Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
I have not looked into my windows much, they are too depressing!

So on my 82 airstream. My cockpit window has zero seals or proper channels I can actually pull my glass right out! I need to drive with the windows open as much as possible because it's freakin hot in 20c weather in these tin cans lol. I tuck the glass into the structural frame when open or closed and use tape to aid it to stay in position.

My sliders I have had all but one open? The driver side twin bed 30" window is stattered so I have masking tape holding it together inside and out. Every time I open or close a window chunks of plastic red, black and grey are come out lmao! I have to really muscle the windows open and closed. Oh I've never had passenger cockpit open.

My parts vehicle a 76 argosy looks more user friendly at a glance? It seems to make more sense to just have the glass vs aluminum window frames? So far I've only looked at them never stared yet. I know they are 100% locked in with dirt and moss. Drivers cockpit it missing window frame by the dash and has a nicely formed piece of silicone 12x1x1 inch hold stuff into place/ keeping water out?
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
I have not looked into my windows much, they are too depressing!

So on my 82 airstream. My cockpit window has zero seals or proper channels I can actually pull my glass right out! I need to drive with the windows open as much as possible because it's freakin hot in 20c weather in these tin cans lol. I tuck the glass into the structural frame when open or closed and use tape to aid it to stay in position.
Whatever you do don't break that glass!! The cockpit windows are the hardest ones to fine and most expensive to purchase when found. It's a good thing you have an Argosy for parts!

Quote:
My sliders I have had all but one open? The driver side twin bed 30" window is stattered so I have masking tape holding it together inside and out. Every time I open or close a window chunks of plastic red, black and grey are come out lmao! I have to really muscle the windows open and closed. Oh I've never had passenger cockpit open.
Here's a replacement drivers side slider pane for you.

Quote:
My parts vehicle a 76 argosy looks more user friendly at a glance? It seems to make more sense to just have the glass vs aluminum window frames? So far I've only looked at them never stared yet. I know they are 100% locked in with dirt and moss. Drivers cockpit it missing window frame by the dash and has a nicely formed piece of silicone 12x1x1 inch hold stuff into place/ keeping water out?
Sounds like the Argosy had a rough life.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I definitely have the cockpit sliders open, just about all the time. It is the house sliders that I wish I changed to the standard type.,along with the modern trailer type VistaViews. I sound like a abroken record but I still can't understand why Airstream continue to launch models which are just van conversions when the trailer parts list could make a really nice classic style motorhome.
I run with all my windows (cockpit sliders and house windows)open on a regular basis. I wouldn't want the trailer style windows which I understand are easily broken by driving down the road with them open. With no dash AC I need to get some air moving to offset the solar gain. I am sure that people in warmer parts of the country run their AC more than those of us in the Northeast!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
^^ the argosy is a mixed bag to say the least. Watching some rebuilds here I'd say some units have had bigger problems in certain aspects. The body looks really good, it has been repainted and looks sharp!from 20 feet. I will have a problem chopping this girl up when I get to it..... I will most likely salvage a window from this for my airstream. I have a lot of stuff going on and have a few major projects and life goals to take care of in the next couple years so I'll make a decision then. It's a large unit, I promised i would try for it to be gone in 3 years.Also I talked to a guy in Alberta that has windows ( last year and I think he said he would sell one at $200cad. As it's been pointed out about the rarity of the cockpit windows, I'm kinda worried I should keep spares, and fair question, what spare parts do people keep? How much spares are too much?, I'm in for a long haul 30 plus year time frame I'll be owning this coach.

Brad

Goes to show you there must be a demand for used parts. If I could guarantee $500 per pair x9 ( plus 200 for the rear)I'd be drilling out the rivets as I type this
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Whatever you do don't break that glass!! The cockpit windows are the hardest ones to fine and most expensive to purchase when found. It's a good thing you have an Argosy for parts!

Here's a replacement drivers side slider pane for you.

Sounds like the Argosy had a rough life.
We simply could not afford to replace the passenger side cockpit slide window on our 1988 classic Airstream moho. Chris, (morelach here), bought some plexiglass, cut to fit and heated it to bend. Heating must be done carefully so you don’t cloud the plexiglass. I swear he can fix/make anything.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
...If the metal style schlegel works on Peanut's side window we will probably attempt the same thing on the passenger cockpit window to see if it makes a difference.

Brad
I can now confirm that the metal style schlegel works with the Argosy slider windows. Is it perfect, not 100%, but the window opens and closes. Closing you have to put a little zip into the motion but it closes and latches

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 AM   #27
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I remember reading a comment from Peter, that suggested cutting through the backbone of the schlegel to allow it to expand and bend around the curved corners without 'puckering' the felt (I also remember replying that Bella's schlegel was replaced, but is quite badly crinkled as the felt gets compressed to allow the metal strip to go around the curve). What I can't remember is whether that applied to the felt or rubber type schlegel!

Did you have to go that route?
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I remember reading a comment from Peter, that suggested cutting through the backbone of the schlegel to allow it to expand and bend around the curved corners without 'puckering' the felt (I also remember replying that Bella's schlegel was replaced, but is quite badly crinkled as the felt gets compressed to allow the metal strip to go around the curve). What I can't remember is whether that applied to the felt or rubber type schlegel!

Did you have to go that route?
We did no cutting of the backbone on the Schlegel in the corners. However we did do that with the all rubber Schlegel, couldn't get it in the others without doing so.

The steel Schlegel is actually more like a million wire staples set side by side and wrapped in cloth. Seems to stretch fairly well.

Brad