Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anyone own a late model AS motorhome?

I'm mostly interested in AS trailers, but I follow the MH discussions a little bit.

It just occured to me that I have never seen a member of this forum with an avatar of a late-model Airstream motorhome below their name.

Does that mean that practically no one is buying new Airstream motorhomes anymore?

- Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	6130  

Old 04-22-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I'd guess that they're probably selling them as fast as they can build them. The higher-end motorhome market has had very strong sales over the past few years. They are selling to a different market entirely though. Those motorhomes are competing with Dutch Star, Tsunami, and a host of other upscale white-box motorhomes with slides. The folks who buy them aren't necessarily interested in the same kinds of things that classic Airstream trailer buyers are interested in in a unit: light weight, classic styling, floorplans in a small unit that maximize space. With a 300hp+ Cat or Cummins diesel on a Spartan or Freightliner chassis, weight isn't an issue. Storage isn't an issue. Number of slides and parked square footage is, and the bigger the better. Repairs and DYI don't typically fall into the picture until those coaches are older as most repairs are done under warranty and/or by dealerships for folks who can afford them.

We all have different reasons for buying Airstream trailers and classic motorhomes, but one of the things we have in common is that we like the classic style and the differentiation the silver trailers/MHs give us.

The new MHs are out there, and we've got some members here with mid to late '90s MHs looking for repair help, but I doubt that the Forums will be inundated with members with new Airstream 390s and skydeck motorhomes any time soon.

Roger

Old 04-22-2004, 06:22 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I think KrazyKraut (sp?) has one. I know that this was discussed a while back and many of us surmised that the newer motorhome owners rarely posted for a couple of reasons. One, they are not part of the demographic that uses the forum, they seem to be older folks that are not as computer savvy. Two, since they are new the units are still under warranty so they just take it to a dealer.

We would love to see more members with the newer MH's!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I for one hope that if some new MH owners are lurking, reading and enjoying the forum talk but not posting, that they'll join the conversation, adding their views and voices to everyone else. One of the aspects of this forum that I most enjoy and respect is its diversity, everyone unique but joined by a common thread, interest in camping-travel and Airstreams of every variety. So, please, join in around this campfire!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Jim Rogers

Jonesboro , Arkansas
we have a 2000 m.h. and we really enjoy traveling in it. we have a 1988 34ft trailer we like to take to the local lakes for fishing and camping with friends. we have had classic trailers and and m.h. for years....ours is a 30ft and we pull a gmc...jimmy...behind without any problems...took it out west last falll...no problem going over the mountains with it....had problems with the classic...we like the size of the 30ft...handles real well.....Jim and Phyllis
Old 04-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Welcome Jim

Hi Jim,
Good to see you on here. I know everyone will appreciate your knowledge of all things Airstream, I sure do.

Welcome,
Don Nall
Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
My parents own a 2001 31' MH by Airstream (gas model) and they LOVE it. They gave us their 1993 Excella Classic travel trailer instead of trading it in (thanks Mom and Dad!!!). My parents are computer nerds, they have many computers in both their house and "workshop" that are networked together and they use the internet for nearly everything. They know about this forum and would be using it *if* they were not on the road so much with the "Blimp" as they fondly call their Airstream Motorhome. Wish this was my life!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Well, Here I am

lurking about, making very few posts- an occassional one now and then. I do have a 2000 Land Yacht XC, 330 Cat on a Freightliner. Do enjoy agravating my coAirstreamers about the 10 MPG I get on a good day (9.5 on a bad one) I've had my share of trailers, have my eye on one (but I hope they can use it another 10 years) and I made an offer on a nice '68 Overlander the other day, but he hasn't said yes-yet. I love to work on them, love to pull them, but I was blessed with the opportunity to own this one for major travels and I enjoy using it for such. I will own another trailer someday, maybe sooner, maybe later, but probably will also keep the coach. I probably will never have a pic of it next to my name as I won't take the time to put it there-just doesn't mean much to show.........I'd rather be tinkering. We are involved heavily with our WBCCI unit, and enjoy that a lot; Georgia Unit, Top of Georgia campground, Helen, GA-Come see us!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i have been looking for a newer unit motor home. i find that the older folks are not computer savvy. i have ask for pictures be sent to my e-mail address and that turns out to be the last i hear from a seller. i am waiting for a seller to send me some pictures at the present time.it is a nice unit. priced just about right, travel involved i need some good pictures before i burn my gas. i have just about given that one up also. they want to sell and move up to a bigger unit they need to find someone to do the internet thing for them. or kodak and slow mail will work. most bought with the thought it will outlast me. and a airstream will do that. if it aint broke dont fix it. if i dont use dont fix it. when they try to sell they have to confess their sins. i was going to get it fixed. a zillion little things need fixing and they want top retail.. they dont tell you untill you get there and start finding the problems. on the way home you wander why you burnt all that gas to look at a pile of junk. that is still under warranty. not once but twice..
think i will keep the silver weenie.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
How new?

Al and Sue,
How new are you looking for?
I have some friends who were buying larger, who have a 1995 36' that I can send you several pics on. I took them for them so I still have copies. Also, when I was at Top of Georgia Airstream park last week, I saw on the board over there a 2000 Land Yacht XL (I think that's two slides with Ford gas engine), offered with a Saturn toad- don't remember the price; but seems like it was around $80,000. Let me know if you want pics of the 95.
jerry
Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
was looking for 2000 and up at a good price . the price for the 2000 is high retail. will consider average nada retail. if it has been lived in low retail.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Hixson , Tennessee
Readers not posters

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I for one hope that if some new MH owners are lurking, reading and enjoying the forum talk but not posting, that they'll join the conversation, adding their views and voices to everyone else. One of the aspects of this forum that I most enjoy and respect is its diversity, everyone unique but joined by a common thread, interest in camping-travel and Airstreams of every variety. So, please, join in around this campfire!
I am one of those who listen (read) more than I post (write). This is an interesting forum but I am usually following the Woodall's Open Roads forum.

Handydan
1997 Airstream Land Yacht motorhome
Old 07-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

New Airstream Motor Homes

My wife and I live full time in our 1981 Excella MH. Currently we are on the family farm just 20 miles east of the Airstream factory. I took a job with a transport company that contracts with Airstream to deliver new motorhomes to dealers, to supplement my retirement income. We stay here for six months and six months in Corona, CA where we are share owners in a RV park.

So far the majority of new Airstreams I have delivered are 26' gas Land Yachts. They look and drive great and attract attention whenever I stop, for gas of for the night. They have a new Skydeck on the lot right now. As soon as they have a dealer commitment I may get a call for that one.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:22 AM   #14
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
The folks who buy them aren't necessarily interested in the same kinds of things that classic Airstream trailer buyers are interested in in a unit......Repairs and DYI don't typically fall into the picture until those coaches are older as most repairs are done under warranty and/or by dealerships for folks who can afford them.

Roger
I agree, the units are too new to be seen here yet. If there are problems, the owners are not the ones that fix them yet. I bet alot of those units are paid for in cash. Such owners probably don't have to or want to spin their own wrench. And can spend more time camping. Glad there are folks like that around. Means more used airstream motorhome for the rest of us.