Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
El Paso , Texas
Black and White rear view cameras on Cutter MH

We own a 1996 Cutter with a factory installed rear-view camera. Its a black and white camera and Sony monitor installed on the left side of the dash.

The picture we're getting is almost useless during daylight hours, and at night, we can only see headlights...other than that, the picture is totally useless.

We used to own another motor home with a color monitor and camera that worked beautifully and was a tremendous asset. Has anyone who owns this vintage Airstream Motorhome swapped their monitor and camera for a newer better quality color system? If so, how did you do it? Where you able to use the same mounts and cabling already installed?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
David
dgmelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The camera that is on my Clipper is probably the same as what you have. I have no problem with mine and it gives an excellent image day or night.
There is a two position rocker switch on the drivers side panel that gives a close shot or a longer view. Is your two position switch not working?
It may be sticking from lack of use.
On the rear Cap --- Take off the f/g cover,(carefully drill out the rivets if it has never been removed) and remove the two position switch. Test it on your battery and if seized, rap it a few times to loosen it up. (if that fails, soak it in baking soda and air dry) and work it while applying 12V power.
Test and reinstall, and secure f/g cover using stainless screws.
I am sure the two position switch is available new but I have never looked for a source.
The monitor is rebuild-able if that is the problem?
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmelp View Post
We own a 1996 Cutter with a factory installed rear-view camera. Its a black and white camera and Sony monitor installed on the left side of the dash.

The picture we're getting is almost useless during daylight hours, and at night, we can only see headlights...other than that, the picture is totally useless.

We used to own another motor home with a color monitor and camera that worked beautifully and was a tremendous asset. Has anyone who owns this vintage Airstream Motorhome swapped their monitor and camera for a newer better quality color system? If so, how did you do it? Where you able to use the same mounts and cabling already installed?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
David
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1386.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	149109

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1384.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	149110

I replaced my Sony black and white monitor, after being told it wasn't worth repairing. I went with a black and white Voyager from camping world, because it would fit into the hole with just a little trimming. I also needed to replace the cable as the end that plugged into the back of the monitor was damaged, and the cost to replace the cable and monitor with a Sony product was too pricey. So I needed a new cable either way. The new cable runs easily under the coach. Also if I remember correctly, Sony didn't make a color monitor in the same size as this black and white monitor,and the one they did make was too big for the space I had available on the dash, also the cables weren't interchangeable either. On my LY the mirror over the bed between the upper cabinet removes to gain access to the rear camera and you are able to use the old cable to fish down and pull up new cable from the trunk storage, tail light area. At the time, Voyager also made a bigger color flat 7" monitor screen, that I think might have worked to cover the hole left by the Sony. The replacement Voyager has worked very well so far, but it is a smaller screen. Not the greatest photos, and you may have more room to work with - but this gives you some idea of the space I had to work with.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
There is some info on some models here and some contact numbers that may now be out of date.
SAGA OF THE SONY BACKUP CAMERA
http://www.batterycanada.com/cctv.htm
and this is the direct replacement for the Sony monitor.
http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=15
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote