Old 07-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
A 396 in our future?

After 8 happy years with our 2005 Int'l CCD 25 foot trailer, using it 6 to 8 months a year, we are being dazzled by the class A luxe as we plan to full time for two or three years. Just attended an Escapee Escapade so the FT juices are flowing! Among the 70 units that Paul Evert brought to sell at the rally, was a 2007 Airstream Motorhome with 31,000 miles for sale. Not the sparkle of the newer coaches offered, but it says Airstream on it and we can take some more caravans with WBCCI, which we love.

Thoughts on going from a 25 CCD to a Mo/ho for full time living?

Thoughts on the 2007 396 XL?

Asking price was $149,000 but I know that is off the chart. Also aware that tires are nearly 8 years old. All factored in on what I might offer.

Thanks!

Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Have you factored in a toad, min 15k plus setup 3k? unless the gmc be towed but more than you need for a toad.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ble-96384.html

Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Yeah on the toad....no, we won't be towing the GMC.

Thanks....any insight on the trailer vs Moho? Plus Airstream Moho at 6 or 7 years old versus a newer sob?
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If you get the right 396. that has been well cared for, you will not be disappointed.

Check out the Class A section here on the AF or use the search to find out some more specific information for that model.

Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes - Airstream Forums

Given the fact that 'Airstream' management are not really interested in Class A production at the moment, it is my understanding that the factory is still happy to support the units back to 97 or 98. Earlier years/versions they do not seem to have on the computer for easy pull up of information.

What your are looking at is on a Freightliner Chassis and can be serviced/repaired at thousands of locations worldwide.

Go for it if you can make a deal you can live with.

We have one of the early quality Class A's on raised rail chassis that Airstream produced and at the time it was largest, longest, highest GVWR, most powerful with largest basement, ever produced by Airstream. Time has left us a bit behind, but the quality of the product has proved to be genuine, and we expect to get many more years of enjoyment from our CLIPPER.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070520135373.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	190282   Click image for larger version

Name:	070520135357.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	190283  

Click image for larger version

Name:	070520135352.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	190284   Click image for larger version

Name:	070520135356.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	190285  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodrver View Post
Yeah on the toad....no, we won't be towing the GMC.

Thanks....any insight on the trailer vs Moho? Plus Airstream Moho at 6 or 7 years old versus a newer sob?
Never pulled a trailer, have had MH's for 50 yrs, built first one, then found it easier to let someone else do it and also someone else to take the depreciation hit.

NO warranty. Tires have 8 years according to Michelins own numbers. Yes it is an AS but they only assemble the parts, on somebodies chassis. They do use quality parts, and if you are lucky the assemblers did a good job. They do a much better job with the trailers, look at the numbers produced, don't get the first one or the last, learning curve and leftover parts.
My chassis is two years older than the coach by Chevy vin number and AS numbers. So your MH tires could be out of time.

Depends on storage conditions for everything else, no matter whose brand you choose. Who did the maintaining and are records available.
I doubt that there is a well maintained diesel pusher that has been worn out due to miles driven.
Don't buy to the limit of your budget, keep back enough in reserve to cover what a warranty would have in a new unit, and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Thanks all. Just the feedback we wanted. We won't shy away from the '07, and good to hear that AS motorhomes are good for the long haul.

Just hard to turn your back on the glitz of the new ones...4 slides and latest 3 way cameras, HD TV, etc., etc.

We may try to do a deal on the one we saw. It is now heading for Oregon and we are headed for Canada for a caravan, so time to ponder the decision.

Appreciate all your comments and welcome more too...love the forum. Thanks also for the other threads...I will definitely check them too.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
As part of the negotiating add an extended warranty. I did on my 396 purchase in March of this year and have an extended warranty with Protective Asset Protection - Xtra Ride.

Here are some points to consider;

Storage - where are you going to keep it when you get it home. These things are big and you don't want to keep them sitting out in the open. You need an enclosed quality storage spot.

Chassis maintenance - as mentioned this is a Freightliner chassis built in Gaffney SC. Ask if there are service records available. Even a low mileage unit would have needed the required service such as fluid change, filters belts etc. Take it to a Freightliner shop and hve them check it over. If you can get it over to Gaffney that would be even better and run it through their shop.
Freightliner Motorhome Chassis

Generator - this unit has a great generator on board and needs to be run under load on a regular basis. Check the hours run, there is a gauge in the galley area of the coach. Low hours is not necessary good. You will need to have this serviced as well.

Converter/Inverter - have this checked to make sure it is functioning properly and check the condition of your "house" and "chassis" batteries.

Tires - as indicated old tires look may still good but should be replaced. You don't want a tire failure driving down the road.

I love mine and still have my 1976 31' Sovereign and enjoy both. Get a good price I think you should find that this is a buyers market. Good luck
Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Great ideas Don. Probably need to run it through a Freightliner dealer before saying "I Do.". At minimum a careful look at the service records.

Dd you buy your 396 at a dealer or PP?

Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride