Old 03-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Some of us find major enjoyment in significant customizing of our trailers, some mods will be invisible, others not. I just bought a brand new 30' Classic and have significantly altered the electrical system to provide 600W of solar power and 3000 W via a hybrid inverter and 4 AGM batteries. The cost of all this install is close to $5,000. I do not expect to get any of this back, and know my new trailer -- just like a new car, depreciated significantly when I rolled it off the lot. One of the largest Airstream dealers in the nation told me they weren't interested in a trade in on my 2012 28' Intl CCD because I had customized the interior and done significant upgrades to other systems in the trailer. People buy Airstreams for many reasons, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree is you believe you can "buy low, sell high" on an Airstream. Of course, there's always the possibility that a recent lottery winner or Publisher's Clearing House jackpot awardee will come along. I also follow classic and exotic cars. Very different market.

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
I agree with Belegedhel, with the exception that I believe vintage Airstreams that still have their original look and feel, and that are in good condition, may increase in value. After all, they are becoming more and more rare.

Most people purchase old Airstreams and remodel them. Very few try to restore them to look like they did when they rolled off the factory floor. Airstreams are more than their distinctive outside shell; their interiors were unique, too. Considering the Airstream charisma, and the cozy charm of vintage Airstream interiors, I believe restored Airstreams will hold their value, and perhaps even appreciate, over time.

Of course, the water and heating systems are hidden, so they can be upgraded to todayís efficiency without affecting the original look and feel.

I think the most important thing is to make sure the unit youíre considering is still sound and that everything works. (If something doesnít, find out how much it will cost to repair or replace.) And, of course, make sure it's a size and layout that fits your needs.

That way, you can use it from the get-go. And, who knows, years from now you may decide to remodel or restore. Thatís what happened to us.

Good luck, Gary and Evelyn. It's a great adventure, and I hope the two of you will enjoy your "new" Airstream as much as we've enjoyed ours!

tintent74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Mine has appreciated in value, but that only counts when I want to sell it, and since we are pretty happy with it, that hasn't come up yet.

I think just about any Airstream you buy will be a good investment and you will get your money back out of it when it's time to sell, especially if you keep it in excellent condition with everything working. It's a much better investment than most other RVs.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #18
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It could be worse.....I could have spent the thousands and all my extra time on weeknights and weekends on a human mistress, but I didn't; I spent it all on my Airstream "Mistress". The good thing is, she doesn't run away when the money dries up and I neglect her during the cold winter months.

A great investment is something that sticks around through thick and thin, especially if they have a pension.....and you don't.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #19

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Airstreams as an investment

In my experience you cannot expect the Airstream itself to be a moneymaker....I made a little selling our 63 Safari but that was 10yrs won't happen with our Classic.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote