Old 01-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodstock , Georgia
Convert twin bed to a king bed

Anyone have a recommendation as to the best way to convert a set of twin beds to a king size bed?

We are looking at a Classic 30 A or J.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

ridgwayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Our 310 motorhome had twins in back with a a nightstand between them. The top of the nightstand was more or less even with the top of the mattresses. I removed the nightstand, covered the gap with 1/2" plywood, and threw the new mattress on top. If I were going to do it again, I would just cut the nightstand down and use its top to support one end of the mattress. You will find other threads by better woodworkers than me who have created nifty storage solutions around the edges of the new mattress.

Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I've done it!

I did this exact conversion to my 34 footer.

I built a "bridge" out of 3/8" plywood that jumped from side to side. On the bottom of this sheet, I put 3/4" thick by 2" wide stiffeners that were about 1/8" shorter than the gap between the two existing twin bed platforms. These 3/4" strips not only stiffened the 3/8" plywood sheet, but they also hold it in place between the two existing platforms. I put them about every 10" down the length of the piece. So my King mattress is lengthwise direction from side to side in the back, and it's widthwise direction is from the back of the coach running forward. It works great.

If you can't get a good nights' sleep, then your vacation will be ruined. A good bunk is the #1 thing you need to have in a trailer.

Oh, I got those cheap foam pool floaties and wedged around the ends of the mattress against the back and sidewalls of the trailer to "lock" it in place. It's worked great.

Best of luck,
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
This is what we did.

Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote