreds of thousands of dollars more and are frequented by mobile repair vans."

Doug,
Trash the Company...really? Nobody's "trashing" anything.
I'm thrilled that you feel as you do about your Airstream experience.

And yes, I will continue to post what you seem to feel so ambivalent about, with photo's if possible.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #191
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Again, reporting the same things over and over is childish at best, neurotic at worst. Jim
Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #192
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Again, reporting the same things over and over is childish at best, neurotic at worst. Jim
Jim,

Now that's what I call "bashing"....good job!

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Jim,

Now that's what I call "bashing"....good job!

Bob
I agree.

Gene
Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is true no one "forced" us to buy an Airstream, but that isn't the point. We were not very knowledgeable about RV's though I did spend a lot of time on the Forum learning about them. There were threads about quality issues and corrosion, but it seems it got a lot worse a bit later, or I just missed them.

The point is that if a company makes a mediocre product and boasts of premium quality at a premium price, they should be taken to task for it. Caveat emptor is a principal I hope has seen its day because people shouldn't have to suffer from poorly made products because they don't have all the knowledge an expert has.

Gene
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #195
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It is true no one "forced" us to buy an Airstream, but that isn't the point. We were not very knowledgeable about RV's though I did spend a lot of time on the Forum learning about them. There were threads about quality issues and corrosion, but it seems it got a lot worse a bit later, or I just missed them.

The point is that if a company makes a mediocre product and boasts of premium quality at a premium price, they should be taken to task for it. Caveat emptor is a principal I hope has seen its day because people shouldn't have to suffer from poorly made products because they don't have all the knowledge an expert has.

Gene
Yup,
The only thing a person has is their "word". That word is trust or deceit.

I cared for each customer as if they were my last one. They each knew my "word" was my bond. It is about honor.

Today, with our "enlightened value" system we are reaping what we sowed... Or coming home to roost... Pick your favorite analogy.

No longer is there "right" or "wrong", but "how much profit did I get"... Or "how do I benefit?".... Isn't that the way it is supposed to be? Isn't it about the bottom line rather than a line I won't cross? If I don't cross the line I may get fired and my family is at risk. But then I have "right to work", whatever I am willing and able to do...

Surely this is all illusion because we trust our keepers.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I could not have said it better!
Just today: here on the forum. I saw 2 threads on leaking showers. One was on a 2005 the other a 2012 A$, if I remember correctly.
These are reported by people who are aware of the problem.
How many out there have rotten or wet floor problems on the newer rigs and are not aware of them. And don't have any idea of the things to look for.
There is a thread (today) where someone is buying a NEW A$. And one recommendation from a member here. Was to camp in the coach at the dealer for a couple of days to make sure everything works.
My question would be. Why should the customer do this? Why wasn't the unit FULLY checked out at the factory by QC, before it was shipped. Second question. Why hasn't the dealer FULLY checked out the unit before it is put on the lot. Just to make sure the factory didn't miss something.
In my opinion. Every customer who buys a unit at this price. Should be given training on all of the systems in the coach that require interaction by the buyer. A DVD with information on how to operate the systems. What are the functions of things like grey water tanks, black water tanks, what the valve functions are, how to tell the difference between the fresh water fill and the black tank flush hose connections. And the list goes on. How to properly winterize the unit. The do's and don'ts and so on.
At these kind of prices, all manuals to do with the unit should be on PDF files on a Cd for the customer to refer to at their convenience. These files should include operating and trouble shooting information on every system in the coach.
These are the things I would require and expect. If I were to purchase a new unit at these top drawer prices.