Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1975 31' Sovereign
Powassan , Ontario
Yes, 3 holding tanks, now empty, so with winter onset will probably not test any plumbing until spring. The small fridge is in fact propane; not sure if we'll swap out though for electric due to insurance.
That little back door leads to a small storage area where presumably one would carry a generator; there's a couple of hook-ups back there and what looks like the A/C and/or air circulator that you mentioned; it starts up as soon as ignition is on, with chassis kill switch, while the other batteries dont seem necessary for driving operation.
The center ceiling panel seems decorative (no venting or lights) but the side ceiling grooves hold flourescent tubes.
Its such an odd machine: made to look like a shuttle bus but kitchen and half-bath make me think for long/lengthy shuttles.
With the door being more or less halfway through the living space we'll have to put some thought into where to put the sleeping area. There's 75" available on either side of the door, and with the plumbing already in place I'd hate to move the kitchen and bath area. Also, we are so new to this we're still trying to learn how it even operates as a vehicle as much as we can before winter. We hope to do much of the interior this winter while its parked.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceytodd View Post
Hi, We;re the new owners of 1987 Airstream Executive Bus that we'd like to convert to a motorhome and were hoping there'd be others out there who own one of these? Seems hard to find others...
PM sent

Cheers
Tony

Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceytodd View Post
Yes, 3 holding tanks, now empty, so with winter onset will probably not test any plumbing until spring. The small fridge is in fact propane; not sure if we'll swap out though for electric due to insurance.
That little back door leads to a small storage area where presumably one would carry a generator; there's a couple of hook-ups back there and what looks like the A/C and/or air circulator that you mentioned; it starts up as soon as ignition is on, with chassis kill switch, while the other batteries dont seem necessary for driving operation.
The center ceiling panel seems decorative (no venting or lights) but the side ceiling grooves hold flourescent tubes.
Its such an odd machine: made to look like a shuttle bus but kitchen and half-bath make me think for long/lengthy shuttles.
With the door being more or less halfway through the living space we'll have to put some thought into where to put the sleeping area. There's 75" available on either side of the door, and with the plumbing already in place I'd hate to move the kitchen and bath area. Also, we are so new to this we're still trying to learn how it even operates as a vehicle as much as we can before winter. We hope to do much of the interior this winter while its parked.
All very interesting. On the fridge, I would consider getting a 3-way from a Westfalia..... they really seem to last forever and the Dometics that typically are fitted to most RV`s are pieces of junk for longevity. Do you really need a freezer on your camping trips? There`s hardly ever much in our refrigerator or freezer in any case.

Sleeping: do you want/need a permanent bedroom? Might be difficult. The couches that come in the full size Classics and LY`s extend in about two seconds into a comfortable queen-size bed. They are also comfortable couches. Your AS will be stable enough that you could also have a free-standing armchair that could be moved out from in front of a couch at will. I`ve attached a picture from a 1979 Excella 24 foot. Or maybe the couch is plenty seating. A table placed to use from the couch would mean a dinette area is unnecessary.

I agree: don`t move the kitchen and bath area! Work with what you`ve got..... really a huge amount of the difficult conversion stuff is there. It must be wired for auxiliary batteries, probably for a plug in to shore power, it has propane, so a storage tank somewhere, all 3 holding tanks. Probably a very expensive rear a/c unit: need to find out if a. it`s working or repairable, b. if it only runs on 12v off the engine, or could be made to run off a transformer/generator.... friendly HVAC tech needed there.

Could you take a picture of the rear a/c unit?

Thanks for keeping us informed, this is very interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1979 Excella 24.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	200266  
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1975 31' Sovereign
Powassan , Ontario
Good points, Punch. How and who intends to use it will probably dictate the size of things like beds and sofas. What I love about RVs is that they are also meant for outdoorsy types who may only really need basic but creature comforts!
Took some pics of the belly but couldn't manage on my own to get pic of rear air unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2535366346.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	702.5 KB
ID:	200470   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1239011030.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	200471  

Name:	image-3196701838.jpg