Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thumbs up CCD Overhead Cabinet Dimensions?

Well it's getting dangerously close to spring and I promised my wife I would work on the interior of the 345. We've been planning (more like dreaming about) converting the interior to a CCD style look.

I think I've worked out the framing and materials required to build CCD style overheads but I'm pretty sure the existing overheads in the 345 are a different overall size.

I went to the RV show this week with a tape measure and digital camera but the Airstream dealer didn't come this year. I'm sure it would have been a little akward taking measurements and detailed photgraphs anyhow.

I was wondering if a kind & generous CCD owner out there wouldn't mind getting some overall measurements for me. I'm not really trying to duplicate them exactly, just getting some idea of the relative proportions for these cabinets. I've attached a diagram which shows the basic measurements I'm after.

If someone can conveniently get this information I would really appreciate it. I suspect there are a few others out there contemplating a similar update for their MH or TT so I'll be sure to post pictures and details about my attempts at creating this look in our motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	10227  

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Framing Plan

For anyone interested here is my framing plan. It didn't scan very well but please feel free to provide advice, input, etc. I've looked into many different options and without knowing how CCD cabinets are actually made this approach seems like it will work. I also think I can reuse approx 60% of the framing from my existing overheads using this design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCDCabinet 001.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	10229  

Old 01-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
you've got it!

Steve, I think you are about dead on construction. I've imagined a upper cabinet to look pretty much the same. I imagine you will use luan first to bend over the "frame" and then laminate? Would you cut the (plexiglass) opening out first, or after bending it over the frame. I also can't remember if there is some "thickness" to the frame opening where the plexiglass slides. I did imagine having to frame it out with maybe 1/2" birch to give the insides some depth. My stumbling block was the mounting.... are you using the exisiting t-strip to mount it too, or would you use new aluminum angle and rivet on?

One thing I noticed was that the newer trailers have much more of a "square" shaped roof, which allows a slightly bigger (I think) cabinet.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Old Cabinet

3Ms75Argosy,
Thanks! I've had all winter to imagine these cabinets. I've attached some pics of the original cabinets. I've removed the end caps which shows the construction methods AS used. I'm planning to stay close to their original ideas and hope to reuse the 1"x2" front framing and the aluminum upper and lower mounting extrusions (these were riveted into the ribs and skin).

I do plan to face everything in 1/4" luan and then laminate. I currently plan to use a router template and route out the door opening before the luan is installed to give me access to the frame when clamping everything. I am also considering skipping the laminate altogether if the birch looks nice enough.

I'll dato the top and bottom frame to accept the lexan doors. The goal here is to reuse as much as possible from the old cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCDCabinet 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	10230   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCDCabinet 002.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	10231  

Name:	CCDCabinet 003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	10232   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCDCabinet 004.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	10233  

Name:	CCDCabinet 005.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	10234  
Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ok

Looking at your frames, it looks like the bottom face rail is doweled in, correct? So you'll drop this rail, put in your mdf curve "ribbing", and cut back the bottom wood wire chase? One idea that I had was to cut the face frame out of birch for a one piece look. Will it be strong enough without the center support. Although, I guess laminating the whole shabang would give it enough strength too. I think I noticed that AS uses a double track aluminum rail to slide the plex back and forth. If you dato in the grooves, are you going to put the plexi in as you assemble the frame, or make a rabbit and use some sort of backer to keep the plexi in?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to do this too! I too have been itching to redo the insides (I have the upholstery done), I've looked at too many CCD's now and am getting itchy to update!
Marc
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
one more thing!

Just as I was posting, I thought of an important difference between tthe MHs and trailers. My upper frame is just made out of aluminum rails and stiles, with fiberboard supported in the grooves. I don't have any wood in the face frame. Hmmm. I don't think it would be too hard to reproduce your idea from scratch though.
Marc
Old 01-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Marc,

I plan to remove the face frame and completely disassemble (it is doweled). I'll angle cut the bottom of the rail and dado the top and bottom rails for the sliding doors (still looking for inexpensive double rail aluminum tracks). Then I can re-assemble the frame. I'll build an all new bottom frame with the MDF "ribbing". The new face frame will sit on top of the ribs. I'll need to replace the luan which makes up the cabinetís false bottom as it will need to be slightly wider. The entire outside will be one piece of 1/4" birch (with the radius opening). Again if this looks good enough we may just finish the birch and skip the laminate so the framing is pretty critical in order to afford this option in this design. I think if you were going to laminate this using something like bending plywood in a form with a laminate would be a better, lighter way to go.

I am hoping I can just cut horizontal grooves on the backside of the birch where it needs to bend. Basically I'll need to cut through all but the top horizontal grain layer in order to make the bend around the ribs. Perhaps with some careful bending it will make the turn.

The wire chase will stay about the same size. I think the CCD cabinets carry this all the way to the back of the cabinet but on the MH I want to hang the window shades and possibly install some down lighting in the pocket between the wire chase the sidewall. We'll re-use the original aircraft style gimbaled lights and install new speakers.

The overall cabinet will be slightly larger than the original, which isnít a bad thing since the originals are pretty darn small. As I go Iíll post drawings and pictures. I would be great if each of us could continue to contribute successes and failures we encountered in trying to achieve the CCD look in an older unit.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Would using aluminum for the skin be easier than bending ply and then finishing it. Would also be very CCDish. I'll be using aluminum which has been veneered (wood / fabric /?), light, strong, minimal joints. I wonder what Mr CCD thinks about being imitated / copied. Flattered or ripped off?

What are you putting in those lighting holes? I'm obsessing about ligthing this week.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I had not though about using aluminum then laminating it. Good idea.
We're trying for something CCD-ish since we just like the feel of the CCD trailers so much. Ideally it will be some combination of ideas. We are also trying hoping to merge in some of the concepts found in a few german rv's from niesmann+bischoff.

I really like these overhead lockers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2-1-2005.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	10235   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1-1-2005.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	10236  

Old 01-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Wow...... Back to the design table for "The Bat Cave Express".... Those German's really know how to make wood shine..
Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Yes...pretty cool stuff. And they do all of this in non-slide out units, most of which are on commercial truck chassis. Here is a link to their site: http://www.niesmann-bischoff.com/index_gb.html

Part of our problem has been we like so many different designs we can't make up our mind. Everytime I find something like this it's been "back to the drawing board" for each time. I think we now have settled on a plan and a style - mostly because we've both actually been in CCD trailers and really liked the "feel". We also have a rule for the MH which is that you should be able to clean anything in there with a baby wipe. While we like these units with a high end look, our three young children and two dogs would trash it in no time. - thus the laminates and baby wipe rule
Old 01-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Triple WOW. These are great looking units. Note the foam between aluminum extrerior walls. First Class design and the whole thing just fits together. They are very pricey. Looks like Mercedes engines.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Post The locker contruction has begun!

Well it has begun. After a lot of talking and thinking it over we've decided to try and "CCD-ify" our 345. This means we won't be re-using our old overhead lockers but instead fabricating new ones. This change is not meant to be the exact CCD style but instead we hope to borrow elements from the CCD and the N+B euro-RV (birch panels)....I guess we're going for the CCD meets IKEA look.

Started working on the first locker today. Here are results so far. Tomorrow I hope to "skin" it with 1/4" birch ply. We will not be laminating over the birch. It will have a satin eurathane finish instead and it will have the cut out and frosted lexan sliding doors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4892.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	10494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4893.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	10495  

Name:	IMG_4894.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	10496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4895.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	10497  

Old 02-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Whoa! Looking good!! Will the 1/4" birch ply bend easily, or do you have to wet it to help it along? What are you going to use for a track - and what thickness plexi are you going to use? I did just read about using an orbit sander to make the frosted look work. Haven't tried it though.
Marc