Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2003, 09:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Canopy anyone?

I bought a 20' x 10' canopy/carport deal to put over most of my roof where the trees dump on it. I wondered form others using these---
what did you do to raise the legs? How do you keep yours tied down?
I am sitting on a concrete driveway, so I can't tap into it...well I guess I could drill thru if that is necessary, but I thought about sandbags, tie down straps, etc.
Now when i finish applying the Liquid Glass treatment and cover it i shouldn't have to wash the rig every week.

Thanks
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Alan,

I have one of those as well, although it's not up yet. My thinking is to raise it up by 4X4 treated 10 ft posts. Mine would go into the ground with concrete poured around post. (On your driveway you could set anchor bolts into the driveway and attach with a metal bottom 4X4 flange with bolt holes.)

Then at the top I am going to drill out holes for the steel post to sink in about 3-4" with a long bolt drilled thru the side and thru the steel post (90 % angle to post) to hold each together.

Then for the top I'd leave off the canvas. I've already bought round semi-circle 2 hole conduit anchors that will be screwed up into 1X3 or 1X4 stringers. Onto that I will attach 5V metal roofing material from Home Depot or Lowes.

This would be more work that stretching canvas over the top with the hold-downs, but.... it would be a permanent roof that doesn't need changing every 2-4 years.

Since we don't have snow loads to contend with in GA, I think it would hold up nicely. I already have a similar setup for my sailboat and one for the workshop.

Comments..... Suggestions..

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Bring a leg and how much you want to raise it to a muffler shop. They should be able to flare a pipe to fit over the leg and cut it any length you want.

Tie dows: Tide 2.5 gallon laundery detergent jugs filled with sand.

Can you tell I have thought about this?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

this link may give you some additional ideas

http://www.canopymasters.com
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Just a thought

Rather than sand bags or jugs as anchors, how about setting each leg in something more eye appealing such as a large flower pot, then filling with ready mix concrete?

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Good ideas all. I am going to set the thing up next to my MH and see what makes sense. I am not sure I want to make something too permanent as it will suck up a good chunk of the driveway space...but then again thr MH does that anyway.... Considering extending the driveway a few more feet with either gravel or concrete and then putting the two end posts more permanently into the gorund, using pipe extensions, and the sand bag or flower pot treatment on the concrete driveway that now exists.
Just makes me a little nervous having the metal arms sitting out there in a storm when I am at work...I will want to be sure the whole thing is reasonably anchored.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
What I did was ;
Went to Home Depot and bought the next size dia. poles that came with the canapoy and cut them into 5 ft sections.
Filled a 5 gal bucket 3/4 with concrete, taped one end of the cut poles with duct tape and pushed that end into the bucket. Did this eight times and let them set up over night
Positioned the buckets and slid the canapoy poles into the larger dia. poles in the bucket. Determined how high I wanted the canapoy and drilled holes through both poles and bolted.
You could then fill the buckets the remainder of the way with dirt and have planters'.
Have had high winds and never a problem. I now have one over a boat and another over a tractor.
Since this set-up is non pernmant it is easy to remove or move.

Now on the 3rd year and had planed to put metal instead of new canapoy on next year but new poly canapoy is $28. Metal panals are around $10 each. I'll stick to the poly canapoy.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Got my canopy up last night. Thanks for the ideas. I used the bucket with concrete idea, and the only challenge was raising the canopy onto the poles after we drilled the holes. With a 15yr old and my wife and one friend who got roped into helping , it all went well. I backed the rig under it, and have about a foot each side to spare.

I am thinking of adding a few additional tie downs just to be safe, but it seems quite sturdy.

Makes me feel better about the parking situation under the trees.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Tiedowns

Alan,

Why don't you just tie the canopy down to the MH with some adjustable tie staps? It's plenty heavy enough to hold it down, and handy, too. You could always put a hook or eye into a large board, and park the MH on top of it for an anchor point. If you get enough storm to blow the MH away, it won't matter if the canopy is still there.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we had a nice fall storm with 15-20 mph winds and higher gusts. The canopy with poles in the concrete filled pails, didn't budge. Just a little flapping in the rain. The next day the roof had NO pine straw or leaves or other assorted crapola on it. What a relief.

Now I need a new pail for washing the rig, mine are all filled with concrete.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
More research.......

King Canopy
Carport USA
Ace Canopy
Patio Screens
Shed City USA
AMCO Structures
Shelter King
Shelters of America
Cover-It Shelters
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks Fred for all the links. (How's Mississippi?)
I found my canopy at Value City. Went in looking for clothes. They had a canopy over the ladies sportswear. I asked if they had any in boxes, the manager told me he had 1. They were marked $99.00 but the end of summer sale was 75% off. Another lucky as a dog deal for me. It is 20' long and 10' wide, so I park it with a few feet sticking out, but it works out ok. 4' front 4' rear...

... I was thrilled to have found one by accident at a ridiculous deal. The pails and concrete were home depot items.