Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We live in Longmont just east of Lyons and it is quite bad. I called our storage place near Nelson Road and so far our AS is ok but they are near the evacuation area. He said that the water is covering Hover Road and 3' trees are washed across Hover. All of the roads into Longmont are closed except for emergency national guard vehicles who are evacuating The town of Lyons.

Our house is ok which is wonderful but I feel for all of the people in Lyons, Longmont, Boulder, and the mountain communities who have lost their homes or communities. This flood sounds unrivaled.

I suspect the town of Hygiene is also hit hard as it is right along the St. Vrain river.

Send us Colorodans your positive thoughts and prayers....

Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
My Son and daughter in law where rescued by the Colorado National Guard yesterday morning. By the time they received the evacuation notice the water was over two feet deep on the only road out. A friend of mine picked them up from the evacuation center in Mead CO and was able to transfer them south where my niece picked them up in Broomfield and brought them to my house.

I was unable to assist because my mother had taken a fall Sunday morning up at the family cabin and had to be airlifted out due to head injuries. I was elk hunting south of Pagosa Springs and had to make a hasty retreat home. Mom had to have facial reconstruction surgery Sunday evening. She was released Wed. to a rehab facility and yesterday morning she escaped her bed and fell on her head and is now back in the hospital with the reconstruction all ripped loose but now has blood between her skull and brain. I,m having a hard time coping with all this.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I,m having a hard time coping with all this.
If you weren't having a hard time with all this, there'd be something wrong with you. My experience is that when we are challenged by tough times, we find an inner strength that keeps us going, then when we get a chance, get some rest. I hope things get better for you and your family.

Raining again today in western Colorado and this new round of rain should get to the Front Range tomorrow. So far, not as heavy as the rain several days ago. Everyone we contacted is fine and unflooded, though some of their friends and relatives have been affected.

Gene
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
My Son and daughter in law where rescued by the Colorado National Guard yesterday morning. By the time they received the evacuation notice the water was over two feet deep on the only road out. A friend of mine picked them up from the evacuation center in Mead CO and was able to transfer them south where my niece picked them up in Broomfield and brought them to my house.

I was unable to assist because my mother had taken a fall Sunday morning up at the family cabin and had to be airlifted out due to head injuries. I was elk hunting south of Pagosa Springs and had to make a hasty retreat home. Mom had to have facial reconstruction surgery Sunday evening. She was released Wed. to a rehab facility and yesterday morning she escaped her bed and fell on her head and is now back in the hospital with the reconstruction all ripped loose but now has blood between her skull and brain. I,m having a hard time coping with all this.
How awful for you!

I hope you're not dealing with all of this by yourself. The hospital will have social workers and clerical available, if you need extra support. Don't hesitate to ask.

Take things a piece and a day at a time, and take care of yourself.

Maggie.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Flooding pictures

Here is a link to a series of aerial photos from our local Longmont newspaper.

http://photos.timescall.com/2013/09/...oulder-county/

Anyone who has attended a blue grass festival at Planet Blue Grass or camped at St Vrain State Park will find a few photos of interest. See if you can spot the Airstream trailer in photo number 9. I do not know who it belongs to.

Here are a whole bunch more. Towards the end of these, there are photos of highway 34 between Loveland and Estes Park including a couple RV parks.

http://photos.timescall.com/2013/09/...erial-views/#1

Ken
Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We drove up Big Thompson the day of the '76 flood waving to campers and those on the river after time at the family cabin in Nederland and after a few days with family in Boulder.

Hate to see it all. But I have no real sympathy for those who built or bought in areas they shouldn't have. Whether on the ocean front or in a floodplain the days of being so foolish are decades past.

Campgrounds can be rebuilt. Not peoples lives. Boulder might be exceptional to a general rule that while one may have planned well, and is well insured, never expect that ones neighborhood is so well off . . and Nature will be back. Digging into Gulf Coast hurricane history shows 18-mos until homes are re-occupied . . but some neighborhoods will have empty or problem houses from then on.

I don't care much for post-1980 Boulder, but I'd imagine "desirability" and some political grandstanding will make for interesting reading and observations.

What happens upstream will be more interesting (land use).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I don't care much for post-1980 Boulder, but I'd imagine "desirability" and some political grandstanding will make for interesting reading and observations.
I left the Boulder/Longmont/Loveland area in 1981. I barely recognize Boulder or Longmont any more. I was lucky to move into the area in 1965 when I could still picnic safely and catch trout in Boulder Canyon.

After seeing the floods in Boulder in the late 1960s, I knew something like this would happen some day.

It appears that Loveland fared worse this time than in the Big Thompson flood and the road destruction in the Big Thompson Canyon actually looks worse this time. Much of what is washed out are the raised sections of highway that were supposed to prevent damage. After the 1976 flood, I was able to drive quite a way into the canyon..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
But I have no real sympathy for those who built or bought in areas they shouldn't have. Whether on the ocean front or in a floodplain the days of being so foolish are decades past.
Geez! A little harsh wouldn't you say!

With about 4,500 SQUARE MILES & 17,994 HOMES in Colorado affected by this 75-100 year flood - I'd say your comment is rather harsh. Many of the folks most affected are hard working people living in the lowland neighborhoods east of the canyons & rivers.

2013 Colorado Flood - By the Numbers

Shame on you ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Geez! A little harsh wouldn't you say!

With about 4,500 SQUARE MILES & 17,994 HOMES in Colorado affected by this 75-100 year flood - I'd say your comment is rather harsh. Many of the folks most affected are hard working people living in the lowland neighborhoods east of the canyons & rivers.

2013 Colorado Flood - By the Numbers

Shame on you ~

Shari
Here is an interesting anecdote.

There are three nice housing areas just down the hill from us. All three are outside both the 100 year and 500 year flood zone. They and the golf course above them were all heavily flooded. It seems that, about five miles west, a significant portion of the St Vrain river flow left the river course and took a short cut through some irrigation holding ponds and then left via one of the irrigation canals. this canal went west along a route that is up hill from the golf course and these housing areas. The whole distance it was dumping large amounts of water down over farm fields, and then the golf course, and these housing areas. It then hit rail road tracks that backed it up some to make it worse. After it topped and washed out the tracks, it continued a little further and joined the main flow again. Since the ground is not level and is completely saturated, there are still small lakes remaining along its path. So, all who suffered did not built in a dangerous appearing area.

Ken
Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes!

Such dreadful, unimaginable devasttion.

Maggie
Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
But I have no real sympathy for those who built or bought in areas they shouldn't have. Whether on the ocean front or in a floodplain the days of being so foolish are decades past.
Remember that when the next big hurricane strikes Corpus Christi.

Disasters happen everywhere.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
We drove up Big Thompson the day of the '76 flood waving to campers and those on the river after time at the family cabin in Nederland and after a few days with family in Boulder.

Hate to see it all. But I have no real sympathy for those who built or bought in areas they shouldn't have. Whether on the ocean front or in a floodplain the days of being so foolish are decades past.

Campgrounds can be rebuilt. Not peoples lives. Boulder might be exceptional to a general rule that while one may have planned well, and is well insured, never expect that ones neighborhood is so well off . . and Nature will be back. Digging into Gulf Coast hurricane history shows 18-mos until homes are re-occupied . . but some neighborhoods will have empty or problem houses from then on.

What happens upstream will be more interesting (land use).
I don't have a problem with people building in risky areas to take advantage of the natural beauty as long as they assume the risk and don't expect others to cover the cost of rebuilding for them when the inevitable happens.

Much of the devastation in Colorado happened in areas that you wouldn't believe could flood. Even if you are out of the flood plane on top of a hill, 17 inches in 4 days can wash you out and slide your home down the hill. This was a very unusual event.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I lived in Greeley in 1965, and there was a similar flood back then. The South Platte flooded Denver and washed out all the businesses along the river, then joined the Big Thompson and Poudre Rivers in flood stage just outside of Greeley, just like this time. I think a dam broke on the Poudre then, too.

My sister now lives in north Denver, and she says that this flood is worse than the one in 1965. I think you can't really do much about flooding in Colorado, other than not build a cabin in Big Thompson Canyon. Otherwise, I think that flooding is just one of life's hazards living so close to the Rockies. The Continental Divide runs down the middle of the Colorado Rockies, and all that water in the mountains has to go somewhere. You just hope this doesn't happen too often.

Some of the problem comes from new construction trying to dam up and divert the water flow. I think the land remembers where the water is supposed to go (gravity); and eventually, it's going to jump anything you put in front of it, and return to the original channel. Trying to divert the natural flow only makes things worse, as the water is higher when it finally overflows the new channel.

In any case, Colorado is a beautiful state; and everything will build back up when things dry out. So sorry about the lives and property lost, though; as with all natural disasters. Hope no AirForums members were affected.

Our prayers and best wishes to those who live in the affected areas...