Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Anyone mount a TV holder to the front ceiling/dome of a motor home?

With the commonality of flat screen TVs now and therefore them being relatively light, I am thinking about putting a TV holding bracket / arm somewhere in the front dome area of my '74 Argosy motorhome. Obviously, the arm would have to be connected to a frame member in the dome. I have not looked through my service manual yet, but I recall that it indicates roughly where the frame members are. The rest could be narrowed-down via a stud finder.

Has anyone else already done this in their classic motorhome? Success / failure stories? Pictures? How did you route the power and antenna wires?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I hate to disappoint you but there is no framework in the dome area. In one of my posts in a different thread I posted pictures of the front shell area with the plastic cap removed.

I've seen pictures of things mounted in that area but I don't know how or what the were mounted to.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
I've never done it and I don't know the pitfalls of Argosy vs 345 MH, but I have removed and reinstalled several interior cockpit panels for floor and ceiling repairs. Just look for the rivets and you'll find the frames, removal is no harder than drilling out the rivets, just be sure and use the same size rivets to put them back. With the panels off, wiring becomes a non-event since the original wires are now visible. The challenge is knowing which wires to splice into for power, a wire tracing tool makes short work of that. If the Argosy has the roof mounted TV antenna then you can tap into that for over the air HDTV. With the metal framing, I'm not sure how well the stud finder would work but pulling a panel removes all the guess work. The other bonus to pulling a panel is you can drill a small enough hole for routing your wiring, but big enough for a rubber grommet. Good luck on your project!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I hate to disappoint you but there is no framework in the dome area. In one of my posts in a different thread I posted pictures of the front shell area with the plastic cap removed.

I've seen pictures of things mounted in that area but I don't know how or what the were mounted to.

Brad
Hmm. That sucks. I guess I better look at that service manual again. I forgot to look at the VIN earlier today for a response to your other thread when I was out in the barn earlier today. I guess I'll wander back out there now and check the manual for mounting ideas and the VIN for which I titled it to.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Here's what my manual shows. It looks like I should be able to attach something to #11 or #16. Perhaps #16 would be the safer one. With an articulating TV arm, attaching the mount on #16 should still allow for the TV to be placed in a good viewing location.

My stud finder will find metal studs, so it should be able to pin point the edges. But, if I target #16, then it will be easy to find due to the exterior rivet row as well as the interior rivet rows and the parting line of the front dome to the main ceiling.

Now, I just need to narrow down which TV to buy and an up-down articulating arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030486 (Large).JPG
Views:	145
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	175121  
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Here's what my manual shows. It looks like I should be able to attach something to #11 or #16. Perhaps #16 would be the safer one. With an articulating TV arm, attaching the mount on #16 should still allow for the TV to be placed in a good viewing location.

My stud finder will find metal studs, so it should be able to pin point the edges. But, if I target #16, then it will be easy to find due to the exterior rivet row as well as the interior rivet rows and the parting line of the front dome to the main ceiling.

Now, I just need to narrow down which TV to buy and an up-down articulating arm.
Number 11 is the same frame that the sun visors are mounted to along with the curtain track. Number 16 is the aluminum rib where the front cap meets the aluminum skin that makes up the rest of the ceiling.

I'm fairly certain number 16 would support a TV. I'll find a picture of what it looks like and add it to this thread.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Here's a couple of pictures showing the two structural members 16 & 11.

Name:	345-front-rib-number-16-and-11.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	175142 Click image for larger version

Name:	345-front-rib-number-16.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	175143

Number 16 is a U shaped aluminum rib that is pretty substantial. You should have no trouble using this one for hanging a TV from.

Brad
Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Thanks, Brad. #16 it is for a TV.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I know that it's completely a different beast, but I did mount my TV in the same area on my 92 LY. The only suggestion I would have is to add some additional support bonded to the endcap so the weight of the TV and mount is distributed across a larger area. That way any front to back motion is not concentrated on just the screws going into #16.

Here's a link to my installation:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ess-88711.html
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Its a great idea and one that I looked at and thought about lots.
However, it just was too much work.
The TV would have to be large to get a good line of sight, or drop down to be in the line of sight.. unless you want a bad neck!
Another issue is if you want to watch the TV whilst traveling.. rear view, and the speaker right by the driver... and tricky access to the cockpit.

I am going a slightly different way.. I have a dinette right behind the passenger side of the cockpit on my 345, but I think this would work even with the normal config.
There will be a 3' tall 2" square metal tube mounted with a plate foot to the floor on the passenger side, behind and to the right of the passenger seat... Imagine where the seatbelt reel would normally be.. or in this pic the top would be about where the front curtain is rolled up.

The top of the tube will be welded closed with a plate and a nut inside. Bolted to this will be an arm, that will pivot 90deg from flat across the back of the passenger seat to flat with the sidewall over the Dinette. Mounted on the arm will be another pivot with a standard TV wall mount, and our 32" LCD.

The passenger seat will still swivel and be fully functional.

The TV can be stored or watched flat against the sidewall from the couch, or drivers seat(when stopped!), or swung/stored flat against the back of the passenger seat and watched from the rearward dinette seat and couch. Dinette is fully functional, with the TV in either position.

I planned to have a position lock hole/pin on the mount to stop the TV moving unless you want it to.

The TV end of the arm will have a quick release pin, and maybe the TV base can stay on, so when the MH is not being used the TV can be popped out in a couple of mins, and used in the spare room at home.

Hope that makes sense!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
...That way any front to back motion is not concentrated on just the screws going into #16.
My only recommendation would be to not use screws in this application, use large head rivets. If you look at how Airstream mounted the overhead cabinets in the Classic series you'll find they used large head rivets (head diameter of about 5/8"). Actually they used a combination of rivets and screws. My best guess as to why both were used was for ease of installation. I think they used screws to initially hold the cabinets in place and then came back and used large head rivets to strengthen the mounting point.

Brad
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Its a great idea and one that I looked at and thought about lots.
However, it just was too much work.
The TV would have to be large to get a good line of sight, or drop down to be in the line of sight.. unless you want a bad neck!
Another issue is if you want to watch the TV whilst traveling.. rear view, and the speaker right by the driver... and tricky access to the cockpit.

I am going a slightly different way.. I have a dinette right behind the passenger side of the cockpit on my 345, but I think this would work even with the normal config.

The TV can be stored or watched flat against the sidewall from the couch, or drivers seat(when stopped!), or swung/stored flat against the back of the passenger seat and watched from the rearward dinette seat and couch. Dinette is fully functional, with the TV in either position.
Very good points. I never thought about it, but most flat screen TVs have the speakers facing down or rearward, which if the TV were mounted on hoop #16 (ref. previous posts) then the sound of Nemo, Peter Pan, Shrek, ... would just be blared in my ear as the family is rolling down the road. The drop-down aspect is a good one, too. Sitting in the front couch (my Argosy 24 config) would require watcher(s) to look up and turn their head at nearly a 90 degree angle. Similar for anyone sitting in the swivel chair, but at least they would only have to look up. I'm thinking now that I might move the whole deal back to the rib just forward of the entry door. In my floor plan, this would allow anyone in the front couch to easily view the TV and alternatively the TV could be swiveled-out so that the back couch could easily see it. It would partially cover the curb side front window (not the passenger cockpit window) in stowed position, but that's no different than the current non-movable TV setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
My only recommendation would be to not use screws in this application, use large head rivets. If you look at how Airstream mounted the overhead cabinets in the Classic series you'll find they used large head rivets (head diameter of about 5/8"). Actually they used a combination of rivets and screws. My best guess as to why both were used was for ease of installation. I think they used screws to initially hold the cabinets in place and then came back and used large head rivets to strengthen the mounting point.

Brad
I was thinking of drill and tap and using threaded bolts. I'm guessing the thickness of the aluminum rib is only about 1/8", but 2 to 3 bolts through there should hold a roughly 20" flat screen rather well. I am not really a fan of rivets and I try to use threaded fasteners anywhere I can.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
I'm thinking now that I might move the whole deal back to the rib just forward of the entry door.
This rib is not near as substantial as number 16. I'll go get a picture of what the rib you're talking about looks like so you'll have an idea of what you're up against.

Quote:
I was thinking of drill and tap and using threaded bolts. I'm guessing the thickness of the aluminum rib is only about 1/8", but 2 to 3 bolts through there should hold a roughly 20" flat screen rather well. I am not really a fan of rivets and I try to use threaded fasteners anywhere I can.
I don't think it is made of 1/8" material. The number 16 rib is still sitting by my shop so I'll measure the thickness and report back.

As far as rivets vs screws I think you'll find that rivets will hold better in this application than screws will. Screws can vibrate loose where rivets will not.

Brad
Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Just measured the rib thicknesses. Number 16 is .189" (~3/16") which is thicker than I originally thought. The rib(s) by the door measure .070" (~1/6").

The rib by the door is actually made up of two thin aluminum ribs that are placed back to back to form a U shape. At only .070" thick there is no way you can drill and tap this rib.

Number 16

Name:	345-rib-number-16.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	175180

Door rib

Name:	345-ribs-by-door.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	175179

Junction of number 16 and number 11 above the passenger seat

Name:	345-juntion-of-number-16-and-11.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	175181

Overall view of the front structure

Name:	345-front-structure.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	175178

I hope this helps you in your decision making

Brad
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
This very thought has been going through my mind for months now. Won't have to worry about entertaining whilst driving, as don't really plan on many 'visitors' riding along. Look out the window at the scenery if you must, lol.
The speaker situation isn't something I had thought about though. Guessing a surround sound system will be in order once the $ arrive to do all of this. In the 345, there is a sofa streetside, and 2 barrel chairs curbside. Barrel chairs will hit the dumpster when I find the recliner I'm looking for, lol.
I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do. $ check from car accident will be coming soon, who knows what all I may (or may not) be able to purchase.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
When I was still looking for a live-aboard boat rather than an RV (before medical problems forced a change in plans), I saw an interesting take on flat-screen televisions in a Nordic Tug. It used a hinged mount, so that when not in use the screen folded up against the ceiling (and latched in place), and in use it folded down. This kept it more out-of-the-way than an articulating mount, and seemed much more secure as well, since the load was spread over the entire width of the television.

The way it was mounted was they used some heavy marine-grade plywood (can't remember if it was half-inch or three-quarter-inch) as a backing to which the television was attached with a wall mount. The plywood secured to the overhead with a substantial piano hinge and another piece of plywood as a gusset to fill in the curve of the overhead. I forget how the gusset was attached to the roof. I also forget what they used for a latch to hold it in place when folded up. Since the television was large and heavy, they used pneumatic lifters salvaged from a subcompact hatchback tailgate to make raising and lowering easier and safer.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
In the 345, there is a sofa streetside, and 2 barrel chairs curbside.
I visited a 345 with the same setup at a campground once that had a large flat screen just mounted to the the credenza on the curb side. Perhaps you don't need a swing-away setup at all with a 345.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
OK, here are some pics of my installation with a 26" LED TV.

TV folded up against the ceiling leaving plenty of room to let the driver and passenger get seated when driving.

A closer view of the mount. The lower metal rod allows the TV to be locked up or lowered to an angled position or straight down position. Pulling the ring unlocks pivot allowing the TV to be rotated 360 degrees.

TV lowered so the mount is slightly angled down. No neck strain when watching from the couch, dinette or rear barrel chair.

Locking ring allows the monitor to be rotated left and right.

TV turned left and right

View of the rear of the TV showing all the electrical connections. I added provisions for two HDMI inputs and a coax but I'm currently only using one of the HDMI inputs since the Home Theater AMP controls switching. Need to do some dusting.

Cabinet located just behind the driver's seat that houses the Blu-Rey player, Sat Receiver and Surround Sound Amp. Still need to clean up the wiring.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I made up this mount. The 32 inch LED stores on the wall in the bedroom where it can also be watched.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1447179067.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	176933  
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan