Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Bore scope recommendations

I wasn't sure where to post this but had to post somewhere

I would like to buy a bore scope that will work for a variety of uses. Initial thoughts are, engine cylinder bores, peaking inside the walls of our Airstreams, in general looking into places that I can't readily get to.

I'm not looking for the best one out there but by the same token I'd still like to get something better than a Harbor Freight special.

Thanks!

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
1973 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 123
While pretty costly check out the Rigid Seesnake. These are a little over 2 grand. We have one at work to inspect monitoring wells - I work for the government. Anyway a lot of pluming contractors have these for pipe inspections. Using the Colin Hyde approach of cash and cold beer you may find a local plumber that's willing to peak around inside your walls on a Friday afternoon.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SeeSnake/EN/index.htm
__________________

__________________
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,387
Images: 1
I'd check out the offerings at Amazon.
There are a number of sub $200 tools that are incredibly nice to use.
I have no idea what the Harbor Freight price point is but I think you can get a nice tool that will last and work for years at this level. I like the Bosch PS 90 1A.....
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGJackson View Post
While pretty costly check out the Rigid Seesnake. These are a little over 2 grand. We have one at work to inspect monitoring wells - I work for the government. Anyway a lot of pluming contractors have these for pipe inspections. Using the Colin Hyde approach of cash and cold beer you may find a local plumber that's willing to peak around inside your walls on a Friday afternoon.

SeeSnakeŽ Video Inspection - RIDGID Professional Tools
I love it! But...it's definitely out of the ballpark for what I'm thinking about or can afford.

This caught my eye but I haven't got a clue if it is even worth the $27 they are asking. El Cheapo bore scope
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I'd check out the offerings at Amazon.
There are a number of sub $200 tools that are incredibly nice to use.
I have no idea what the Harbor Freight price point is but I think you can get a nice tool that will last and work for years at this level. I like the Bosch PS 90 1A.....
Bruce
Bruce,

Other than accessories (and price) I'm not sure what the difference is between the PS90-1A and the PS90-B. One problem from my perspective is the head is 17mm and spark plug holes are usually about 14mm which means I wouldn't be able to use it to inspect engine cylinder bores.

Bosch PS90-B Bore Scope

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,387
Images: 1
OK,
I owned one of these vs6m for a few years and it performed just fine. I recently sold it to purchase a new Snap On model that has the ability to save still shots and videos to a computer so I can then send the bad news to a customer. Too expensive for casual use but I believe the VO Scope is available for less than $250.00.....
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
darlingbooks's Avatar
 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 144
Images: 51
Blog Entries: 43
I bought this tool a couple of weeks ago for my project from Costco and it was around $170.00. The picture that it took was done in a hurry, and the light was not turned on full.

Steve
Small Project in the Trailer
__________________
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
OK,
I owned one of these vs6m for a few years and it performed just fine. I recently sold it to purchase a new Snap On model that has the ability to save still shots and videos to a computer so I can then send the bad news to a customer. Too expensive for casual use but I believe the VO Scope is available for less than $250.00.....
Bruce
Bruce,

Nice that the VO Scope has a head which is only 6mm. I'll keep it in mind when I make a final decision. I think a scope is going to be a Christmas present to myself

Thanks!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post
I bought this tool a couple of weeks ago for my project from Costco and it was around $170.00. The picture that it took was done in a hurry, and the light was not turned on full.

Steve
Small Project in the Trailer
Steve,

It just for situations like this that I'd like to have a bore scope. Your price wasn't bad and I like the 3' extension that comes with it.

Do you know what the diameter of the viewing head is?

Thanks!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
darlingbooks's Avatar
 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 144
Images: 51
Blog Entries: 43
Brad,

I have the camera buried in the back of the van, but I think that this is the one that Costco has for sale in Carson City. When I was struggling with fishing the wire under the floor, I had the camera on one side and I had the monitor across the hall, while I watched to see if I had the right channel.

http://www.whistlergroup.com/inspection-cameras-wic-catalog/wic-3509p-product.aspx?id=310

The camera and tube are 9mm.

WHISTLER IC-3409PX
</SPAN>

Features

3 Foot Flexible Camera Tube
30 Foot Wireless Transmission Range
Adjustable LED Brightness
Detachable 3.5 Inch Full Color LCD Monitor
Full Video Recording Capabilities
SD Card Slot for saving recordings
TV/ Video Output jack
Waterproof 9mm Camera with LED lighting

Unit Specifications
Size: 7.320 x 1.600 x 5.700
Weight: 9.600
Power 1: Monitor: Lithium
Power 2: Handset: 4 AA (not included)

Included Accessories:
ˇ 3.5in LCD Monitor
ˇ Detachable 9mm Camera
ˇ Extension Camera Cable
ˇ Hook Clip
ˇ Magnetic Clip
ˇ Magnetic Swivel Mount
ˇ Mirror Clip

__________________
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post
Brad,

I have the camera buried in the back of the van, but I think that this is the one that Costco has for sale in Carson City. When I was struggling with fishing the wire under the floor, I had the camera on one side and I had the monitor across the hall, while I watched to see if I had the right channel.

http://www.whistlergroup.com/inspection-cameras-wic-catalog/wic-3509p-product.aspx?id=310

The camera and tube are 9mm.

WHISTLER IC-3409PX
</SPAN>

Features

3 Foot Flexible Camera Tube
30 Foot Wireless Transmission Range
Adjustable LED Brightness
Detachable 3.5 Inch Full Color LCD Monitor
Full Video Recording Capabilities
SD Card Slot for saving recordings
TV/ Video Output jack
Waterproof 9mm Camera with LED lighting

Unit Specifications
Size: 7.320 x 1.600 x 5.700
Weight: 9.600
Power 1: Monitor: Lithium
Power 2: Handset: 4 AA (not included)

Included Accessories:
ˇ 3.5in LCD Monitor
ˇ Detachable 9mm Camera
ˇ Extension Camera Cable
ˇ Hook Clip
ˇ Magnetic Clip
ˇ Magnetic Swivel Mount
ˇ Mirror Clip

I just picked this unit up from Costco for $149.95. Seems to be a pretty neat toy with the video and still picture and you can hook it all up to your TV or computer. This is the same Whistler that makes radar detectors, been around a long time. By the way the one available now is IC-3709Px which has a 1.5X, 2X and 3X zoom.

Cheers, Dan
__________________
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Steve & Dan,

I don't have a Costo local to me. I did find these on ebay. The cheaper one doesn't have the 3' extension but you can buy it for $34. The more expensive one has the extension "free" with the kit. Both have free shipping.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=321014563146

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=160909849123
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
wayneskid's Avatar

 
2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 515
Images: 1
FWIW, these look good on paper but I don't like to buy no name products. If you need a repair or a part, there is no place to go.
__________________
- wayne
2010 Interstate 3500 Twin Bed
(2008 Freightliner CRD Sprinter)
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
FWIW, these look good on paper but I don't like to buy no name products. If you need a repair or a part, there is no place to go.
I don't disagree with your approach in general.

For myself, what I have decided over the years is there are some tools to really splurge on which I do and there are other tools that can be bought that I don't worry about repairing or buying spare parts for. The bore scopes in the price range I'm looking at more or less fall into the latter category. If I bought an expensive one and it broke (or was stolen) the part would be expensive to replace (that's been my experience anyway) whereas the cheaper tools are throw aways that you just replace.

It sure would be nice if all tools were made with the same quality then you could buy on price. But that's not going to happen in my life time

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.