Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

car seats

Hi guys. Im looking at a 28 ft. The problem is I dont think that I can travel with my kids. They are both in car seats. Where can i put car seats in a airstream. I dont think I can put them sideways. Help!!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

San Angelo , Texas
The manuals for your carseats will tell you that they have to be installed on forward facing seats, so if you're looking at a motorhome, the only really safe place to have a carseat would be on the passenger seat.

Some dinettes will have seatbelts (typically lap only) installed, the thing to worry about here is what they are installed to - plywood, a metal frame, etc.

Most states are passing 8 yr and 80 lb carseat/booster laws, so you'll want to make sure you have a # of sufficient shoulder/lap belts, as booster seats (for the 4 yrs+ crowd) require shoulder belts. To be completely honest, lap belts are NOT safe for anybody... In the 1970's, Ford did a crash test, and the dummy was sliced completely in half by the lap belt. Don't know the speed, the point of impact, etc, but I'll never sit in a lap belt again!

For our family, we decided the best bet was get either a 5th wheel or travel trailer, and haul it with a truck or suburban-type... I'm pushing for the travel trailer (an airstream, of course!) but haven't convinced husband yet... We have almost 3 under 4 (ages 4, 2.5, and due next month, and, hopefully, another 1 or 2 more...)

Good luck,

Melissa

Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

dam

Thats what I thought.
anyone else? with better ideas?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Dick,
We have three kids, 10, 6 and 4. Our youngest sits in a booster seat in the dinette facing forward. The older two are belted in the couch or dinette.

One of the reasons we went with the larger 345 (started looking at 280s) was the additional seating positions available and a forward and rearward facing belted position in the dinette (not to mention the additional sleeping positions up front for the kids).
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The only forward facing seats in our motor home are the two front seats. They only have lap belts with no accommodation for a shoulder belt. We have our four year old grandson sit in his booster seat on a side facing seat. I installed straps that are mounted to the frame and up between the seat back. The booster has a face plate which fits over him and is held into place by this lap belt. I admit this might not be the safest seat but this is not a car or SUV. We would have to be hit fairly hard to jolt the coach. Further in a city bus which is very similar to my motor home the handicap seats are always the ones that are side way facing. These seats are equipped only with a lap belt. Last, school buses still do not use seat belts. Blue Bird a major manufacturer claims they are a hindrance to the safety of the children. This may cause some discussion but there does not seem to be many fatal accidents with school buses unless it is a major train VS bus type.
I realize I may only be trying to talk myself into my grandson being safe when he travels with us; however, I feel he is. There are quite a few young kids who do travel in motor homes and you just do not read serious injuries.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I don't think I would ask Tin Hut for his opinion.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
You know...I tend to get worried about this from time to time but we're pretty diligent about keeping kids seated and belted when in motion. Aside from the occasional bathroom run - that's where they stay. And everyone is always belted on secondary road and congested interstates.

Then, each morning I happily load all of my children on the school bus and off they go - no belts, nothing. Last month they took a forty minute drive down I-65 in one on a field trip.

Hmmmm.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
booster seats in B190

This is exactly the concern I'm facing. I really like the design & layout of the B190s, but it looks like they have only lap belts (as well as side-facing seats on the couch). As of 97, the passenger seat has an airbag, so that won't work for kids either. Very frustrating. Does anyone know of any way to add shoulder belts to the couch?

Tom
Old 04-21-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Tom,
The reality is that in a side facing seat (or couch) the shoulder belts won't really do anything in a crash. These are meant to work in a forward facing seat only.

FYI - you can purchase shoulder belt systems from aftermarket companies like JC Whitney, etc.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
Thanks, Steven. So is the consensus that small kids should not ride in these units at all? Or that side-facing seats with lap belts provide sufficient protection? Anyone have experiences to share?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

side facing

Our MH has the side facing couch behind the drivers seat, our car seat must be strapped in the middle rear (the couch lap belt works well). The car seat we use has the five point harness configuration similar to NASCAR uses, and we feel totally safe with our 5 year old now riding in it. We strap it in right behind the folding table, so that if we were involved in a frontal impact, the table would help keep the car seat from tipping forward. When I think of the accidents of people that I know first hand, the majority of them are never direct frontal impact... but most are side or off center, which throws the whole side facing argument out of logic.

Remember when driving a MH, towing, driving with kids, or driving anytime for that matter, you should be a "defensive" driver, never in a hurry, distracted by cell phone, (insert other here) or "driving like you stole it". I agree that it would take a pretty good crash to really effect those in the couch behind me.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
As Melissa points out, more and more states are requiring child safety seats for kids as old as 8. And booster seats don't play nice with lap-only belts. One solution is a big-kid safety seat with a 5-point harness (kind of a large verison of a toddler seat). Britax makes one for kids up to 65 lbs & another for kids up to 80 lbs. This may be the best solution, as it can be mounted with a lap belt, and the 5-point harness should protect the child even in a side-facing seat.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to retrofit two lap/shoulder belts in place of the factory lap belts in the dinette of our 250? I know there are a couple of alternative solutions out there for lap belts but would prefer the lap/shoulder if possible:

http://www.showeryourbaby.com/risatrvebkid.html
Berkeley Parents Network: Booster Seats for Lap Belt

Any thoughts on this one?

thanks

boom Sounds