Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
'86 Samurai gear selection

A lot of different opinions from mechanics....and I'm now confused.

1986 Suzuki Samurai with 4WD, manual hubs, manual 5 speed tranny.

I understand the hubs should always be in the free or "unlock" position. But....transfer case in neutral....tranny in 2nd...or 4th? Or....both transfer and tranny in neutral with stopping every 200 miles to start and run the Samurai through the gears and splash the fluid around. That sounds like a pain, but I hear stories about ripping apart transmissions and/or engines if either shift "slips" into gear.

Any experiences to share? What are the chances of the transfer case slipping from neutral into 2wd, 4wd, etc.? How can that happen....from hitting a bump?? Surely the transfer selector can't be that sensitive....or could it?

Would appreciate all help....

Thanks,

Jeff
jwisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Read owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisland View Post
A lot of different opinions from mechanics....and I'm now confused.

1986 Suzuki Samurai with 4WD, manual hubs, manual 5 speed tranny.

I understand the hubs should always be in the free or "unlock" position. But....transfer case in neutral....tranny in 2nd...or 4th? Or....both transfer and tranny in neutral with stopping every 200 miles to start and run the Samurai through the gears and splash the fluid around. That sounds like a pain, but I hear stories about ripping apart transmissions and/or engines if either shift "slips" into gear.

Any experiences to share? What are the chances of the transfer case slipping from neutral into 2wd, 4wd, etc.? How can that happen....from hitting a bump?? Surely the transfer selector can't be that sensitive....or could it?

Would appreciate all help....

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi, with my 1978 Jeep CJ-5, to tow it I would unlock the front hubs, put the manual transmission in neutral, and the manual transfer case in neutral. Unless you have something heavy hanging on the shift levers, leaning on them, or falling on them it would be vertually impossible for the trans or transfer case to shift on it's own. Also you might need to unlock your steering wheel if it is lockable. You still need to refer to your vehicle's owner's manual for exact recommendations on your Samurai.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Don't know much about the Sami...on our old Wagoneer the hubs were locked whenever it was snow'n.
Long stretches without using 4wd.... it's a good idea to lock 'em up and splash things around a bit, in and out with the t-case won't hurt either...just no sharp turns, or wait 10min 'til it rains.

If it's a toad... I would think it would be best for everything to be in neutral with the hubs unlocked while toad'n. Others may have better recomendations.

I would say, if the transfer case jumps around....sump'n rong.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure how this relates to our Airstream, but we have a Samurai too. We flat-towed it 2000 miles last year with transmission and transfer case both in neutral, hubs unlocked, and ignition key in accessory position to unlock the steering. No problem, but your paint and windshield will catch some gravel.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
It sounds like neutral/neutral is the way to go. Bob, didn't think about the hubs....now I am. Since I bought this for store runs away from the campgrounds, I'll just give them some work evry now and then. Dkottum, yes.....I've been trying to decide on a vehicle mounted deflector or a "mud brush" for the Land Yacht. The full width brushes are cheaper, but man are they ugly!

Jeff
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
aH hA! We've got some experience on this one! The transmission needs to be in-gear, the transfercase in neutral and the hubs unlocked...

Wanna know how I know?

5:00pm traffic, the loop around Houston is when my Sammi' (being towed behind our Class A) decided to lock the transmission in third.

I was towing with the transfer case in 2wd high and the transmission in Neutral. The transmission will not self lube when towed, and in my instance, the 3rd gear bushing seized to the shaft. Yes a Sammi can slow down a 12,000 lb RV.... I bet the poor little 1.3 liter sammi engine musta hit 7,000 rpm when that happened...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Ouch! I've heard the reverse happening with the transfer case engaging. Now what? I'm still thinking a "start and run" every few hundred miles is the safest, or is ANY mileage on the tranny without lube bad for "Sammi"?

Jeff
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Ouch! I've heard the reverse happening with the transfer case engaging. Now what? I'm still thinking a "start and run" every few hundred miles is the safest, or is ANY mileage on the tranny without lube bad for "Sammi"?

Jeff
If you have the hubs unlocked or locked , the transfer case in neutral, and the transmission in neutral, it seems to me that both the transmission and transfer case would have to jump out of neutral before any real damage was done as long as you checked it at each stop. The hubs should be unlocked always unless you are anticipating driving in 4 wheel drive. This saves wear and tear on the front differential and to some degree the the transfer case. I am thinking the best solution would be to have locking hubs on front and rear if such a thing was available for the Samurai.
regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
I've been trying to decide on a vehicle mounted deflector or a "mud brush" for the Land Yacht. The full width brushes are cheaper, but man are they ugly!

Jeff
Jeff,

Not really THAT ugly....available for MH too.

They work great for us....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOWTECTOR 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	94225  
Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Ken, I've decided to err on the side of safety and check the Suzuki at my 3 hour rest periods. Check the shift levers and cycle the toad through the gears.

Bob, I stand corrected. Yours looks great. Anyone have any idea where I would bolt a full across mud brush on my LY 30 that doesn't have a rear bumper, and who might make that? Part of it could be attached to my Reese hitch.....but the outer bands?

Jeff
Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's more, I would go with the owner's manual:

Towing a Suzuki Samurai - Expedition Portal Forum
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
dkottum, thanks for the info. I'm headed out on a test "tow" tomorrow......will see if any problems develop. I'm starting with the neutral/neutral.......then I'll change to tranny 2nd/transfer neutral after 50 miles or so. I'll stop often to check both.

Jeff
SMI Duo braking
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I was told by the original owner to tow with both in neutral, as that's how he did it. Apparently that is not the advice of the owner's manual, which is tranny 2nd/transfer neutral, according to other posts. Best to follow owner's manual. Be sure to unlock the steering at the ignition switch.

These are great little vehicles off the beaten path and as small town runabout. Dangerous at highway speeds in modern traffic conditions.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
I've learned not to trust the owner's manual......this advice is from a Suzuki dealer mechanic! He says neutral/neutral.......and the 200 mile "stop and lube" is overkill. "These Samurais are downright towable! If you don't run it through the gears after 300 miles and an overnight....no problem.....do it the next night."

I had all the cases flushed today and new fluid put in....along with every lube point greased. I'll keep on eye on it, but the mechanic said I'm ready to go. "Your drivetrain is in excellent condition, and with the new fluids and lube you had done, this toad will give you NO problems."

You're right about the vehicle. I feel as if a motorcycle could crush me. That's okay....it's for small towns and supermarkets. Although....look out forest roads! She's tiny, but strong in 4WD.

Jeff
SMI Duo braking
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The transfer case is designed so the lower internal shaft is the one that turns when you tow it. That means it's spinning in the lube, transfering oil to all of the gears. The transmission is backwards. The output shaft, the one that turns when it's towed in neutral, is on top. It does NOT rotate in the oil. It only lubes when the input shaft, the one that goes to the engine, is turning.

I towed many, many miles with no problem but on a long haul, Jackson MS to Houston TX, it finally had enough. I suppose if I stopped every 100 miles or so and started the engine, let out on the clutch in neutral to spin the lower transmission shaft, I would have been ok.

From then on I towed with the xfer in neutral, transmission in 4th. The reason I didn't use 2nd or 3rd as recommended in the owners manual...I figure if the transfer case jumped in gear I'd much rather the poor ole 1.3 Liter would tolerate the highway speed 4th gear rpms better than the 2nd gear rpms
Loved my Samurai, accidentially sold it last may...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Vernon,

This cute little rig would be screaming in 4th at 60 mph......how about 5th? In case I don't feel her in gear behind me? She's so light I'm not sure I'd notice if the transfer went into gear........unless I saw smoke or pistons flying out the engine from my side mirrors. Now THAT would tell me to PULL OVER!

Is the "lube factor" really that serious if I'm checking it every night...or 300 miles?

Jeff
SMI Duo braking

Tags
gear, samurai, suzuki, tow, transfer