Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Question Auto Park

My 95 MH has that auto park mess. I know how the system works. My question does any one have any problem with it not unlocking only after the MH sits for a few weeks when you put the MH in gear. Like today I when to run the MH after a long winters cold spell.( I think we didn't hit over 28 deg. for 2 weeks) but today was a heat wave 30 deg. The MH started right up even the generator started as well.After it was all warmed up the auto park did not come off . Park,drive,reverse a few times 15 mins later it work with no problem then. Any ideas? Thanks Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
?

What is Auto Park?
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Auto park is a automactic e-brake. It gets it pressure off the hydroboost system. How it works if you where driveing down the road and the power steering line blew the brake on the driveshaft would lock up. Sounds like fun. Just think of your 16000 pound MH driveshaft brake locking up at 70 mph.I don't have that problem. My problem is it get stuck like a sticky trailer brake when I put the camper in gear..... I guess I answerd my own question,I have to do an e-brake brake job.

Here is a quick recall notice about the auto park system

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 94V183000 Recall Date : SEP 27, 1994 Component: PARKING BRAKE Potential Number Of Units Affected : 3762 Summary:
THE AUTO APPLY PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM FAILS TO RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES AFTER ACTION HAS BEEN TAKEN TO RELEASE THEM OR THE SYSTEM MAY AUTOMATICALLY APPLY THE PARKING BRAKE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION. IN EITHER CASE, IF THE DRIVER DOES NOT NOTICE THE TELLTALE RED BRAKE LIGHT AND STOP THE VEHICLE, THE SYSTEM WILL FAIL. Consequence:
IF THE OPERATOR PARKS THE VEHICLE, APPLIES THE PARKING BRAKE WITH THE FAILED AUTO APPLY PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM, THE PARKING BRAKES WILL NOT SET AND THE VEHICLE CAN ROLL INADVERTENTLY. Remedy:
DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE COMPONENTS OF THE AUTO APPLY PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM, BLEED THE HYDRAULIC POWER SYSTEM, AND ADJUST THE PARKING BRAKE. Notes:
SYSTEM: PARKING BRAKE.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORHOME CHASSIS. NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME OR THE REMEDY DOES NOT CORRECT THE DEFECT, PLEASE CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020 OR GMC AT 1-313-456-4547. ALSO, CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAYT RAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Recall models

You have info on what units are included in recall?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

It's for older units (1990) but the newer ones work the same way. Its a tempermentel system.As good as it is, it stinks as well. The recall was not for a "free repair" .
Old 01-22-2004, 05:28 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Quote:
SYSTEM: PARKING BRAKE.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORHOME CHASSIS. NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME OR THE REMEDY DOES NOT CORRECT THE DEFECT, PLEASE CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020 OR GMC AT 1-313-456-4547. ALSO, CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAYT RAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.
Hmm, do I not read that this is supposed to be free and if charged for repair contact chevrolet?

And my unit is obviously a 1990 model. I think I will take this question to the Guru, Phred Sez. Thanks for the help though,
Smily