Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2003, 03:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
white1949's Avatar
 
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Dillon , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 40
Images: 5
Thanks for the info--I'll give it a try. KA4BFY
__________________

__________________
white1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 53
Howdy out there. Im new to this site, and new to Airstream, but not new to ham radio. KB6OIN in St. Helena, California . Hope to be getting a Bambi in the near future. Would like to hear from hams, especially those hams using a Bambi. The Bambi won't be a "shack" but would take some gear along on trips. Pictures of your Bambi with gear, ants, etc would be great. Hope to hear from someone, 73's,Jim
__________________

__________________
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:06 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
DPeakMD's Avatar
 
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 472
Images: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I've been very pleased with the High Sierra Antenna and have used it on our Airstream for a couple of years. Check them out at www.hsantennas.com/info/

The High Sierra is supplied with a nice mounting setup which is attaches easily to the trailer tounge. I get 1:1 SWR on all bands 75-10 and removing the whip opens up 6m SSB. I have a small dual band mounted on the refridgerator vent topside for 2m and 440. Nicer still, the HS comes in silver! Unfortunately, when I got mine, black was the only choice...

There are other HS antennas which are made specifically for motorhomes. The ladder is a popular mounting spot. It gets the antenna up a little higher than the receiver hitch -- a lot of motorhomes end up towing a car anyway.

While attending rallies, it's nice to have both VHF and HF. There's a Ham Radio Intra-club within WBCCI. They use 146.43 for communication nets and are a great group of folks. The members stay in touch over longer distances using HF. Hams used to serve very important roles in caravans--especially coming to the rallies--before the days of cell phones!

My rig is an Icom 706mkIIG. My 'station' is the kitchen table. The coax goes through the wall beside the fridge and up to the VHF antenna and out through the bottom vent and along the gas lines up to the hitch area for HF. DC power is available at the TV jack. I simply move the Icom from the truck to the trailer once we're parked. The screwdriver antenna is usable mobile as well as parked with the trailer. I simply change the coax connection from the truck to the trailer. (Screwdrivers also have a two conductor cable which controls the movement of the antenna for tuning.)

Here's a picture of the setup...Note: the B17 is NOT part of the ground plane!

73, de KB9QPE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream plane.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2300  
__________________
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
Orland Dewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 79
C B Radio

I need some advise...

I have to replace my original CB Unit that came in the 1985 325 MH. I have the New Antenna in place and the Unit still doesn't work.

I need suggestions as to whats the latest units and there good and bad points.

Or I could send this unit back to original company for repair if they would.

I do not have any idea as to what the latest units are and what the truckers are using.

thanks for the help.

ODD
__________________
ODD
Orland Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
59toaster's Avatar
 
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,197
Images: 22
Re: C B Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by Orland Dewey
I need some advise...

I have to replace my original CB Unit that came in the 1985 325 MH. I have the New Antenna in place and the Unit still doesn't work.

I need suggestions as to whats the latest units and there good and bad points.

Or I could send this unit back to original company for repair if they would.

I do not have any idea as to what the latest units are and what the truckers are using.

thanks for the help.

ODD
Well what the trucks use are usualy Cobra's like the 148. If your just using it to listen for traffic problems then a lower end unit would proably fit the bill. I'm using a Cobra 19 I think is the model in one of my trucks. The reason I picked it was it had a front firing speaker and it had weather bands. I think I spent $60 on it at Wally world. My only beef is I wish it had a PA feature.
__________________
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
1998 28' Excella
Pensacola , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27
CB RADIO

Hi Toaster,

Responding to your question about CB's, I have a Uniden Bearcat model PC78LTW that I used on my MH. It has seven weather channels in addition to reg 40 channels. It also has an SWR function for tuning the antenna. Shopped around , and got it for $117, about two yrs ago. Works great. Good luck! Jim
__________________
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:36 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
DPeakMD's Avatar
 
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 472
Images: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I use a Cobra Handheld CB in the truck. It's essentially a microphone with the radio controls built in. It connects to a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes that has a 12V connector and a coax connector. It works great! You could free up some mounting space for something cool like an XM radio or MP3 player!

My view of CB is a little different. I DON'T want to hear 90% of what's on there. I DO want to hear only what is close to me. If there's a traffic tie-up I'll know which lane to get in, or if there's something wrong with my rig maybe someone will let me know.

For that purpose all I need is a good squelch function. I turn it up about 3/4 of the way and only the people very close to me come through. The Cobra does a good job at this.

I've found on caravans and at rallies my setup does a more than adequate job hearing or talking to people who are far off. The most important factor is the antenna. I use a magmount with a K-40 right in the middle of the roof on the truck.
__________________
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pick's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,310
Images: 36
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dallas, why don't you use the 706 for listening to the CB? I'll check the sensitivity of the 706 vs a "Radio Scrap" rig I have, and report back, just for the heck of it. I know you said you were interested in just the up close stuff though. Wonder if the audio quality of the 706 on AM is better than a standard CB on 27.185 Mhz.

Pick, WA8ZYT
__________________
ARS WA8ZYT
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #23
Dr Joe
 
winner's Avatar
 
Central , South Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 252
Images: 6
Vhf-b17?

Hi Fellow RVer:
We are Emeritus from Airstream traveling, however we continue to have an abiding interest in Airstreaming and Ham Radio (Also WW Airplanes) During WWII I was a tail gunner in a B-17-E in the Pacific. Love that Airplane. I think what I am looking at in your photo is a B-29, not a B-17, unless that one was really modified. I am retired from Boating - I sailed for several years in the SW Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and East Coast of US. Always used VHF and would love to use it in my car, but I am wondering about licensing for shore mobile use - Can you provide more info on this. I am still an active Ham (KD8VD) and participate in FWA/Coast Guard Aux Nets. Your post was most interesting
Sincerely,
Dr Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
I've been very pleased with the High Sierra Antenna and have used it on our Airstream for a couple of years. Check them out at www.hsantennas.com/info/

The High Sierra is supplied with a nice mounting setup which is attaches easily to the trailer tounge. I get 1:1 SWR on all bands 75-10 and removing the whip opens up 6m SSB. I have a small dual band mounted on the refridgerator vent topside for 2m and 440. Nicer still, the HS comes in silver! Unfortunately, when I got mine, black was the only choice...

There are other HS antennas which are made specifically for motorhomes. The ladder is a popular mounting spot. It gets the antenna up a little higher than the receiver hitch -- a lot of motorhomes end up towing a car anyway.

While attending rallies, it's nice to have both VHF and HF. There's a Ham Radio Intra-club within WBCCI. They use 146.43 for communication nets and are a great group of folks. The members stay in touch over longer distances using HF. Hams used to serve very important roles in caravans--especially coming to the rallies--before the days of cell phones!

My rig is an Icom 706mkIIG. My 'station' is the kitchen table. The coax goes through the wall beside the fridge and up to the VHF antenna and out through the bottom vent and along the gas lines up to the hitch area for HF. DC power is available at the TV jack. I simply move the Icom from the truck to the trailer once we're parked. The screwdriver antenna is usable mobile as well as parked with the trailer. I simply change the coax connection from the truck to the trailer. (Screwdrivers also have a two conductor cable which controls the movement of the antenna for tuning.)

Here's a picture of the setup...Note: the B17 is NOT part of the ground plane!

73, de KB9QPE
__________________
Dr Joe & Winn
Emeritus Airstreamers
KD8VD
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #24
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Greetings from Arthur Clark kd6gby

Dear Jim,

I have been trying to get a hold of you for a couple of years. I just want to say hello and catch up with everything.

Please give me a call 916 429 2328 or 916 429 1046

I hope all is well.

73's

art


Quote:
Originally Posted by H Goertzen
Howdy out there. Im new to this site, and new to Airstream, but not new to ham radio. KB6OIN in St. Helena, California . Hope to be getting a Bambi in the near future. Would like to hear from hams, especially those hams using a Bambi. The Bambi won't be a "shack" but would take some gear along on trips. Pictures of your Bambi with gear, ants, etc would be great. Hope to hear from someone, 73's,Jim
__________________
rtclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:13 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 53
howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtclark
Dear Jim,

I have been trying to get a hold of you for a couple of years. I just want to say hello and catch up with everything.

Please give me a call 916 429 2328 or 916 429 1046

I hope all is well.

73's

art
getting ready for work,but will write soon and call you, great hearing from you, Jim 73
__________________

__________________
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cb radio, cassette radio jagcb750 Classic Motorhomes 14 04-19-2012 03:32 PM
Amateur Radio MoHo jking Classic Motorhomes 3 05-13-2007 09:48 PM
TV Connection to CD / Radio rear aux input tkowalyk Audio, Video & TV 0 03-18-2007 11:40 AM
Amateur Radio Club junbe WBCCI Forum 7 03-16-2005 04:03 AM
amateur radio antenna for motorhome white1949 Our Community 0 01-01-2003 11:17 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.