Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Complete redo of mechanics, electric, plumbing, etc.

Anyone every taken a Airstream MH that has been sitting for almost 20 years and redone all the operational stuff short of engine and transmission, rear axels, etc.

Supposedly the engines runs well, the basic drive components work, but nothing to do with the electrical system, Plumbing, generator, A/C etc. has been used for over 17 years. So it seems a complete redo is necessary.

Any ideas on how much that might cost, just looking for a high low estimate as I have no idea. But I assume, all window seals replaced, any rubber part anywhere replaced. Probably new roof top a/c (2), new tires, and probably more.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Robert
image360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
More details

For 16 years it was in a hay barn, outside for another 3 years. Maintenance done to the engine and transmission all hoses, belts, water pump, replaced, rebuilt carb, today parked under a carport.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The really big question that will determine answers to your question is this........How much of the work are you expecting, willing, able to do? How handy are you, if not, how much would you like to learn.

If you really want to know everything about your coach and don't want to be helpless stranded on the side of the road; you need to start working on her. The more systems you work on the more comfortable you will be driving her to far off places.

For the stuff I'm not sure about, like mechanics, I have a friend that owns a 325 that can help out with a phone call if I have a question. Sunday, for example he's coming to help me replace my vent with a Maxxair and also cut a new vent into my rear lounge for another Maxxair. I in return help him out in other ways.

If your coach was stored indoors, which it seems to have been, you may find a lot of systems just need to be cleaned out with a bit of elbow grease, cleaner and lubricant.

Roof air may need just a clean out (drains) and a recharge.

The electrical is probably fine but turn things on and start pulling fuses to find out what systems are turned off on what fuses.

Air compressor again will need a clean out and lubrication. Lines should be okay but air tank maybe old and rusted out inside.

Plumbing can be redone with Wirsbo/Uponor expandable Pex A piping. A little practice and constructing a lot of the piping out of the coach helped immensely. Anyone can do this and the tool can be rented.

New tires I already wrote about. You can put on the tires yourself and balance with dynabeads or Centramatics but a tire shop doesn't charge too much.

As far as window seals, see how they are first.

Do one system at a time:

I would replace all fuel and return lines from the gas tank first with Ethanol friendly fuel lines. We have lost a number of coach's lately from fuel fires.

Get the engine running with oil, coolant and thermostat change. Drain transmission fluid and rear differential fluid.

Air compressor and air ride system check

Brakes: New master cyclinder as your old one probably has jelly in it and will damage a seal as soon as you push the pedal down. New fluid with the new master and fluid flush. Check pistons in callipers for movement and replace if necessary. New pads all around.

Suspension: check everything and replace bottom ball joints if any play at all. See Henderson Supersteer products.

New wipers.

After that, it's just gravy.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by image360 View Post
Anyone every taken a Airstream MH that has been sitting for almost 20 years and redone all the operational stuff short of engine and transmission, rear axels, etc.

Supposedly the engines runs well, the basic drive components work, but nothing to do with the electrical system, Plumbing, generator, A/C etc. has been used for over 17 years. So it seems a complete redo is necessary.

Any ideas on how much that might cost, just looking for a high low estimate as I have no idea. But I assume, all window seals replaced, any rubber part anywhere replaced. Probably new roof top a/c (2), new tires, and probably more.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Robert
15 to 20K
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks folks!

Well, I must be joining the Airstream cult with lots of good Karma. I just got off the phone with a photographer that also just happens to be a vintage car restoration nut.

So, he is going to not only take photo's for me but write a report on what he thinks needs to be done.

Cool.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
15 to 20K
The number sounds reasonable to me, but could you suggest where in Austin a person would likely be able to procure such services in a timely manner?

I'm curious because we have tremendous difficulty in Houston. RV-related labor is $120 per hour across the board, but there's so much demand even at that price that it's difficult to get anything done. And then the number of hours that they tend to book on any given task seems pretty high to me.

OP, our Airstream MH is not as old as the one you are looking into, but even at nine years of age we have had our share of repair and replacement challenges and of course there will be more as it continues to age. We've replaced the electrical converter, almost all of the gray and black water plumbing system, propane tank, fridge, cab carpeting, miscellaneous rusted hardware throughout which is a process that is still ongoing (screws and other pieces were not stainless), furnace thermostat, upgraded the shocks, sway bar, horn, plus we've added solar, a three-camera monitoring system (backup and both sides), TriMetric battery monitor, a bunch of other little stuff, and we are in the process of upgrading to lithium and upgrading the headlights (older MH's don't have projectors which can be a bigger problem than many people first realize).

Most of that work we did ourselves. If you get into that type of thing on a DIY level, expect it to dominate the recreational component of your life over a time span of years. You're either working on the rig or camping with the rig, but as the other poster correctly noted, once you get a lot of this type of stuff completed, you roll down the road knowing that your rig is not going to fail in any way.

If you'd like to read about our repairs and upgrade adventures to get a feel for what's involved, here's our blog:

http://interstateblog.blogspot.com/
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The number sounds reasonable to me, but could you suggest where in Austin a person would likely be able to procure such services in a timely manner?
To make it simple, I would divide the restoration of a classic Airstream Motorhome into 4 Areas:
1. Mechanical maintenance and repairs
2. Coach systems (plumbing, gas, electric etc)
3. Interior decoration
4. Exterior (aluminum/windows) maintenance and restoration

Each of the areas requires a different skill set and just a few of us dare to tackle all of them. If I would be looking for a service shop, I would first identify which category the service falls under and proceed accordingly.
For example:
Austin has a mobile Rv repair guy (Dan with TDRV) that will come to your house and do certain RV related repairs. I doubt he would replace your ball joint or help you decorate your interior
Truck service centers will tackle many of the heavy truck repairs like balljoints and front end alignments.
You can find several ads for exterior polishing, some of them need to be approached with caution.
etc, etc

Image360 (Robert) contacted me and I offered him a full check up (all 4 areas), along with teaching him the systems and giving him a preliminary cost estimate (I would expect to be paid for my time). This is not my business and I am not really interested in doing any of the work, but it would get him started to look for the right people to do the work.

We have a big network of Classic Airstream owners and I would think that others would be more than willing to offer a similar service in other areas.
AIR #13
Old 06-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Not going to happen

Thanks all for the input, but this one was in such bad shape that it would have taken easily well over 60K to fix. Not in the budget or worth it. Suggested to the seller that they sell it for parts, but the guy is going to retire soon and make it his project. So good luck to him!

Robert
Old 06-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
"I recently purchased a 1988 325 in great shape. The interior is almost like new. The question I have is I plan to turn this into a bike rental and sales space. I plan to pretty much strip all but the kitchen and bath out. I've put these interior parts up for sale on Craigs list, and have a couple of interested parties. It's a orignal wood based cabinets, walls, etc. Grey chairs, Blue couch, etc. All in great shape as this 325 has less than 20K miles on it so it's been very little used.

The issue I have is I have no idea what this is worth. What is a pretty much perfect original interior of a 1988 325 MH worth?

Thanks for any input.

Robert"

So that post and thread was complete BS?????? He hadnt even bought the rig? Whoa, thats really weird. There have been long and well thought out responses to the questions he has posed here on the forums......hmmmmmm. Never seen that behavior before!

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I think Robert was considering to buy a second Classic Motorhome, which this thread may be in reference to. But I am not sure. One thing is for sure, If I would live in the same town where I live in, I would beg for my opinion on these classics
AIR #13
Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
....... One thing is for sure, If I would live in the same town where I live in, I would beg for my opinion on these classics
If I lived in the same town as you Peter, I would be camped outside just to watch you working!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Complete redo of mechanics, electric, plumbing, etc.

Peter if I lived in the same town I would be camped out next to Martin and bring you lunch everyday just to see the work and listen to sage wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Peter if I lived in the same town I would have dropped my Argosy off a LONG time ago so you could finish it for me
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
peter if i lived in the same town i would have dropped my argosy off a long time ago so you could finish it for me :d
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #15
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Peter if I lived in the same town I would have dropped my Argosy off a LONG time ago so you could finish it for me
Which one of you would have dropped it off...?
Talking about dropping stuff off, come and help me on this ceiling restoration I am currently doing. We constantly drop stuff off the side First time in over a 100 years this ceiling is redone. 24K Gold stars come next week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scaffoldbuild.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	264001  
AIR #13
Old 06-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I hate wasting my time....as you get older you realize you're dead a long time.....Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Which one of you would have dropped it off...?
Talking about dropping stuff off, come and help me on this ceiling restoration I am currently doing. We constantly drop stuff off the side First time in over a 100 years this ceiling is redone. 24K Gold stars come next week
Mine of course!

Sorry can't help with the ceiling restoration, I don't like heights....
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
To expand slightly on Peter's comments, one of the best ways for everyone to keep track of what's going on is to have a main thread where you discuss your project, or in your case projects. I would highly encourage you to start a thread on your 325 and a separate thread for your new purchase. Keeping your questions and discussions limited to fewer threads makes it easier on everyone to follow what's happening. I wold also suggest that you start your main threads in the appropriate areas. Your 325 thread should be in the Classics area and if you're buying an Argosy then start a thread in the Argosy section.

I've been on Airforums since 2003 and by far this is one of the few forums where most everyone gets along with everyone else probably because we have a common interest. Discussing politics, religion or any other hot button social topic isn't needed or necessary. I come to Airforums for one main reason, the discussion of Airstream motorhomes and trailers and to find answers to my questions (of which I have many!). Over the years I've gotten to know several of the members personally and have been enriched by the experience.

Maybe everyone needs to take a step back and start over. With that in mind....

Hi, my names Brad and I have a 1974 Argosy that I've been working on for more years than I care to admit. Someday I might even finish it

Brad
Old 06-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
unsubscribed

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
First person I have ever added to my ignore list.....