Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
CB Radios

How many of you still have CB radios in your coaches and if you have one do you actually use it?

Just trying to decide whether to eliminate the CB antenna on the top of my front center running light.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I use mine in the tow vehicle. Keep a hand held unit with me too for help getting in to those tight spots using the wife as a spotter.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I use one in my truck when towing. Very hand to find out what's happening in those traffic jams or accident ahead situation. Mine is a magnetic antenna & plug in 12v type. When not traveling I put it away.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do professional truckers still use CBs?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Professional trucks still use CB's. I also have a CB in my truck. Only use it when towing. This way I know what is happening ahead of us.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Do professional truckers still use CBs?
Shepherd57(John) is a professional trucker that loves his cell phone for mapping purposes and all that, but won't give up his CB radio in his truck or coach. That being said, unfortunately the amount of people using CB's are dwindling with the advent of talk to talk, and cheap unlimited cell packages which have nationwide coverage. Most truckers I know would prefer to call a fellow trucker on a cell phone and not have to worry about being interupted by a CB troll.

Still, CB's are still the choice of motorcycle tours for communication between riders on tours and do have their usefulness if used properly and with respect.

If I were to decide on a multi way communication method I would prefer to join a Ham radio club.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Truckers still use them. It's a good way to tell what's ahead. Sometimes you even hear commentary on your trailer (or your driving lol).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I bought one because it was recommended as a part of the WBCCI Caravan equipment list for a caravan we were going on. Never used it. I still have it, but don't generally listen to it, the level of conversation there is pretty low.

We use our ham radios for backing, on a 70cm simplex frequency. Others use FRS. We have done that as we have FRS radios for use on car club drives, but we prefer the ham radios.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We use a pair of GMRS radios if we want communication to back the trailer into a spot - they work fine for that. Plus they only need a few AA cells t work and are small and comoact

A tip I learned though is to turn of the security sub-channel privacy feature - ie instead of having say channel 03-6, you just use channel 03. Works much better.

Otherwise there is a lag between pushing the transmit button and actually transmitting what you speak.

With this transmit lag, you are likely to miss the first few words of what the person
says if they start to speak as soon as they push the transmit button!

Not good if you want instant communication - as yo need when backing!

The other thing I always tell my wife is to always stay where you can see our truck mirrors even though you are using the radio, so that I can see her!

I want eye contact so I will know by her mad waving of hands if there is an imminent concern rather than relying totally on the radios!

I do also still carry a CB radio, though it is not one permanently mounted in the truck.

It is a hand held model that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It has it's own short rubber antenna and I can stick a larger magnetic antenna on the truck roof if I want more range, but I rarely do. I use it almost exclusively to just listen.

I only ever use it if we are stuck in a traffic jam to hopefully get some info about the problem, and hopefully get some advice from the truckers as to what lane I should be in and the possibility /advisablility of getting off the interstate.

At worst it gives sme entertainment whilst we are stuck!

At risk of being called a prude though (!), I otherwise have no interest in listening to the language used by many truckers!

Not to insult any Airstream owning truckers who may be on this forum!

I'm sure there are many truckers who do not feel the need to communicate this way - just seems that most of the ones we hear on the CB do!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have a CB radio and magnetic mount antenna stored under the rear seat. It comes out when we caravan with others as a group. It's very handy when planning fuel stops and potty breaks when traveling.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
When I traded my Dmax 2 years ago the CB went with it. After almost 40 years of owning one, it got to me too much nonsense, cursing etc.. I even found that it really was of limited use in traffic jams, with all the BS you had to listen too, it just wasn't worth it. Plus Google maps will generally show you where the backup is and (if you are using it for directions) will estimate that time it will add to your trip. I don't miss it at all.

As for backing, we use out cell phones. Much easier to use than two way radios in my book (which we have used in the past). Plus I can put mine in the mount and use it hands free with my wife out behind the trailer. That is as long as you have service in the campground - which we do most of the places we travel too.

In the end as with most things, whatever rings your bell.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My motorhome still has the original CB hand/control/mike radio in it. Was working okay when I bought the RV but last few times I turned it on all I got was static. Not sure if something is loose or its useful life ended. It has a large metal antenna on the roof installed at factory also. I carry a portable CB radio with magnet antenna if needed that belonged to my grandfather. It still works and is older than the one in my Landyacht.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
It's the best real time news about the conditions ahead. My wife hates it of course until we come to a stop on the interstate
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Even though I have an Extra Class ham license I still keep a CB in my truck (along with my ham radio gear). I don't us it often but it is nice to turn on and listen to what is causing traffic slow downs and it is also great when the weather is getting bad to monitor oncoming traffic comments on road conditions. As a ham operator I cringe at the language use by some on the CB so I don't keep it on all the time. Also, my CB has a NOAA weather radio channel which is very useful.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Thanks All for the replies it sounds like for the most part people have then and use them mainly for road condition updates. I haven't used a CB radio for about 20 years so I wasn't sure if cell phones had taken over.

I think I'll look around for an antenna that will fit in the mounting hole, if I can find something appropriate I'll go ahead and install it.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I still have mine, but get almost no chatter unless there's a traffic jam, or someone is drooling over the coach. I monitor CH19 and 22 mostly. What do yall monitor?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
I still have mine, but get almost no chatter unless there's a traffic jam, or someone is drooling over the coach. I monitor CH19 and 22 mostly. What do yall monitor?
15 is supposedly the RV channel but it always silent unless you catch some friends on a trip together. 22 is nothing. 19 is the trucks and the only one worth listing to if you want info.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
CB is a moneymaker tool for drivers. Am always surprised more don't use it. That said, don't have high expectations for Ch 19. A lot of it is truckers blowing off steam. Off in city. Most useful in the metro area edges. About an hour from city center (where speed limits drop). That's where an inordinate number of problems occur.

Best system pays dividends, and that is mainly about about antenna system. Spend the money and time there. Vehicle bonding a good subject to study.

Best reception means knowing 20-miles out about a problem. Farther on occasion. 5-10 miles most of the time.

As a driver, having another driver telling me there is a problem with my truck pays for the thing.

I've tried raising RVers on the CB on the outside chance they've got their ears on. A problem they may not aware of.

A couple of times I've had RVers follow me and I was able to relay what was out ahead due to a better system.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote