Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Air bag compressor on '88 345

Hi everyone,
Looking for information regarding the operation of the solenoid within my rear air bag system. I understand that it is supposed to released pressure when the psi from the pump reaches the proper level. I also understand that this is to create a no load situation for the pump when it is next called on to work. The problem is that currently my solenoid appears to be releasing to much pressure (much more noise than unsual) so much that once it releases pressure the pump goes back on and this cycle continues. This seems to be a new development after recently bringing it out of storage. I have released the moisture in the system with no change in the operation. I know there is a low and high pressure switch on the wiring scheme but I'm not sure how to check for proper operation of pressure switches and solenoid? Any suggestions, Mr. D.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
Hi everyone,
Looking for information regarding the operation of the solenoid within my rear air bag system. I understand that it is supposed to released pressure when the psi from the pump reaches the proper level. I also understand that this is to create a no load situation for the pump when it is next called on to work. The problem is that currently my solenoid appears to be releasing to much pressure (much more noise than unsual) so much that once it releases pressure the pump goes back on and this cycle continues. This seems to be a new development after recently bringing it out of storage. I have released the moisture in the system with no change in the operation. I know there is a low and high pressure switch on the wiring scheme but I'm not sure how to check for proper operation of pressure switches and solenoid? Any suggestions, Mr. D.
The air can bleed back thru the compressor when it shuts off, when the small check valve goes bad.

Replacing the check valve stops that problem.

It's a small brass check valve that can be near the compressor, or under the coach, near the air bags.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Thanks, that's what I thought, I just can't find anything under the coach that looks like a check valve. What do you think about putting a second valve on line somewhere more reachable, on the pump side of the existing valve?
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought, I just can't find anything under the coach that looks like a check valve. What do you think about putting a second valve on line somewhere more reachable, on the pump side of the existing valve?
You can do that, but remember, the air line tubing is steel.

You will have to carefully add a couple of threaded fittings.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote