Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Woodland Hills , California
Anybody installed 3 point seat belts?

I'm getting ready to install three point seat belts.
Has anyone done this installation to their moho?

I see the structural support adjacent to my driver/pass. windows
I've heard the support is only 1/8" thick , so I will need to reinforce the support rib. I plan on installing a steel plate, w/ 4 bolts into the structural rib for the shoulder support point.

Any thoughts?

Appreciate any input.

flatouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this may or may not help, but I spent years trying to figure out how to install shoulder harness belts in my 1959 Ford Galaxie. The floor mounts were easy; Just holes in the floor with huge washers under the floor. the hard part was figuring out how to mount the "D" ring. I finally decided to drill a hole all the way through my "B" pillar post and I used a lug nut stud going all the way though the pillar post. This was the easiest and strongest way that I could come up with.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Just to make sure, you do know that three-point belts are not required, don't you? Motor vehicles, including motor homes, are only required to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) that were in effect at the time the vehicle was built. So if it originally didn't have shoulder harnesses, it doesn't legally need them now, either.

I don't fault you for wanting to do itó safer is always better. I just wanted to point out that you don't have to do it.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote