Old 06-02-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, California
Back from Texas! With a big smile!

Hello everybody!

First, thank you all for helping me with your recomendations before purchasing an Airstream MH. It was very helpful!

So, Ibought it! A beautiful AS345. And exactly as described! 8700 original miles, and you can tell it is correct: when you look everywhere for something worn like chassi paint, bug dents on the radiator, worn out pedals: It all checks out clean!

That rig was hardly ever used! All the aplliances were still wraped with the manufacturer packing foam and plastic wrap. It is loaded with all the options available at the time. The generator shows 162 hours of use!

Everything works, so far, just as it should. Sorry for the "bragging" but I love my new motorhome.

We went from Texas to Northern New Mexico, then to Grand Canyon and finally, Central California.

The two only problems we had were the generator that would blow its fuse, the one behind the "start" Button. I think it probably need to be tuned up: It appears to be running rich.

The other issue is a small brake fluid leak at the master cylinder. We had to refill at Grand Canyon. So I need to have this done this week.

Other than that, a good polish and some painting for the outside (the unit is a little backed by the sun, but hte aluminum shell is almost perfect), and a good steam clean and wood oiling in the inside should bring her to brand new condition! The interior has no fading and the leather seat in front are like new! So is the dash. But new curtons are in order, they litterally desintegrated when I touched them. Any lead for that? I would like to redo them all original.

Well, sorry for the super long post, but I am a very happy Airstream motorhom owner!

Francois

PS: Pictures will come soon...

Old 06-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good for you! Congrats! Sounds like you had quite a long adventure to get used to it for your first trip

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redynvre
The two only problems we had were the generator that would blow its fuse, the one behind the "start" Button. I think it probably need to be tuned up: It appears to be running rich.

The other issue is a small brake fluid leak at the master cylinder. We had to refill at Grand Canyon. So I need to have this done this week.
Francois
Congratulations on your new aluminum child!
A few leaks of fluids are common in a coach that has been unused as much as this one. Expect a few more drips and drizzles as you use it, until you get all the little things repaired or replaced. You may need a new water pump, belts, brake hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, calipers, and maybe a hose or two. This is normal from sitting, and would happen to a Rolls Royce, if it sat too long. I would strongly advise changing the fuel filters, too. They are relatively inexpensive, and will prevent a problem down the road, on the road.
Terry
Old 06-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
You can order OEM curtains from an Airstream dealer.

Or there are two companies that make curtains for Airstreams. One is James Ambruso and the other is Fowler interiors. If you google either of those you will find links or phone numbers.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. You'll pick up alot of great info here.
Glad you had a good trip, look foreward to hearing more from your trips and how it goes with the new toy.

Don
Old 06-03-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Francois,

Sweet find! Isn't it the best when get such a nice find? Congrats!

Now why don't you bring it on up and show it off at the Laguna Seca Rally? We would love to see it.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

, California
That's sound like fun!