Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Question 1996 Land Yacht shower vent

I need to replace the motorized vent in the shower in a motorhome we just purchased.Anyone know where you can find these??? Also we purchased "the money pit from hell"Where can you find an honest technician that could advise us . We would prefer to do our own repairs. ,but need directions??
eedeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
This forum has expert technicians but the pay is so low that you have to lay out the problem with exactly what you need advice on. Replacing parts the high priced techs do all the time at 100 per hour. Techs here like to repair or fix without replacing if possible.
Non working fan could be a fuse, bad wire connection, faulty switch, burned out motor, too much dust in the bearings, or jammed fan from mud dubber wasps. Or a simple push on the bar that opens the vent.
Descriptions are good but a picture is easier to see.
Do a search using the google dropdown menu.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Most fans are also protected with a "thermal fuse" which is taped to the body of the fan motor. it looks like a small capacitor with axial leads on each end. When the fan motor overheats this fuse blows removing power from the motor, this is a safety feature to prevent the motor from starting a fire and resulting consequences. Getting a replacement is a problem.

Regards

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
I bought a replacement from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00407...f=ya_aw_oh_pit

I'll be installing it this weekend. I know parts are available for this fan, but the cost of the parts alone far exceed the cost of a new unit.

I'll also be replacing the 14" fan over the toilet, as well as the fridge vent too.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote