Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Backing monitor on 350

Well, the backing monitor quit today. Has anyone else done any troubleshooting which would save me some headscratching? Where did Airstream hide the fuses??
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Well, the backing monitor quit today. Has anyone else done any troubleshooting which would save me some headscratching? Where did Airstream hide the fuses??
I'm not certain it was because it quit completely, but I do know that Nick Danger has had some experience with the company that made his 1989 370 system. I remember him writing me that he had sent the camera back and was very pleased with the work they did. Might want to contact him by PM.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
has anyone used the computer wireless cameras in their motorhomes? Seems like I saw something on this and the cost was very reasonable, made me think about puting one on the back of the trailer.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Wireless TV Camera

Funny you should mention that. I just bought one in Home Depot tonight. I'll hook it up in the next couple of days and see how it is and report back. It was $100 for the camera and receiver. Only drawback is the 120V transformers needed....although they actually work on 8VDC. I'll have to figure out what resistors to use to get 12VDC down to 8VDC.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Lew,
You can try a 5 volt solid state regulator 7805 or an adjustable one LM317T.
See if it will run on 5 VDC.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Just my 2 Cents worth. What if you used an inverter and pluged in a 110ac to 8 volt dc adapter from radio shack? If thats not available the 9 volt one should be within the acceptable power range. Let us know how it works.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
About a year ago we purchased the tri-view system for our S.O.B. MHO. The main camera went out at least twice on us. It was under warrantee but it did involve a couple of trips to get it repaired. The end result was that the main cable was getting too much heat from the engine. After it was moved away from the engine area and re-routed it has been fine. There wasn't anything wrong with the camera it's self. That might be something to check.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Just my 2 Cents worth. What if you used an inverter and pluged in a 110ac to 8 volt dc adapter from radio shack? If thats not available the 9 volt one should be within the acceptable power range. Let us know how it works.
TH,

I have an inverter that I use to keep my cordless tools , cell phones and laptop going. The system has 2-120VAC plug-in transformers to supply the 8VDC required. I would like to use my house battery in the van to power the camera and receiver, so a 8-9VDC source is preferable. I could use the inverter, but I'm out of power ports with all of the various chargers that I have. Just looking to go in a different direction. I need the laptop powered from the inverter to use as a monitor for the camera and GPS (DeLorme system) as well.

Plus, the camera comes with a 9 volt cord and battery for truly portable use, so I might go 9VDC (I can get that out of my house battery with a small DC to DC transformer).

In any event, I'll keep you posted on the results in a day or so
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
About a year ago we purchased the tri-view system for our S.O.B. MHO. The main camera went out at least twice on us. It was under warrantee but it did involve a couple of trips to get it repaired. The end result was that the main cable was getting too much heat from the engine. After it was moved away from the engine area and re-routed it has been fine. There wasn't anything wrong with the camera it's self. That might be something to check.
I would also like to add that it did require a new cable.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
CAUTION!!! Be very carful when under powering your backup system. CCD cameras are very sensitive to under power. I've had a number of cameras trashed due to wildlife biologists not paying attention to the power requirments of the elevated camera systems I build. Manufacturer has a hands off policy on units not sold with their power adaptors. However as I don't use AC (their idea for 12v is a 120AC wall wart) for my camera systems I don't ever get to use their warranty anyway.
Keep your power input to +or- 10% of the rated input listed by the manufacturer.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Well, the camera works again. After about an hour of checking every thing else, I found that the power feed in the chevy fuse box (the one that is a plastic plug with a different color wire from anything shown in the manual which comes with the camera system) was occasionally loose, and a bit of solder solved the problem.
Thanks to all for your suggestions!!

R
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Thumbs up

Congratulations

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote