Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #41
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Your Busted!

Susan,
Drop the cyclo polisher and keep your hands in plain sight.

This is a sad thing that has now happened to the Airstream world. I thought it was limited to Mini Coopers, but these sick people will stop at nothing. I am talking about COUNTERFEITS. Look at the Mini Cooper picture below, it would take an expert to tell the difference between this and a real Mini. I am sure you were sucked in by some smooth talking professional con man. It's not your falt. Take the RV to Jackson Center and turn yourself in now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	16403  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #42
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
No offense, azflycaster, but what the heck does your post have to do with Susan's question?
She said that she has a 1979 Airstream motor home with aluminum side panels and steel end panels. We know that Airstream built such an animal in 1979. Why would we question that it is legit??
Obviuosly, she is taking this question very seriously and deserves a serious answer.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryecho
Richard- from what I am understanding, airstream had 3 models available in '79. It is not nice to call my motorhome a fraud, with no backup whatsoever other than your opinion. As I said before, maybe you can change nameplates, but it is not easy, or legal, to change a title that says airstream, and mine is not the only one out there.

I want to apologise, I in no way called your motorhome a fraud.

I for one use the names Airstream and Argosy interchagably. I love them all. I think everyone on the forums would back me up on that!

To the second part of your above statment, I have seen titles that had the wrong Year, the wrong weight, the wrong brand of vehicle and an inacurate vin number. I by the way made no reference to your titles validity in my original post nor do I now.

Your Motorhome is cool whatever it is.

Why your buyer cares one way or the other on this particular motohome I have no idea. At the end of the day it will have steel end caps no matter what it was named when it was new, Airstream or Argosy by Airstream.

On my Airstream motorhome if you look at the drivers side of the dash thru the windshield on the side there is a sticker with the Vin and build date and it says built by Airsteam Inc, I am sure if it were an Argosy it would say Argosy there.

Do you have this sticker? What does it say?

Best of luck
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Airsteam, Airstream Or Argosy - I like Rivited Aluminum.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
79 Was a transition year for the motorhomes, moving from Argosy to Airstream naming. One of the reasons was that when the motohromes first came out dealers and "purists" were not happy with them being named Airstreams at all, in fact owners were not allowed into the WBCCI unti years later.
Whether or not you have an Argosy or an Airstream in name, the rarity and the desirability is still there. There have been polished or painted Argosy's, some painted silver some beige or eggshell as was the factory shade, some color painted Airstreams ( seen one in white), others polished out, some a mix of both. Interesting to see so many variations.
What I did notice on the one pictured above is that it doesn't have the center striped area. I guess this started a bit later also.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

portland
Thank you all for the education- it is amazing what a wealth of information is available in this forum, and how generous you all are in sharing it. Sorry if I was a little touchy there, it seemed we were about to plunge back into the argument, which I thought had been resolved (and I thought the mini cooper fraud picture was hilarious). At any rate, the airstream is not only sold, it is being shipped to jolly England, where it will be a mobile photo studio for a couple of fashion photographers! They promise to send pictures of the old twinkie draped in beautiful supermodels, which I promise to post here.
merryecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #47
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Cool! Glad it ended well. Are you going to get another AS....?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

portland
Janet, I am afraid I am one of those weak souls who doesn't like bringing housework along on vacation. Give me a tent in the mountains or a luxury hotel, but don't make me cook and clean house when I don't have to! (In other words, we will be getting another airstream when every Hilton in the county shuts down for good.)
merryecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #49
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
LOL - I can see your point. We were camping a couple of weeks ago (in trailer) and some folks a few sites down had pizza delivered to their 5th wheel door!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote