Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #201
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'd have been satisfied with legible pages in the loose leaf binder, that were not generic to all trailers, I spent more time looking for our Classic model than reading what I was looking for.

And BTW I'd want at least an ipod.

Bob
I am in the middle of adding a solar charging system with an inverter/charger addition to an '08 Winnibago View (on a Sprinter 3500 chassis) and guess what?............... It is fairly clean behind the walls (I have a lot of the cabinets exposed to run wiring) AND the owner has a complete set of wiring and plumbing diagrams that came with the unit.

Interesting....................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Just, checking in. 5th day of camping at Navarre Beach Fl. and nothing has broken or fallen off. I haven't cut my foot on any metal shaving or gotten a splinter in my heel from a stray wood chip. The campground is perfect, the food is perfect, the beach is perfect and the water is perfect. It could be better, all you guys could be here so we could chew on the issues face to face and enjoy camping.

I have no problem with printed manuals, in fact I like them. It would be nice to have a backup on DVD but not everyone is carrying iPads and Laptops hard to believe, BTW I do more than most. The owners of the trailers of the past relied on face to face contact and newsletters, I suspect a lot of them just figured things out. Of course they didn't have all the electronic thermostats, entertainment systems and safety controls that the appliances now have. As a Navy Machinist Mate the first thing you did when reporting to a new ship was trace every system in the engine room, so figuring out how things work is second nature to me, others who have not have that experience need good directions.

I did find after we paddled about a mile across Santa Rosa Sound that the gleam off of the Airstream was not as big as I had hoped.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #203
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
I'd have been satisfied with legible pages in the loose leaf binder, that were not generic to all trailers, I spent more time looking for our Classic model than reading what I was looking for.

And BTW I'd want at least an ipod.

Bob
The documentation on mine is a bit of a sore spot. Part of the problem is the limited production of the Classic 360 on the Spartan EC2000 chassis. The Spartan documentation is very professional. The coach documentation as it was intended to be installed on the front engine P30 chassis is not bad. The modifications to mate the two is dismal at best. Totally useless for trouble shooting. Wiring diagrams, color codes, and routings don't match. Looks like they were done in a real rush. The factory wiring is very nice. The interface between the two components is amateurish at best and has been the source of mine an the original owners problems. Low quality crimp on connectors in weather exposed areas and grounds terminals screwed on over carpet with sheet metal screws worked fine for a couple years. Trying to work on anything under the dash is a nightmare due to sloppy routing and extra wire just wadded up and tie wrapped to keep it from getting tangled in your feet. Totally unserviceable.

P.s. We do really love this rig and are currently camped in the UP of Michigan in week 4 of our trip. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it and can do all of my own work. I think the motor homes share the trailer issues with those added by the "motor" stuff!
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #204
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Dakota,

Can't imagine what it must be like dealing with three different sources, without a quality interface...good luck!!

Bob
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #205
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Dakota,

Can't imagine what it must be like dealing with three different sources, without a quality interface...good luck!!

Bob
We just had a flawless 500 mile day of driving through the rain and fog from Manistique Mi up to pictured rocks and across 28 to Duluth. We are camped on Leach Lake outside of Bemiji Mn.

The work has been frustrating but worth the effort to get everything functional and reliable. My entire career as an engineer and mechanic has been unf###ing other people's bad designs and poor implementations. That's what prompted me to start this thread. Time to builds fire and cook up some steaks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-829640175.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	186333  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
(Snip) Time to builds fire and cook up some steaks!
Amen! Sweet pooch you got there too!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #207
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Amen! Sweet pooch you got there too!
And he loves Airstream camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3991522144.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	186337  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
:-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #209
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
while i understand it is hard to see how someone with a vintage airstream can have such a gripe about new AS's... I will say this. I have seen a lot of issues with new airstreams on the forums and I think I would be quite disappointed if i paid so much and got anything less than the quality i would expect from a professional - people who do this for a living and are supposed to do it better than me, the amateur.

So I quietly stick to my vintage units and rebuild from the ground up,, getting the quality i expect at a price i can afford!

besides, when something is less-than-perfect, now i only have myself to blame. I don't feel so bad when it breaks b/c i messed it up.

and if i DID have the $$ to buy new, i'd buy from someone like franks trailer works or timeless ; i have yet to see a single complaint about these outfits.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #210
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
while i understand it is hard to see how someone with a vintage airstream can have such a gripe about new AS's... I will say this. I have seen a lot of issues with new airstreams on the forums and I think I would be quite disappointed if i paid so much and got anything less than the quality i would expect from a professional - people who do this for a living and are supposed to do it better than me, the amateur.

So I quietly stick to my vintage units and rebuild from the ground up,, getting the quality i expect at a price i can afford!

besides, when something is less-than-perfect, now i only have myself to blame. I don't feel so bad when it breaks b/c i messed it up.

and if i DID have the $$ to buy new, i'd buy from someone like franks trailer works or timeless ; i have yet to see a single complaint about these outfits.
I stopped by timeless a couple weeks ago. Very nice people that take a lot of pride in their projects. Very willing to share advise.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Taking about lack of quality in a 39 year old unit is really setting the bar very high. In most 39 year homes all the appliances have been replaced, the heating system and the AC systems, a new roof installed, and the list goes on. Trailers are made light and towed down rough roads, pelted 60 mph rain showers on the road, baked in the sun, parked un unleveled ground, sit unused for long periods of time, and the list goes on.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #212
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Taking about lack of quality in a 39 year old unit is really setting the bar very high. In most 39 year homes all the appliances have been replaced, the heating system and the AC systems, a new roof installed, and the list goes on. Trailers are made light and towed down rough roads, pelted 60 mph rain showers on the road, baked in the sun, parked un unleveled ground, sit unused for long periods of time, and the list goes on.
True... however when you find obvious factory screwups that occurred during the original build, it just goes to show that there has been little improvement in QC over those past 39 years. Things like the much larger than needed hole in the roof for the vent stack that they tried to cover with duct tape and then had to heat the plumbing stack with a torch to make it move over just enough to make the hole. The stack still rubbed on the side of the side of the roof sheet enough to wear a hole in the stack, allowing water to get into the trailer and rot our some interior wall framing. No amount of preventive maintenance would have prevented that. Found one roof locker that only had one screw holding the attachment rail to the wall, took it down to discover that the other holes had never been drilled, it should have had 4, and the list goes on...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #213
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Aaron, I have to think that is why the weren't sold with a 40 year warranty.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #214
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I pulled freshwater inspection plate and spare parts fell out! So it isn't "trash" it is more value! These AS just dribble VALUE!

Isn't that what Harley's do?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Speaking of dribbling I have 3 sports cars 2 55 year old cars and 1 37 year old car, at shows we often have oil leak contests.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #216
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
If Airstream built every little gadget and gizmo and delivered a surgery room clean trailer to a dealer, no one, or very few could ever afford it.

The requests keep on coming in, and I have heard many of them in my 47 years, for better metal, better chassis, better axles, better brakes, forever lubed bearings, better tires, better windows, better appliances, better drapes, better furniture, better floor, better carpeting, better gaskets, better doors, better access doors, better AC's, better and bigger water, gray and black water tanks, better and bigger LPG bottles, better bathrooms, better toilets, AND the number one request, is a cheaper price, along with a forever warranty.

Come on Airstream, your missing the boat.

Providing all the above can easily be done, and would wipe Airstream off the map.

Asking is great.

Wishing is great.

Helpful suggestions is great.

Griping is great too, but only for the people that sell booze, that are the ultimate financial winners.

Airstream makes a great product, and always has. But they are built by humans, who are not perfect.

Time changes they way humans do things.

And ipads and ipods surely arn't helping humans to get smarter, only a way to ask questions and get answers that they won't remember.

In my experience, most of the faults are the dealers who sell the coaches and never give them the pre-delivery inspection, that they are supposed to do, since they are paid to do it.

Ah, some of the good old days, compared to some of the new days, are still number ONE.

Oh well.

Non of us last forever, either, nor are we built or created to perfection.

Lets enjoy what we have, and hope we wake up tomorrow, on the right side of the grass.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #217
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Aaron, I have to think that is why the weren't sold with a 40 year warranty.
I wouldn't expect a 40 year warranty but then again there are plenty of warranty horror stories too. I would expect a level of detail more in line with the cost of the trailers. I have looked at many other makes of RV's and have a hard time understanding how Airstream justifies it's premium prices on it's products. I know I would be very frustrated to spend the price of a current Classic 30 and find the things I see reported on a regular basis. I don't expect perfection, but many of the reported issues are what should fall under construction 101.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #218
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Speaking of dribbling I have 3 sports cars 2 55 year old cars and 1 37 year old car, at shows we often have oil leak contests.
If that floats your boat, personally I prefer my cars to not leak critical fluids...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
If that floats your boat, personally I prefer my cars to not leak critical fluids...

Aaron
Aaron, you don't have a clue about vintage english sports cars do you? Oil leaks are a tradition. The electrical systems are provided by Lucas or as many refer to as the Prince of Darkness. It is not about the quality. As far as boats right now what floats it is a Nimble Nomad.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I wouldn't expect a 40 year warranty but then again there are plenty of warranty horror stories too. I would expect a level of detail more in line with the cost of the trailers. I have looked at many other makes of RV's and have a hard time understanding how Airstream justifies it's premium prices on it's products. I know I would be very frustrated to spend the price of a current Classic 30 and find the things I see reported on a regular basis. I don't expect perfection, but many of the reported issues are what should fall under construction 101.

Aaron
Aaron I do appreciate your concern for those of of us who are buying the new units it is good to know we have someone looking out for our welfare. I do love the vintage trailers and I am looking for another, when I find the right one I will grab it.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost