Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Arrow

I'm the Fleet Manager for a local meat/seafood provisions company and also spend a good deal of time delivering for the same company. Over the years I've spent delivering goods to supermarkets, distributors, etc... I've seen things that would blow your mind. For the most part anyone that works in this field doesn't really give a rip about your package or goods, it's amazing. UPS does seem to be one of the worse I've ever seen. Do any of you remember the beginning to the Jim Carrey movie "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective" where he is dressed up as a IPS (UPS) delivery man and is totally thrashing a package. Well it's not too far from the real truth. If you've ever watched a UPS driver rooting through the contents of his truck to find the right package, or loading items on his dolly, it would disgust you. NO regard for anything. You could write Fragile on a package with bright orange spray paint and it wouldn't make a difference. They are only focused on one thing, getting the route done and getting home. Fex ex seems a little better about handling packages, and I've always had good luck using the good old USPS.

Lowell
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shipper trashing.

There are many types of experiences many of us have had, with a variety of shippers. Many good, some bad, or worse.

Part of the secret in dealing with theses companies, such as UPS, Fedex, Airborne (now DHL), and USPS, is how much money you spend with them each week.

UPS must now use Crawford and Company, to settle claims. Every single claim that is denied by them, states "improper packaging". What they don't know is that we had UPS check our packaging materials and methods and could not offer "ANY" improvement suggestions.

Therefore when we have a UPS shipment damaged, that Crawford denies, we simply contact our account rep, who comes out and approves the claim. Takes additional time to collect, but you will collect. Many years ago, we charged them $10.00 for every mistake they made, when they charged us for oversize boxes, when in fact, they were well below the 84 inch overall dimensions. They complained, and we said fine. We will go to court and resolve the issue!!!!! They in turn, gave us full credit for each of those $10.00 charges, "AND" paid all the claims "IN FULL".

Since that time, UPS has served us very well. "AND" in spite of Crawford, we have "NEVER" not been paid for a claim, in some 10 years.

Airborne, now DHL, on the otherhand, sometimes uses a contract center, which we in turn used.

The biggest problem with Airborne, was not delivering some air shipments on a timely basis. They (the contractor), always apologized and gave us credit for the difference, which we passed on to our customer.

The fun part started when DHL took over Airborne. Now all of a sudden, claims were denied, usually with the "improper packaging" comments. We had 3 claims, amounting to some $1500.00 dollars, with DHL that was at a stalemate.

We would not accept their offer of $100.00 for each of those three.

But, we did offer to sue them in small claims court. They said, "go ahead" as it will get you nothing more than we offered, because we have our DHL rules.

We then did indeed take them to small claims court. They had as their rep,
in court, one of their managers. I let my wife present our three cases and background on each of them. DHL objected because of their rules.

The judge, mopped the flloor with them, and stated when a shipper (us) packages an item or items, as well as Inland RV Center proved it has, and insures it for the full amount, per your (DHL) rules, you "WILL" pay the full amount of the claim. In three weeks, we had all of that money.

DHL's final comment was that there had to be some misunderstanding. Bull hockey, we were dealing with their claims manager. Needless to say, we no longer use DHL.

We have only had a couple of claims with USPS, over the years. They paid each of them accordingly.

Inland RV Center, strongly feels that packaging of course must be reasonably correct, with new boxes, usually double thickness, and certainly not used (which opens the door before you start). We also will not use "peanuts" but instead used "bubble wrap". That assures that the materials will not shift within the box.

All in all, over time, we cannot say it strong enough, to those that ship.

Use new materials, use excellent wrappings, document your position on every package, such as weight to the tenth of an ounce, use staples instead of tapes etc. Also we print the size of the package on every single label. That takes care of being charged oversize, when indeed the package is not.

Most importantly, document your position, and be firm and patient with your claims. It takes more time, but it has great rewards, namely, you get your money. When challenged, stand up and be heard. Deal with your account rep, or sue in small claims court.

The bottom line, I suppose, is we as a shipping company, must do our part as well or better than the actual shipper. With that philosophy, which we strive to follow, we have lost less than an average of $100.00 (one hundred) dollars, per year.

We think that's outstanding, when we ship better than one half million dollars worth of merchadise, per year.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

My case is weird as they have admitted to throwing the box away, but state that usually the item that is damaged is Green bagged and delivered and only in cases of absolute damage done on the part of UPS will they discard and item and do a report that states the damage and the packing materials sizes etc.. on a detailed report form.
In my case I have been told so far that they threw it away into a dumpster, and they have not report on the item other then the notation in the tracking that states Item damaged and thrown away.
I will be contacting them further on Monday to get answers, but have been given the run around so far and can be given no explanation so far as to WHY the package was thrown away as that I have been told is not the normal thing to do since if they would have bagged it and delivered it broken they they would have denied the claim stating improper packaging as the reason for damage.
By them throwing it out and NOT making a report it seems that they have no way to deny the claim, for which I should be thankfull, but I am really peeved by the fact that someone made a decision to toss my belongings without seeking my permission and this is OK?
I do not like anyone that I have not asked to do so making decisions for me, they were hired to deliver a package and should have done so even if they did break it on the way.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
richardt

I absolutely agree with you.

I would call them tomorrow and give them two choices.

1. Pay you within 7 working days.

2. If they disagree, then I would not waste any time in filing a small claims action.

Small claims courts are famous for being on the side of the consumer. However, make sure your homework, times, dates, places, is as complete as you can.

I think you would be very surprised, as to the positive outcome.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Ask if any of those UPS employees owns an Airstream motorhome. Amongst us, that glass is highly recognizable, if not readily identifiable by the packing slip. It may have been obscunded by a dishonest person. No records of tracking means anyone could have taken it. But hopefully my paranoia is unwarranted and they returned it to sender. Those dumpsters get emptied very quickly to still be there if it ever was. Could it be on their back porch?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

miami , Florida
Hi! I feel your Pain! If I had a Dime for everytime I have had a problem with UPS in the last 10 years, I could retire a wealthy man. I now try, if possible, to use Fed-X or thje USPS(these two aren't perfect but IMO much better then UPS). At times I have been on the Phone with the toll free Customer service No. up to 4 hours total in one day. Their service is absolutely atrocious. I could go on and on about them but my Blood Pressure Zooms just at the thought of them! What really bothers me is that they never can admit it when they make a mistake; its always the customers fault!
Mikeinmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
FedX delivery woes

I've just been through hell on a FedEx overnight package of insulin. Driver did not drop the box off to our front office (our delivery address), but instead came to the back of the convention center, found a guy driving a fork lift who accepted and signed for the package. Problem was the guy didn't work for us, (we still don't know who he was) and never sent the package up to the front office. I called FexEx and their response was that they have no policy to verify that a person signing for a package is either authorized or is an employee of the business. They got a signature and that's all that is required. So my response to them was so you see a person on the sidewalk and you deliver to them??? Their answer was well sir we have a signature so we consider the package delivered.

Luckly my mail order pharmacy refilled the prescription, although it will take a month to get me my credit for my initial expense. FexEx continues to state that the package was delivered.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

miami , Florida
By any Chance, was your Package labeled as Perishable Medicine? I'm surprised the Pharmacy shipped insulin un-refrigerated in the firt place as it could have been subjected(enroute) to heat rendering the Insulin in-effective.In all brochures/pharmacology books with/on this Medicine, they recommed it always be refrigerated.I see this daily in my work as a Nurse.
Mikeinmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I ship A LOT. I send out 900lbs worth of equipment sometimes daily. The value of the shipment around $40,000.

I have literally watched the UPS drivers ROLL boxes marked "Delicate electronics" off the truck onto the doc. The boxes were so beat up only the tape was holding them together. Only $8000 piece of equipment in it that was totaled. I told the company sending it to NEVER ship my equipment UPS ever again. They didn't listen and lost over $100,000 worth of business from me in the last 6 months from that and a long turn around. I feel that strongly about how bad UPS treats packages. We are self insured because of how expensive the stuff is that I deal with. We cant even get insurance at a reasonable cost through UPS. When its destroyed we just have to eat it.

I long ago stopped using UPS because of the rampant theft of product coming through the Atlanta Hub and how the packages were destroyed. My company actually had policy for a while not to use them because of the problem.

Fedex is better but when ever possible I ship freight. I vary rarely have damaged large packages that are moved with a forklift. Cost more but when I am shipping 10 $4000 parts at a time its worth it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
My sister ordered an item from a well known company and when it did not arrive within a reasonable time she contacted them. They said it was sent UPS. She contacted UPS and found that it had been delivered but not to her address on the package. Documentation showed that the driver wrote down it was delivered to a different address which turned out to be a vacant lot. Hmmmmm.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Interesting comments regarding UPS. We have had two packages delivered by UPS to the wrong addresses recently. UPS was NOT very helpful and I wound up tracking down (with a little common sense) both packages by myself. Ugh!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Richard, that is a very sad story I do feel bad for you.
Windows, windows, windows, I am becoming obsessed by the very sound of that word. Those who have not read my post on Side and Fixed Windoow Re-pair, I am tempting to assemble all the parts that go with the side slider and fixed windows. I decided to take on the window locks while I was at it. What we have is a poorly designed lock which I doubt operated smoothly even when it was new. I personally use wooden dowels cut to length. However, soon my windows will have all new parts and no air leaks. I want new locks. I have been searching the net and have made some inquiries on different locks that we may be able to use.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

This is an old thread.
I had about forgotten about this event.

I do have if anyone needs the 2 fixed pieces of glass for the front drivers and passengers windows of an Airstream motorhome.
As you can read above - I do not have any sliding glass.
Fortunatly my motorhome has good glass. (Knock wood)
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinmiami
By any Chance, was your Package labeled as Perishable Medicine? I'm surprised the Pharmacy shipped insulin un-refrigerated in the firt place as it could have been subjected(enroute) to heat rendering the Insulin in-effective.In all brochures/pharmacology books with/on this Medicine, they recommed it always be refrigerated.I see this daily in my work as a Nurse.
Nope it was labeled as such, packed in a cold pack box, Styrofoam insides 4 cold packs inside. Delivery was scheduled overnight. We have gotten them before and the cold packs in all cases are still frozen. The pharmacy does a good job in protecting the insulin and paying for overnight delivery. I'm just shocked at the FedEx attitude that getting a signer is their only responsibility. Especially when they get a guy on a fork lift to take a package. Unbelievable in my estimation.

I just hope that the fool who took this stuff doesn't try injecting it. He won't be driving that fork lift for long.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I just hope that the fool who took this stuff doesn't try injecting it. He won't be driving that fork lift for long.

Jack
Jack, maybe that's why no one has seen the guy since...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
About two months ago UPS dropped $22,575 worth of semi-automatic pistols outside on the loading dock of my department because somebody (not my employee), who happened to be on thier way out the door on their way to lunch, signed for it. Fortunately, per manufacturers policy, the boxes were nondescript, and only contained the initials of the company on the return address label. When I got the message that there was two boxes on the loading dock addressed to me, I was as far away from my office as possible and still be in-state. I knew what they were and, needless to say, it was a tense 30 minutes before I could find someone to get them in a secure location.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #37
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you submit a claim....

A few years ago we submitted a claim for a UPS package we never recieved (they said they left it by the front door). The package was replaced, but for the next year they would not leave anything with out getting a signature. This meant a trip to downtown Phoenix everytime someone sent something UPS, what a pain in the rear!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote