Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #61
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
progress

Well I got a new water shut off valve (thanks to Glen and all who pushed me ) I'm glad I went with a new valve. I didn't have anything to judge my old valve up against. I thought that since it freed up with wd40 that it would be good enough....but after getting the new valve I can see it would not have worked...at least not as well as the new valve. For anyone comtemplating working on your heat....new valve is the only way to go. I think the new valve was less than 20 dollars with shipping. Anyway....I got the new valve installed and the heater core back in. Removal and re install on the heater core is pretty straight forward. Today I am working on reinstalling the right hand portion of the dash. Only problem so far is that the plastic fittings that the skat hose hooks up to is so brittle. I've had to manufacture a couple out of aluminum sheet. For the air condition and the defrost there are 10 hoses for air....get all that crammed under the dash there will be little room left over.
Took my rear broken window to a auto glass shop.... they had no problem with being able to fix it. I wanted tempered glass installed....I was supprised to learn that they install the glass there then send it out to be tempered. Should have it back in 10 days.
We got a dusting of snow today....next week it is suppose to get into the 60s....with that heat wave I'll be able to hit it hard.
Wife took the camera to Indiana so I'll have to wait on pictures to post.

Have a great day
Charles
Old 02-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #62
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Switches

On my 78 Argosy MH I have a row of toggle switches on the lower left instrument panel. One of those switches is marked Auxillary. Can anyone tell me what this switch is for?
Thanks
Charles
Old 02-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Extra switch?? Do you have one labeled Aux. Heater? I have the aux heater option with the heater coil / fan below the passenger seat blowing back into the coach.

BTW what happened to the sink post? I got the post but never saw it here?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #64
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Sink

No I don't have the aux heater. This switch is wired up but the toggle is broken off. I'm ready to start installing that portion of the dash. I'm replacing all four of these switches but thought it would be nice to know what this aux switch does. Maybe it's purpose will show up once I get the panel back together.
I'm not real sure what happen to the sink post. I've been having a little trouble posting picture....sometimes I can do it then other times I can't. I'm almost done with the sink project....have a bit more to do with hooking up the drain. Just need a new part....which I haven't had time to go get. When they made this MH they installed all the drain plumming with solid connections....and of course my sink doesn't quite line up with their drain. No big problem...just got to buy another part. I'll try posting a picture when the wife gets back from Indiana with the camera.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Custer Park , Illinois
Smile Wires? I have All Manuals

I just read your post(s). We also just bought an Argosy 28'! Although ours in mint condition (although completely outdated 70's fasion) We plan to redo the interior - lime green is just not our style- but we will do it in such a way that it will not be destroyed in case future owner wants to gp original. All the components appliances, switches and wiring works and is in original condition so, if you need photos of a place or a part to know 'how it was' or how it should be - I would be happy to help. Also, I have ALL the original manuals down to how the oven works and a recipe book for 'cooking on the road' I could have any of them copied for you - let me know what you need and I can get a cost from Staples to copy and bind. Good luck with your project. We just love our 'Betsy' she may be alittle outdated but they just don't make them like they used to - she makes the newer RVs we looked seem like milk cartons on wheels. These are just such solid vehicles. What kind of Gas mileage did you get traveling? Did you use Premium grade. The man who owned ours previously said they run better and get better milage on Premium.
betsy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Betsy28, welcome to the forums! We're glad you're here. We'd love to see you start a thread with your photos of the Argo. How many miles on yours?
We also would love to hear how you found her.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Hello on my 77 argosy that switch turns on the storage compartment lights . gen , sewer , shore power. and storage.
Bob
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #68
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
forum back up and running

YIIIPPPIIII....so nice to have the forum back up and running...I've missed all of you.
Welcome to the forum Betsy..... What good news to see the forum back up and someone offering manuals. I would just love to get a copy of a maintenance manual for the 28ft argosy. I have the owners manual and that doesn't do much good for restoring work. I need a manual that has wiring diagram and how to do things. If you have such a manual let me know what the cost would be. Thanks for offering to copy it.
Bob I bet that is what my aux switch goes to because none of those lights work on my RV.
As far as my refurb project...I've made some progress. Finally ....after trying to repair water leaks...piece meal style....I bit the bullet and replaced all water lines and valves from the kitchen sink back to the bathroom sink. I used a system called FEX (I think). This system is so very simple to use. You just put it together like tinker toys, I install 15 to 20 fittings and didn't have one leaker in the bunch. In the process I found that my water heater tank had a hole in it...so out came the water heater. I took it to a welding shop and they said if I would bring in the patch material (aluminum) they could TIG weld it. I also found a "junk" yard that has many (rather new) trailers that have been in accidents. This place has water heaters that he would sell for $200...for the complete heater. So I haven't made up my mind which way to go yet. I did learn one thing....only way to take the water heater out is from the outside of the RV. Screws around the door panel come out and whole heater comes out. I didn't do it that way...but I will reinstall it that way.
Looking forward to hearing from all of you again.
Charles and Nancee

I just have to try a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	33832  
Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #69
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Refurb

Well after replacing all the water lines from the kitchen sink back to the rear bath....I thought I had all leaks fixed....only thing I should have done before putting everything back together....completely fill the water tank!!!!! I didn't do this. So it's all back together and I filled the tank.... a leak started leaking right at the rear of the lleft rear wheel well. Haven't started looking yet but I just know it's the tank. Anyone taken the tank out....hows best way to do it....any tips? Has anyone repaired a leaking tank... I understand they can be repaired.

charles
Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #70
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
water tank

Got the tank out....pretty simple task....found the tank to be leaking at a crack around the filler neck. It's been leaking at this point for some time judging from the amount of damage to the wood under the tank. I will splice in a piece of treated plywood and then attempt a repair on the tank. Had several people say a repair is not worth the effort....but replacing without at least trying to repair is against my nature.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	34022  
Old 03-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Congratulations on making such good progress. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Keep up the good work, and show us some more pictures.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
Wow....welcome to the wonderful world of "Argosy" Airstreams.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #73
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Water tank

I have the water tank setting in my computer room in the house....waiting for the repair gunk I put on it to dry. It's been drying for two days now...not sure it should take so long to set up. The stuff I used is a marine type sealent and it says on the tube it can take 24 hours to set up....it's been about 36 so far. The flooring under the tank was almost completely rotted away.... I took most of it out with just my hands. One thing I liked about this RV was how solid the wood floor was throughout the coach.... I just know this rotted wood under the tank has been that way for a long time.... maybe a leak there since new. I repaired the damage by splicing in a 2X4 section of treated inch plywood.
Charles
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Rockford , Michigan
hello to all........ I recently purchased a 78 28' argosy coach and just found this site.... many of the of the problems that you have already faced I will be looking at in the near future .... so thank you for blazing the trail. could you please reply with the part number or what ever you used to order the temp control valve..... mine someone just removed it and the heat is on full all the time...... thank you to all ........
78 argosy mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #75
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Heater shut off valve

Welcome to the Forums.....you'll find all kinds of help here...just ask a question and you'll get several repplies.
The heater shut off valve that I used I got from Millsupply.com . If you will go to that site ....click on heater parts....then select valves. I used selection H....P/N 54-551. if your valve is a Pull To Close valve thats the one to get. They do have a Push To Close valve so make sure you order the right one. I would guess that you have the Pull To Close one. The cost was 16.16 plus about 5 for shipping.
Good luck in your restore....post some pictures if you can
Charles
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
78 Argo..MI, are you sure somebody removed the valve? Have you followed the control cable from the temp selector to the engine area? The valve can be on a hose above the engine or over by the heater area in front of the passenger side.
Best of luck with your new 28'er. We're looking to see photo's of the new to you Arogosy.
Welcome to the forums and don't forget that a lot of what you'll be looking for is also found on the Airstream Motorhome side of this forum too. Use the search feature and find soooooooo...much to read.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #77
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
New Carpet

Got the water tank back in and it seems to be ok...no leaks. Put new carpet in the bedroom and bath area. Did I ever get a good deal on the carpet. Went to Lowes and they had a little bit of carpet left on a roll...I ask what they would take for it and I got it for 3 dollars. It was exactly enough to do the bedroom and bath with just little pieces left over. When they rang it up at the cash register it showed the real price to be around $30....I got it for $3.
Charles
Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #78
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Picture

I think I have finally figured out how to post pictures...this is picture of the carpet
Charles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0795.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	34262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	34263  

Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #79
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is the recap Fred Metioned:

Check these threads:

The Adventures of Brett and Edie part I

Part II

Part III
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #80
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Newkid

I had read parts of this previously but read the complete article just now....WOW.... makes me understand that my little experience hardly counts as an experience....LOL.
I worked yesterday on the dents I have in the rear of my Argosy. I posted pictures of these some time ago (one of those days when a picture would post) and at that time I was in doubt as to if I would ever get them out....well yesterday I renewed my efforts with the slide hammer. After drilling several holes in the deep parts of the dents.... they just popped out....took some muscle power....but out they came. All that's left is some minor dents which I will fill with Bondo. Even without bondo....if you were to follow me in a car....the dents are hard to see now. I'm more than happy how that turned out. One thing I should caution about....when drilling the holes....wrap tape around the drill bit so it is limited how far in it will go....otherwise it drills right on through the shower liner....happened once to me. Filled that hole in the liner with a pop rivet....the wife never found out about it....LOL
Have a great "restoring day"
Charles