Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, California
About to buy a A345!!

Hello All!

This my first thread on this forum!
I am about to get a A345 "officially" in very good condition, we will see about that, when I get there... Anyway, I never owned a MH, and was wondering what you guys with your experience would recommend checking on it beside the usual like coolant, oil level, hoses condition etc...
also anything of importance I should have on board such as a new fire extiguisher? It will go from TX to CA.

The guy tells me that everything that needed attention as been done and he has all the receipts.

I am very exited about it, but also a bit nervous: A whole new world for me! I have indeed be reading all sort of infos, forums etc regarding Airstream in general and MH in particular, but nothing comes close to experience!

Thank you all in advance for your help and input!
redynvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

very cool, AS MH's are great.
I would suggest you have a competent mechanic check it out if you are unable, a compression check and inspection of all running gear would be money well spent.
I would spend as much time as seller would give you being shown all systems functioning Refrig water waste furnace etc...
look everywhere for rust water damage skin damage rot or mold etc...
post here for avalibility of any broken missing parts as some are NLA
check windshiels and all glass for damage
check for odors
drive it at least 1/2 hour if you can, offer to pay for gas.
run generator whole time with A/c on
look at everything and ask for reciepts if available
dont slack on this inspection.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is the checklist I use when I am inspecting for a forum member. Please feel free to use it and welcome to the club!
Attached Files
File Type: doc motorhome checklist.doc (25.5 KB, 168 views)
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Even after you do a lot of checking, ignorance can be bliss. I drove mine home enjoying every minute, with too much air in the tires (hard ride), too little air in the air bags ( harder ride) and many other little errors, I learned to correct with experience. But, if the mechanicals are good, and systems work, and you are happy with the overall look as to condition...have a great trip! You will enjoy it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Get RV Emergency Towing service, if you haven't done so.
Once you get on the road, make frequent stops to inspect tires, fluids, compartment doors and awnings.
And 60 mph is a nice traveling speed in spite of what other drivers may think.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have to agree with Peter on the speed. Cruising a bit slower seems to be the "sweet spot" for these MHs although others out there routinely do 70+, I try to keep at 60 or below and enjoy the smooth ride. Be sure to carry spare fuses, distilled water for varied uses, extra hoses and belts, duct tape, bailing wire, and an assortment of tools. I have an emergency belt and an emergency hose repair kit from autozone that can to stand in for most broken belts or hoses until they can be replaced.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Wow, another 345 out there! Everyone here has said it already. Just be careful and alert. By the time you get home you'll have a list of to do's and you'll be more comfortable with the coach itself. Spend a lot of time in it before you make the purchase. Run everything and ask a lot of questions. But most of all - if it checks out OK - enjoy the heck out of your trip home with your new 345.

Make sure you post some pictures when you get back of your journey. (We live for that stuff)
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-79MH
Get RV Emergency Towing service, if you haven't done so.
Once you get on the road, make frequent stops to inspect tires, fluids, compartment doors and awnings.
And 60 mph is a nice traveling speed in spite of what other drivers may think.
(1) Make sure to get an RV Emergency Road Service like Coach-Net or Good Sam ERS (same as Camping World ERS). Towing an RV can be expensive and not all ERS plans cover everything (check the fine print).

(2) Don't speed. I drove too fast on my first trip and Peter NEVER let me forget it!!! Also, the engine runs cooler at 60 mph. Also, stopping takes longer than you are used to.

Enjoy.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
I got my 345 last year its a 1985,If yours is a a california couch then you dont have to worry about rust the only sign of rust on mine was the bottom of the battery compartment the rest is very clean like new.The rest of the body is like new the only sign of age is some of the clear coat peeling.The only concern will be the drive train, mine over heated even after the shop did a pressure test on the cooling sys.We have a new radiator now.At 65k I now have a new brakes all the way around including the tag electric.Still waiting for funds to do a new exhaust and maybe enhance the intake.the rest of the couch is all working fine.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

, California
Thank you all for your input!! I will upgrade my AAA membership before leaving, and will check the other other towing options too.

It said that this MH has only 9000 original miles on it!? and went trought an extensive refurbishing three years ago. If true, I guess I should be fine! I am booking my flight to TX this week! I hope to pick it up either next week end or the following one.

Any tip on what is the most interesting road to reach Southern CA? I am planning on being on the road for a good week... In case of unforseen issues, but also an exuse to enjoy the ride longer!

Thank you all again for th infos, and I will put pics as soon as possible.
redynvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
One thing to consider adding to your "Travel Bag" would be a product called CRC Tow Kool. (Water Wetter). You can buy it at Pep Boys or AutoZone. I used it last summer, based on ALANSD's recommendation and it lowered my coolant temp about 20 degrees. Our 454's already run hot (195+) so every little bit helps when you're making a trip through some of our "warmer but dryer" states.

One other overlooked, overheating thing to check; give the cooling system more than a once over. Don't forget that the heater hoses T off and run back to an aux heater under the couch and then again back to the water heater (under the rear dinette seat). At the aux heater they pass through the floor and wear out. Those heater hoses will eventually fail so make sure they don't fail on your return trip. To inspect simply open the couch doors and look with a flashlight. You can also see the bottom of thoses hoses by opening the LP gas door and shining your flashlight up.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Good Luck!!!

sure sounds sweet! not too much i can add that hasn't been said already. def look into coachnet, good sams as even the AAA upgrade may not be adequate. if you've got the time (and you will because now you won't be able to sleep), read as many threads in this forum as possible. and don't forget your vid/digital camera for both pdi and your maiden voyage. okay, good luck!!!
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote