Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Crazy, it should be by brand name- period.

hmm. I still think AS needs to think about looking at other materials for construction. We all like the Aluminum but there are also concerns- corrosion, wood floor, etc that certainly some modernized techniques might solve. I just slammed another $5K into my baby so I am/have really crossed the line on buying another one without significant loss but there are many interesting RVs out there with enduring features though Airstream does, IMO still hold the style award.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Since we're all just speculating.....

A classic Moho (like the 345) on an F350 chassis (or Ram 3500, GMC 3500) would be cool. Just have Ford/Ram/GMC deliver the chassis to Jackson Center and build the Classic look around it. I suspect any of those foundations could easily be used to reproduce the Classic look of the older Moho's.

But then, I would LOVE to own a 345. They're just dern cool.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
What ever happened to the new GMC bus based RV
http://viewrvs.com/blog/2013/02/19/a...omment-page-1/
Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #18
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Or better still the concept Mike shared in this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ng-140188.html
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Ha! And with enough horsepower that thing could also double as an F-22 Stealth fighter....or the Starship Enterprise.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Good question. I couldn't find anything in a 5 minute search. It may have been someone's wishful thinking that matured into a rumor.

The GM 4104 and 4103 busses were Raymond Loewy designs that characterized an era of designs signifying speed and sleekness—the bus would be a good match with Airstream.

Gene
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
One of my favourite vehicles of all time was the GM 4104's. I put many miles on these beauties on the roads of VI in the 60's and 70's.

The original article on this proposal was, if you read the original thread, just a pleasant dream that FRED had, probably after some late night wine?

The concept would make a lot of sense to the average RV'r but unfortunately large companies have no desire to fill a niche market. GM has been out of the bus business for over 20 years and has not the ability, or desire, to re-enter that market. (They just sublet the construction of one model of heavier van to International for manufacturing! and the truck division was sold to International a few years ago)

The nearest thing you are going to get to a GM 4104 in the 1996 Airstream Clipper.

The Clipper has basically the same shape and forward visibility, similar wheelbase, more power, an automatic transmission and similar size. The body is one foot longer and six inches wider, and 5'' taller. The basement storage on the Clipper is greater, and comes with a better a/c system, ( although that could be improved upon with new technology).
The CLIPPER does not have the polished aluminum finish, but you can't have it all?

It was probably my past experience with the GM 4104's the attracted me to my AIRSTREAM CLIPPER.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There was a huge battle back about 8-10 years ago within WBCCI about "what is an Airstream?" One side, mostly motor home owners who wanted to replace their rigs with new argued that a rebadged Thor Industries motor home would qualify while the other side, quoting the bylaws, argued that it had to be manufactured by Airstream in Jackson Center (or the earlier California plant)

The Sprinter qualifies under the latter definition, as does the Argosy, the existing motorhomes and all the Airstream trailers.

I quit in the middle of the battle as I was disgusted with the rhetoric.
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
The info I have from a credible source is;
It's a Sprinter Ext based class b plus (or as we used to call them, class c) with at least one slide....and is coming out this December.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Why not? Isn't a Mercedes Sprinter an Airstream Interstate?
Actually, no. All Interstates started off as Sprinters, but not all Sprinters become Interstates. Interstate conversion vans were converted in Jackson Center at Airstream, so the interior is an Airstream even though the exterior is not.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And I've seen other Sprinters converted to RV's by other manufacturers. I think at least one version was a stretched Sprinter. That may be the same thing Airstream is thinking of doing.

Gene
Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, no. All Interstates started off as Sprinters, but not all Sprinters become Interstates. Interstate conversion vans were converted in Jackson Center at Airstream, so the interior is an Airstream even though the exterior is not.

Yes - squares and rectangles - I had it backwards. What I meant was - an MB Sprinter converted to an AS Interstate is most definitely an AS product and is not to be excluded from WBCCI membership.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
So this was just announced. Maybe they will slide the Entegra into the Airstream brand name. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300293191.html
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jayco sales are bigger than Thor's, but profit margins are smaller. The press release linked by Gary just above tells of the sale of Jayco to Thor. Jayco profit was 4.7%; Thor was 6.2%. Thus it is likely pressure will come to Jayco to reduce costs just like Thor has for many years. That will mean cheaper materials, low wages and high turnover, bad workmanship. Despite the present management at Jayco staying on, that rarely works out. They stay for a year or two, the new guys learn how to run the company they bought, then the old management gets a golden parachute and moves on. Everyone is happy or pretends to be.

Thor is known for mediocrity. I don't whether Jayco is or not, but they will be.

Gene