Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #29
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Dash

What a great job you did....total hours...how many do you think it took to do all that? What thickness of wood did you use? My problem is that the plastic behind my metal dash is so brittle...it cracks at the slightest touch. I'm giving some thought to trying to do a fiber glass repair to it. Of course that means taking every thing out. It will be awhile before I tear into the dash ....too cold now....plus I have many many other project to do right now.
Got my over the sink lights working and all back together. Taking the plastic light lense down without breaking them was a major concern......so before putting them back in I took the lense to my table sander and sanded off some of the lip around the lense.....still a bit hard to get them back in but lots easier than they came out.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Charles, before you get too deep in your dash you might want to just replace it completely. Do as Chaplin Kent did and come up with a replacement panel but then take it a step further and go digital.... check out Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 and search digital dash for more than just one maker of great replacement panels. Add in your favorite lighted toggle switches and you're stylin'. Check Norsgog as I know at least one panel they sold had all but the fuel sender included.... I just picked this one 'cause it was aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cyb-d014e060y_w.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	31862  

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

I have a 77 argosy and if those wires are above the sink I have gauges there battery gauge holding tank gauges grey and black water propane level light that shows weather your plugged in and also I can start and stop my generator from the panel
Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
gauges

Thanks Glen for the tip....but I bet those would cost over a 1000....I'm on a budget....or maybe I hadn't mentioned that...LOL. I actually think I'm starting to get in the know about restoring these old classics....1st rule...think of it as monopoly money.
Irwin.....Yes I have thatn panel as well. I finally figured out where all the wires went to....they all went to the two light assemblies that are above the sink. Got them all hooked up....fingers are crossed for them being connected correctly...and the lights now work on bright and dim....so that's one mystery solved.
Charles
Old 02-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Charles, you have to follow the links.... that panel was $459.00

Now try this for a look at what your panel could be. This is on eBay right now and is up in Alaska... and it's an Argo!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	digitaldash.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	31883  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #34
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
bulbs

I worked almost the complete day today just replacing 12 volt bulbs. What would cause so many bulbs to burn out....could age do that....due to age and the RV setting in AZ so long...could that cause bulbs to become brittle. Some of the outside clearence lights I had to change the complete assembly because the plastic was so brittle I could not even remove the bulb with out it crumbling in my hand. It's hard to believe that there was somekind of overvoltage event because some lamps are not burnt out. Like....maybe every other clearence light. I quit counting but I bet I've replace more than half of the 12 volt bulbs.
Charles
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have a 78 Argosy 24ft trailer. When I got it a lot of the running lights and most of the inside 12V were not working consistently. I ordered all new complete outside lights and replaced all the ceiling lights with new sets. The under cabinet lights and bathroom light worked and are still working. I at first replaced just the bulbs in the running lights and cleaned the trailer really, really well. Of course on our first trip out all the light lenses blew off. Guess I washed too well. So in the long run, replacing the outside lights was a "have to" option. Finally got everything working. It's a work and learn process with these old classics. Some other things I've tried have had to be done again in a better way, but it's been a fun ride and I wouldn't trade this old Argosy for a brand new AS. They grow on you.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Charles, if you had asked we'd have suggested that you look at LED replacements for your running lights.... the whole assembly is than $7 and as low as $5 if you shop around.
Let us know what you're going to work on next so we can help save you "reinventing the wheel" so to speak....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #37
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Well Glen...my next project is my bathroom sink. The sink that was in the RV was a complete loss....looked like someone tried to cook a meal in it....anyway....I have my eye on a sink and cabinet base at Lowe's for $78 and it is just exactly the perfect dimensions...will sit right down in the hole without fuss. It will be a few pounds heavier....maybe 5....but I'm not concerned about that.
Has anyone given thought to someway or other installing a second house battery. My battery case has just enough room for two batteries....the house battery and the start battery. I'd like to have two house batteries....any thoughts???
Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Charles, is the cabinet a loss too? The sink could be replaced likely with less effort. Also a consideration is the bowl size in our units. I've wondered about replacing mine with a bigger bowl sink as I don't have a galley sink in my rig. Bottom line is that if you don't have to rip out the cabinet you might get by quicker and cheaper with a new sink bowl.
My batteries, 2 coach 1 starter, are located in a drawer hung below the floor behind the driver side front wheel. Where are yours located? Depending on your skill level you might find an Airstream hull in one of the salvage yards with a battery drawer you could install in your rig. This would free up the area where the battery now resides.
Also consider that if you are joining two house batteries I believe they should be a matched pair.
Are we having fun yet?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #39
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Batteries

My batteries are located in an outside compartment just behind the left front wheel. There is just enough room for two batteries...one start one house. My house battery is a NiCad but I would like to have two of them. Before I left PHX the guys at Dillons tried to sell me a house battery. They said because of the limited space...the only battery I could get would cost 350 dollars. For the type of RVing I plan to do one battery probably would be enough.
I didn't get to the sink task today.....worked most of the day on removing the dash. I emailed the guy that has the Argosy on ebay that has the digital dash. He said the work was done by the PO and the documentation was in the RV in Alaska and he is in PHX now....so he said sorry he could not help me. I'm not real sure what I plan to do with the dash....I just know that the old one had to come out due to cracks. I'll try to post some pictures of the mess.... I'm thinking of taking the dash to a local speed shop to see if they can make one. What I would really like to do is make one myself....and I haven't given up on that yet either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	32001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	32002  

Name:	IMG_0674.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	32003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	32004  

Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #40
Rivet Master

ours has two coach batteries in an outside access to the left of the driver's seat. we have one starting battery in the outside basement storage behind the left front wheel, plenty of room for two batteries if I really needed to crank the 454.
Does your MH have outside basement storage?
Under our MH, the outside basement storage compartments stop about 10" short of the frame rails, so I extended a couple of them and made additional storage cabinets where the factory didn't make them. Can't have too much storage space.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
san diego , California
Battery Compartment

tn2

Your battery compartment should hold 2 group 24 deep cells.
I moved the starting battery to a frame built behind the right front bumper area to hold the standard type battery case.
It is a short run to the starter. I also used an Optima starting battery since it would be a pain to regularly monitor the starting battery in that location. I would carefully measure the batteries for the compartment because the fit is tight.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Batteries

Those are good ideas for placement of another battery....I had not thought of my basement storage. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the space behind rt bumper. The battery project will probably be put off until spring....so many other things to do....but thanks for the ideas.