Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Williamston , South Carolina
30'/1996 Land Yacht Purchase ???

I am considering purchasing a 1996 30' Land Yacht M.H. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what problems were common with that year coach? It has a chevy 454 motor with a little over 30K miles. It has been lived in more than driven, which may give me problems with the motor/seals, etc. I will not buy it until I have a manchanic check that part out. I have always had Holiday Rambler T.T. I have a big concern with the fiberglass body and delamination than can happen. Anyone getting over 6 or 7 miles per gallon? Also, any info on a car that I can tow 4 down under 3000# that is not to old would help too. I am a retired, older camper, and my wife and I feel a M.H. would be better for us to travel in. Any info would be very much appreciated. I know this forum is made up of mostly T.T. campers. I hope there are enough M.H. campers out there to give us some advise. Thank you.
Hoo-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
quote=Hoo-boo;671413]I am considering purchasing a 1996 30' Land
Yacht M.H.
30K miles
fiberglass body and delamination
Anyone getting over 6 or 7 mpg.
tow 4 down under 3000# that is not to old would help too. Thank you.[/quote]
Finally started to explore more of this forums postings, been busy doing the repairs and upgrades to a 2000 30 LY I purchased 5 months ago.

You must have done your homework, as you are looking for a car to tow that would be within the specs AS puts on it's towing capacity. So many seem to look at the tow bar installed and say that is the weight to tow. Mine shows 4000 others 5000.
Delamination would be a MH by MH problem, conditions of leaking and outside storage.
9-10 avg mpg, 6 or 7 something is wrong.
MH national avg is 4K per year, so 30 is a little low, I would be concerned with belts, hoses and sparkplug wires and any wires exposed to squirrels or mice.
Good Luck and be ready to do some work,
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Williamston , South Carolina
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding to my questions.

We drove to Central Florida to see the M.H. It was not at all like described. It was a reck inside. It only had 30K miles on it. I think it had been lived in for a long period of time, would be my guess. So we are still looking. We don't need one until Jan. as we hope to stay in Florida for a few months this winter.

We lived in New Port Richey, Fla. for 35 years before moving to So. Carolina, a little over three years ago. I retired from a company in Tampa. Its a small world.

Your rig looks like one I saw for sale on the net. Really nice looking. Best of luck with it.

I am new to the forum, but if you ever have any info you want to share with me or think of something I should be looking for in my search for a M.H. you can always email me at lyle1719@charter.net

Thanks again for responding.

Lyle
Hoo-boo is offline   Reply With Quote