Old 03-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Benicia , California
AS MotorHome fuel nozzle problem

The State of CA (in its infinite wisdom) has decided that all the fuel pump nozzles have to be upgraded to some wonderful standard but the compartment which the nozzle goes into on our AS will not accept the new nozzle (different shape and length). We actually got it stuck trying to force a new nozzle in and almost did not get it out (the gas station attendant wanted to tear apart the compartment). Anyway, I called Airstream and they had not heard of this problem. I cannot believe that we are the only ones with this problem - anyone heard of it or have a solution?

Vicki G.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow, you got my attention on this one. I can see it now, we're all going to have to carry adapters around to allow us to fill our gas tanks.

Anyone else have any info on this change?

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
vapor recovery system

If you pull the rubber accordian hose back before you put the nozzle in tank it will work fine. You have to babysit the nozzle while fueling.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I've never seen a diesel nozzle with a rubber boot, and I've never heard of anyone having this problem. We do spend a fair amount of time at the fuel pump, and it seems like we would have heard the cussing if it was a common problem.

You may have grabbed a high flow nozzle which is a larger diameter that the one designed for "passenger" vehicles. The high flow nozzles are for trucks, busses, fire engines, etc.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Just filled my 77 no issue here on the right coast.
Interesting though...

Keep us posted on what you find out???
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Benicia , California
I just spoke with the dealer where we bought the rig - never heard of this and had no solution. Hubby says he tried pulling back the rubber on the nozzle - did not work. This is not just a one station incident - the station where we normally get fuel was our first experience with the problem and they had just changed - the attendant said that alot of the older vehicles were having problems (our AS is a 2003). The stuck nozzle was the second time we had the problem. Now we call ahead to ask if the station has changed the nozzles out (which can be a pain if you are on the road), but this also leads me to believe that all of them will change at some point.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Vicki,
I appologize for the info in my earlier post, I re-read it and see that you were probably talking about a gasoline pump, I had it in my head that this was a diesel pump.
I used to have a Chevy Nova that was very difficult to fuel.
I was/am unaware of any change in nozzle stds and would be interested in what you learn.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Benicia , California
Solution???

Well here we are several months later and the problem has been solved. Not a perfect solution, but we can legally fill the gas tank. Our Airstream Motorhome has a small exterior door with the opening to the fuel tank inside the door. The opening for the fuel tank is recessed and slightly lower than the door opening. It was encased in plastic around the opening of the tank. After asking every place we could think of for a solution and coming up blank we had the repair person cut out the plastic that was around the opening, now the fuel nozzle goes all the way into the opening without getting stuck. This is really hard to explain for a non technical person, but perhaps you get the idea. There is no really good solution that we could find, but this will work. I assume this is a California problem.

Vicki
Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Havn't had that problem filling the MH here in NV. but you just reminded me of a incident I had last week getting gas. Normally use Chevron but because local Texaco is cheaper, and they have good soapy windshield water, I decided to try them. Their mid-grade gas label is green as is the diesel nozzle which is on the same pump. So here I am cussing at the pump, with diesel nozzel in hand, because pump would not turn on when I realized what I was about to do. After a good laugh I replaced the deisel nozzle, grabbed the mid-grade one, hit the green button and began fueling as I said to myself "ANOTHER SENIOR MOMENT".
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

That would ruin an otherwise bad trip to the gas station.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wow, you got my attention on this one. I can see it now, we're all going to have to carry adapters around to allow us to fill our gas tanks.

Anyone else have any info on this change?
bkahler- no info on that change but I do remember when unleaded first came out and alot of stations still only had choice of regular/premium pumps that had a fatter nozzle so you did have to carry a adapter to slip over the nozzle in order to get gas without punching out the flap in filler neck.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Similar problem...

On the way to the Outer Banks a couple of years ago, I was a little too picky about where I was going to pull off the highway for gas and found myself absolutely needing fuel. The station I pulled into had one island I could get to and still pull around back to get out (you don't back up when flat towing). I waited until I could get up to the pump and got out to refuel. When I tried to insert the nozzle, I could not get it to go in... some kind of attachment advertising cigarets, beer or what ever kept the nozzle from going more than an inch or two into the opening. When you tried to fuel, it came right back at you. No way to take the #@$$ ad holder off the nozzle. Ended up having to drop the Jeep off in their parking lot and make my way to a small station on further in town down narrow streets. No fun. The bad thing about this situation is that you have no way of knowing when you will run into it again.
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
in California

we just spent 6 weeks on the road from LA to Tahoe to Santa Cruz with no fueling issues in a gas 345 with mini cooper tow.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
downey , California
New pump nozzles don't fit fill opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickig46 View Post
The State of CA (in its infinite wisdom) has decided that all the fuel pump nozzles have to be upgraded to some wonderful standard but the compartment which the nozzle goes into on our AS will not accept the new nozzle (different shape and length). We actually got it stuck trying to force a new nozzle in and almost did not get it out (the gas station attendant wanted to tear apart the compartment). Anyway, I called Airstream and they had not heard of this problem. I cannot believe that we are the only ones with this problem - anyone heard of it or have a solution?

Vicki G.
I'm a bit late in answering this problem but here goes: My 2004 26' land yacht MH has indeed the fill problem. I finally used a plastic funnel that fit over the pump nozzle and into the tank opening. I used a soldering iron to punch some holes in the top of the funnel so the vacuum rubber on the pump nozzle would actuate the flow and not splash any gas. I carry it always due to many stations using nozzles that do not fit.
Chuck