Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 31' Land Yacht 30
Nunica , Michigan
Advice Please- Land Yacht

Today my wife and I were looking into a used 2002 Airstream Land Yacht 30’. The unit is built on a Workhorse chassis and has a Chevy motor. What size engine is in this unit? Is it a 8.1? The unit is in beautiful shape and very low mileage. Is there any areas or items that I should pay special attention to? Overall impressions?
vplath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

It should have a 8.1 Vortec engine. The land Yacht has been built for many years and is noted for narrow body-low profile, making it easy to manuever.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. This is a good looking motor home sadly AS will no longer be making them. Buying it used you will avoid the big depreciation. I always advise that you check it out as if if were a house. Look for leaks, check the appliances, wear that should not be. Take along a friend who is not emotionally attached and will give an honest appraisal.
Good luck to you.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
land yacht

my wife and i spent 1.5 yrs looking for what we felt would be the best match for what we wanted. we found it in a land yacht. we were originally sold on the 30', but saw a 33' that was perfect in every aspect for us. we bought ours new, as i only wanted to buy new. i did not know enough about motorhomes to buy used. we are very happy with our purchase so far. it is definitely a little easier to handle than a much taller, larger coach, plus we wanted to have a class a vs class c for reasons of resale and life expectancy. we felt the airstream was the cream of the crop. it is true that they are no longer making new ones, but the low profile aspect of the workhorse chassis was a big selling point for us. we felt that "low was the way to go". we were not interested in slide outs, but they have their pluses in many peoples minds. as you have probably already read from the postings that there are many skilled and knowledgeable people who own airstreams of all types and can quickly and easily answer all of your questions. i have learned a great deal of information from this forum, and am constantly looking for new things to learn. good luck with your purchase
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
palm harbor , Florida
A 2002 Land Yacht with low mileage is a good rig. Buying used is the best way to buy an RV, as long as the dealer is reputable. I have a 1994 with few minor problems throughout the years, its been to Alaska and back to the East Coast.

Check EVERYTHING! Make sure you put on all the applicances and make sure they work to include the furnace. Check for those elusive leaks, check in the cabinets and around the windows for evidence of water. Run the AC with the generator. Check the water pump and all the batteries.

And lastly, have the engine checked thoroughly. Make sure that all repairs and services are documented.

Good luck and enjoy.
gdeterra is offline   Reply With Quote