Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2003, 03:36 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I use a Cobra Handheld CB in the truck. It's essentially a microphone with the radio controls built in. It connects to a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes that has a 12V connector and a coax connector. It works great! You could free up some mounting space for something cool like an XM radio or MP3 player!

My view of CB is a little different. I DON'T want to hear 90% of what's on there. I DO want to hear only what is close to me. If there's a traffic tie-up I'll know which lane to get in, or if there's something wrong with my rig maybe someone will let me know.

For that purpose all I need is a good squelch function. I turn it up about 3/4 of the way and only the people very close to me come through. The Cobra does a good job at this.

I've found on caravans and at rallies my setup does a more than adequate job hearing or talking to people who are far off. The most important factor is the antenna. I use a magmount with a K-40 right in the middle of the roof on the truck.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:38 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dallas, why don't you use the 706 for listening to the CB? I'll check the sensitivity of the 706 vs a "Radio Scrap" rig I have, and report back, just for the heck of it. I know you said you were interested in just the up close stuff though. Wonder if the audio quality of the 706 on AM is better than a standard CB on 27.185 Mhz.

Pick, WA8ZYT
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #23
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Vhf-b17?

Hi Fellow RVer:
We are Emeritus from Airstream traveling, however we continue to have an abiding interest in Airstreaming and Ham Radio (Also WW Airplanes) During WWII I was a tail gunner in a B-17-E in the Pacific. Love that Airplane. I think what I am looking at in your photo is a B-29, not a B-17, unless that one was really modified. I am retired from Boating - I sailed for several years in the SW Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and East Coast of US. Always used VHF and would love to use it in my car, but I am wondering about licensing for shore mobile use - Can you provide more info on this. I am still an active Ham (KD8VD) and participate in FWA/Coast Guard Aux Nets. Your post was most interesting
Sincerely,
Dr Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
I've been very pleased with the High Sierra Antenna and have used it on our Airstream for a couple of years. Check them out at www.hsantennas.com/info/

The High Sierra is supplied with a nice mounting setup which is attaches easily to the trailer tounge. I get 1:1 SWR on all bands 75-10 and removing the whip opens up 6m SSB. I have a small dual band mounted on the refridgerator vent topside for 2m and 440. Nicer still, the HS comes in silver! Unfortunately, when I got mine, black was the only choice...

There are other HS antennas which are made specifically for motorhomes. The ladder is a popular mounting spot. It gets the antenna up a little higher than the receiver hitch -- a lot of motorhomes end up towing a car anyway.

While attending rallies, it's nice to have both VHF and HF. There's a Ham Radio Intra-club within WBCCI. They use 146.43 for communication nets and are a great group of folks. The members stay in touch over longer distances using HF. Hams used to serve very important roles in caravans--especially coming to the rallies--before the days of cell phones!

My rig is an Icom 706mkIIG. My 'station' is the kitchen table. The coax goes through the wall beside the fridge and up to the VHF antenna and out through the bottom vent and along the gas lines up to the hitch area for HF. DC power is available at the TV jack. I simply move the Icom from the truck to the trailer once we're parked. The screwdriver antenna is usable mobile as well as parked with the trailer. I simply change the coax connection from the truck to the trailer. (Screwdrivers also have a two conductor cable which controls the movement of the antenna for tuning.)

Here's a picture of the setup...Note: the B17 is NOT part of the ground plane!

73, de KB9QPE
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #24

Greetings from Arthur Clark kd6gby

Dear Jim,

I have been trying to get a hold of you for a couple of years. I just want to say hello and catch up with everything.

Please give me a call 916 429 2328 or 916 429 1046

I hope all is well.

73's

art

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Goertzen
Howdy out there. Im new to this site, and new to Airstream, but not new to ham radio. KB6OIN in St. Helena, California . Hope to be getting a Bambi in the near future. Would like to hear from hams, especially those hams using a Bambi. The Bambi won't be a "shack" but would take some gear along on trips. Pictures of your Bambi with gear, ants, etc would be great. Hope to hear from someone, 73's,Jim
rtclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtclark
Dear Jim,

I have been trying to get a hold of you for a couple of years. I just want to say hello and catch up with everything.

Please give me a call 916 429 2328 or 916 429 1046

I hope all is well.

73's

art
getting ready for work,but will write soon and call you, great hearing from you, Jim 73
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote