Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
BBQ grills

We are still in the process of equipping our 310 with all the necessities. One essential for us is to carry a good charcoal grill. Im interested in knowing what make and model you experienced folks carry on your rig. Obviously storage while in transit is a challenge, seems that way anyhow. So please share your wisdom, what grill do you carry and where do you stow it while in transit? Happy trails!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Are you looking for a tabletop model that you can set up on a campground picnic table? Or a freestanding model you can use at campsites with fewer amenities?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well im not quite sure. I bbq 3 to 4 times a week at home and use a charcoal "barrel" type grill. I would like to bbq while traveling in the 310 but havent found the " right" grill yet to do the job cooking and is easy to transport. Either one would be fine i guess and there is just two of us so i wont be bbqing mass quantities. I guess storage while traveling is one of my biggest concerns, i would rather not carry it inside the rig. But, it would have to break down pretty good to get it inside one of the outside storage bins. A proper lid and good air control are my concerns for the grill.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Look into a Volcano II grill. It pops us and then breaks down. Can use charcoal, propane or wood. Nifty little grill.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a Cobb "kitchen-in-a-bag" grill that's small enough to schlep around in my storage-challenged Interstate even with all of the accessories, but they've gone out of business in North America. Amazon still has a few available, but no telling when they'll run out. When they're gone, there ain't no more. Amazon.com - Cobb Premier Grill W/ Bag
Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thankyou very much, ill check it out right now.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Just got my Volcano Grill also have a Cobb. Like how the Volcano breaks down and you can put the Charcoal at 2 different cooking levels higher vs lower heat. Will use my Cobb for grilled Veggies.
LilNomad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140119_165645.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	204238  
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Basically two types of grills, gas or charcoal. Gas is great if you are in a bit of a hurry. For folks with patience and care about taste charcoal is the way to go. I actually carry both for the above reasons. I have and use a Cobb Grill at home and camping. It is basically a convection/slow cooker. It makes the juiciest, most flavorable chicken and ribs that I have come across in a small portable cooker. The advantage of the Volcano Grill it seems is the ability to use both gas and charcoal and it's larger grilling surface. That is a big plus in its favor.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote