Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #1

PC , Florida
Airstream Floorplans

The lowdown- I have lusted after Airstreams since I was a kid. My girlfriend wants one too, to haul our 3 kids around. I am kind of familiar with Airstreams, but I would like to gut one and renovate it with updated appliances, floors, etc., while maintaining an original exterior look. I would also like a rear bedroom model, and something in the 30' range. AND, I'd like it to be a 70's or early 80's model. Which 'stream should I be looking for? And what years are the ones to avoid?

Old 03-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Large topic

First, Welcome to airstreamforums.

Second, there is so much information available here I'd suggest you start by using "SEARCH" on the above line. Try "full monte" as your first entry - or "frame off restoration" would be good.

To look for years to consider avoiding look at the "tail droop" subject. Also become familiar with "rubber torsion axles" and "axle replacement" - expensive and necessary things to consider. You'll find a facinating story if you search for "stainless steel frame".

As for floor plans, first consider your family's unique needs, next look at a lot of vintage floor plans to decide what works best. Using gauchos (couches that fold out to beds) or dinettes that convert to beds is an option, but some find it inconvenient to completely make up and unmake beds on a daily basis. Check "bunk beds" for choices there.

Get your reading glasses out! Have fun on your search for the right Airstream to modify. Also look under the Classified section in the top banners - you might find a unit that is almost ready for you to start camping in NOW. Check both vintage and late model units.

Good luck, see you down the road.

Paula Ford

Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome,

You are in for a WORLD of information here on the forums. I myself am converting my trailer into a rear bed trailer. Best luck on your search.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #4

PC , Florida
I've been digging around on this site for a few days and am just now learning the different models! I thought I would take a shortcut with my question
Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gws4
The lowdown- I have lusted after Airstreams since I was a kid. My girlfriend wants one too, to haul our 3 kids around. I am kind of familiar with Airstreams, but I would like to gut one and renovate it with updated appliances, floors, etc., while maintaining an original exterior look. I would also like a rear bedroom model, and something in the 30' range. AND, I'd like it to be a 70's or early 80's model. Which 'stream should I be looking for? And what years are the ones to avoid?
Here are a couple of sites to get you started. The first should have photos of a lot of models for various years. Good luck.
Dave

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Rabat , Morocco
Make your own....

I was having the same issue with 4 kids, and so I decided to just build what we needed. I never found any vintage floorplan that would fit our family needs, so I decided to basically gut one that needed the full monty anyway, and start over.
Our priorities were...
1. Sleeping for 6.
2. Kitchen and Refridgerator.
3. Storage.
Things I felt we didn't need....
Bathroom and Shower. I know they're nice, but the vast majority of campgrounds have bathrooms, and many have showers, if they already have hook-ups for trailers. It's not as convienent, but then I needed the room for bedspace. Most of our trips would be 4 days or less anyway.
This is the floorplan so far....
The door and windows are there already, so I have to adjust for them. The front dinette drops into a bed.
The stove/sink and minifridge will go along the wall opposite the door.
The door side will have a low long bench seat for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream floor plan - TD #1 door view.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	33407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream floor plan - TD #1 rear view.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	33408  

Old 03-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2333
I was having the same issue with 4 kids, and so I decided to just build what we needed. I never found any vintage floorplan that would fit our family needs, so I decided to basically gut one that needed the full monty anyway, and start over.
Our priorities were...
1. Sleeping for 6.
2. Kitchen and Refridgerator.
3. Storage.
Things I felt we didn't need....
Bathroom and Shower. I know they're nice, but the vast majority of campgrounds have bathrooms, and many have showers, if they already have hook-ups for trailers. It's not as convienent, but then I needed the room for bedspace. Most of our trips would be 4 days or less anyway.
This is the floorplan so far....
The door and windows are there already, so I have to adjust for them. The front dinette drops into a bed.
The stove/sink and minifridge will go along the wall opposite the door.
The door side will have a low long bench seat for storage.
Thats a nice little setup you got there. Would like to know what you used for the drawings.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Look for any posts from forum Member PizzaChop He heavily modified a vintage unit to sleep 9...He has 7 children. He put in a triple bunk arrangement where the mid twins used to be. Depending on the length of your trips you may be able to get creative. Some of the vintage units had bunks that went over the mid twins for smaller people. While the bunks are hard to find in the wild the hardware is still available and they can be built.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'd look at the mid '80's myself, just for the beefier frame over the '70's and early '80's trailers.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream Floorplans

Greetings gws5!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
If you aren't determined to have the polished aluminum look, the Argosy could offer you a wonderful base to work from. During the late 1970s, Argosy offered a rear bedroom floorplan. What was unique about this floorplan was that it offered the three-piece windows with the deep-wrap wing windows both front and rear that would not be available in Airstreams for several years. Depending upon year, these rear bedroom models were offered in either 28' or 30' models.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Welcome,

You are in for a WORLD of information here on the forums. I myself am converting my trailer into a rear bed trailer. Best luck on your search.
We too were thinking of converting our 23' to a rear bed unit. It would be a pile of work but that has never stop us from doing this kind of thing in the past. Might happen in the future.

The 27', 70's Airstreams have a nice rear bedroom model that we like.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
My 2 cents

Hi, we are converting our '67 24' to a rear bed. It is a vintage unit with double axles. Having two axles is great but it has made converting to a rear bedroom and having a bathroom on the side more complicated, because the axles and wheel wells get in the way of where plumbing and the bathroom would go. This is not to say it can't be done, we are doing something with ours that it sounds like no one has done before. So it might depend on where you want to put your bathroom and plumbing etc. if you want to convert a side bed to a rear bed. Good luck either way!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
wow!!!

hi, i just checked out the pictures and am SO impressed with your work and dedication. we just bought our 1979 excella motorhome and now i want a trailer to fix up also. i know it is a lot of work, but it actually look fun and what a treasure you will have when you're done! thanks for sharing. blessings and keep up the great job!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Rabat , Morocco
Google SketchUp

Soldiermedic,
There is a professional version ($) and a free one. I download the free one, "Google Sketchup", right from their search page. It's actually a lot of fun to use and you can make models of anything with exact measurements. It's also obvious that if you learn all the tricks, it's quite powerful.
p.s. they also DO NOT bundle a bunch of crap (adaware, etc.) with it and there is no "30-day free trial time limit". Once you download it, it's yours.
C-