Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1975 31' Sovereign
Powassan , Ontario
1987 Airstream Bus

Hi, We;re the new owners of 1987 Airstream Executive Bus that we'd like to convert to a motorhome and were hoping there'd be others out there who own one of these? Seems hard to find others...

Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Pictures please...
That sounds interesting.
Welcome to the forums!
How long?
What motor?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Those were a special order item, not unlike the Funeral coaches which Airstream also built. Seems a great empty canvas for creating the motorhome of your dreams. We do love photos here...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Just googled it....Lots of pics, including one of the funeral bus you mentioned....

https://www.google.com/search?q=1987...=1299&bih=1223
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1975 31' Sovereign
Powassan , Ontario
1987 Airstream Bus

Here's some pics; its a 30 footer, dont have a lot of the specs in front of me but looking forward to an interior refurb task. Toilet and sink, small kitchen, but no shower, no bedroom; just lots of comfy chairs! I guess mainly used as a shuttle bus. On the 2 hour drive home there was a hiss coming from the rear? Any ideas? This is our first motorhome and we hope to park it on our Northern Ontario acreage and rent it out for short term stays, which we already do with a cabin on the property. But it would be nice to preserve the 'motoring mobility' aspect of it too so we can high-tail to the woods or beach as well.
(I cant tell if the pics were actually uploaded or not so let me know if they dont show...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1853.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	199839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	199840  

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	199841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1858.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	199842  

Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Hissing may be air suspension in rear, which used rubber "bags" to hold axles up in position.. They were prone to develop leaks over time, and are replaceable..

Looks like fun project, though probably gong to take longer than you imagined...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Wow, it looks like fun!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Let us know if any of those cumfy chairs will be up for sale.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
That looks great! I really like the clean look. I'd say if you can, try to preserve that: investigate concealed air conditioning to avoid having those fuel economy killing roof ac units, use low-profile aerodynamic vents. What is inside that rear door?

Hissing, as above, air bags. But if it's a whine rather than a hiss, fuel pump, which always whines. Look above your rear axle to locate the air bags, I've attached a picture. Notice the gap under the bag to the "cone", which means the bag is inflated, otherwise there would be no gap. If the air bag system is not inflating or leaking down quickly, that is an item to address before you use it on the roads regularly, since otherwise you'll be thumping the axle into your chassis with potential major damage. There may well be a psi pressure gauge on your dash which should show air bag pressure, which normally is in the 70 to 90 psi range when running. You should also have a compressor somewhere, which you will hear rattling quite loudly.

If you google
310-325-345-service-manual.pdf
the top link will be to an online copy, which was kindly provided by one of the Forum members, Brad Kahler. Anyway, it would be very useful for stuff like the suspensioneven though it's for slightly earlier vehicles than yours.

If you google
P30 Chassis Manual pdf
you should find a free download of the GM manual which covers basic mechanical stuff. It doesn't have to be the exact year, but I think the 1988 version would be best for you.

Have fun, post more pictures, especially of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air bag.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	199890  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
that is a very cool and slick looking Airstream. Looking forward to seeing it turn into a Motorhome.
It does look like a funeral coach, with that rear access door. Would make a cool toy hauler

does it have a seperated back room already?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Starting with this clean slate brings with it the great opportunity to rethink motor home design.

One thing that I continue to question is the whole water/waste issue. Of course our MH has a full bathroom, but increasingly I don't take showers, or at least seldom, when on the road. A sink with water in it enables you to wash yourself quickly and thoroughly using a quart or two of water.

When I was a kid in England, on our "caravan holidays" there was no bathroom at all, just a kitchen sink, and a porta-potti in a little cabinet. Our water was in a 5 gallon container. After I met my wife, our first campers were VW Westfalias, one sink, no toilet, and we survived. OK, that would be a little too primitive for me nowadays, but we used very little water. When we first started motor homing water soon became a real nuisance, as in always checking holding tanks, and seemingly always finding somewhere to empty and fill. In cold weather you'd either stop using the MH, or run without water in any case, not even having a usable toilet. Now it seems to me that you have the chance to get out of this water management loop to a great extent.

What if you built a "half bathroom", i.e. toilet and small sink, or even no sink but hand sanitizer instead, and used a toilet like this recirculating one that you fill with 6.5 gallons of freshwater:

THETFORD Electra Magicģ Model 80 Recirculating Toilet #35831

You then have much less plumbing and no black water tank to empty. Your water use would plummet without a shower and a toilet to flush, and you could either have very small grey water and freshwater tanks, or normal size with enough capacity for a couple of weeks probably. Plumbing would just be one or two sinks (depending whether you installed a wash sink) a tankless heater, and two holding tanks.... period! Potentially you could have small holding tanks entirely inside the RV (under the bed is a good place) and be totally immune from cold weather problems.

And if you really need a shower, truck stops always have them for very little money.

Just a suggestion!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1975 31' Sovereign
Powassan , Ontario
What a bunch of great ideas and we certainly welcome any suggestions! I'll post more pics tomorrow. I do like the idea of preserving as much as possible, especially that ceiling. And its funny - there's ashtrays everywhere!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1975 31' Sovereign
Powassan , Ontario
So here's some more interior pics. There will definitely be some of the lounge chairs up for grabs! The fabric ceiling is in good shape, but I do wonder what's under it. Fluorescent lights run behind the grooves on the side only. Small half bathroom and small kitchen area with fridge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3368623894.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	200046   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1607226988.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	200047  

Name:	image-4187275806.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	591.9 KB
ID:	200048   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1779946122.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	200049  

Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceytodd View Post
So here's some more interior pics. There will definitely be some of the lounge chairs up for grabs! The fabric ceiling is in good shape, but I do wonder what's under it. Fluorescent lights run behind the grooves on the side only. Small half bathroom and small kitchen area with fridge.
That is fantastic Tracey! I'm really jealous. I hope you keep the fabric ceiling..... I'm sure there's nothing bad behind it, since there are no vents or A/C units on the roof, it should be quite leakproof. There will probably just be a whole lot of wiring up there.

The great thing to me is that you have that half bathroom and kitchen in place, and if you keep that arrangement, then one of the most time consuming jobs is already done! You might have little or no plumbing left to do. I presume there are most likely 3 holding tanks: freshwater, grey water and black water. You need to check where those tanks are. Also, I don't see why a small fridge like that shouldn't be sufficient.

What is behind that small door at the rear? Just a storage compartment?

Questions for you: There must be A/C for the passengers in an executive bus, so presumably some kind of rear A/C unit? Or maybe there is ducting for rear air running behind those ceiling panels?
I presume there is no propane system in the bus? In which case there must be some kind of rear heater running off the engine coolant system.

It's all very exciting.