Old 12-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Funny how the 20ft FC has not been mentioned much (at all?) in this thread. GStreamer...go check it out...large bed and great galley...the two more important aspects of spending prolonged periods in an RV. Very easy to tow...check it out. jon

Old 12-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gstreamer... you did not say new or used...

There are plenty of minimally used Airstreams in the 23 to 25 foot lengths. Some may be a year old to five years. The biggest year of depreciation is the FIRST YEAR and if the Trailer is still under warranty... get the 25 foot.

We used a 23 foot for 8 years. Double Axle. But 14 inch tires is the ONLY negative.

We, after 8 years, moved up to a 25 footer. Looked at new and used larger than 25 foot to 30 feet... no advantage for our kind of camping. The resale of a 23 or 25 foot Airstream is excellent and after five years the trailer can be sold, not by age, but by upkeep and overall condition.

The 25 foot has a larger refrigerator and the new models have all LED lighting. Excellent brightness and power savers off the grid.

NONE of these trailers are worthy of Winter Living. Look at a trailer as just a large ice box...

A Land Rover... We watched a Range Rover pulling a 30 foot Airstream in Nevada this Summer. About 45 to 55mph, maximum. We passed and met up at a service station south of Pioche, Nevada. This gal could handle it! Full timer in Arizona, finished an advanced degree and was heading back to Idaho.

Trade the Land Rover in for a Crew Cab 4x4 pickup and put a shell over the bed. Get the 5.7L engine. Better gasoline mileage than the 4.7L. I know, had them all.

The 23 footer is several inches shorter in height at 9 feet 5 inches and our current new 25 footer is 9 feet 7 inches. The 23 foot is narrower by six inches in width and a smaller refrigerator. YOU will notice the smaller volume of refrigerators...if you are wondering. The 2015 25 footer is now 9 feet 9 inches... so if you have a RV garage like us, our 10 foot clearance is getting a bit tight!

Engine size and ELEVATION are important for us. We live at 6,500 feet and usually are camped at 6,000 to 8,500 feet. At least your elevation is low enough not to be much of an issue.

Ultimate for ME. 25 foot with a 5.7L 4x4 pickup with shell over bed.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreamer View Post
I was so settled on a 19', it just seems so efficient...no un-needed space, and there is enough space for my things... But I think you guys are right, the pros for a 23 seem to be adding up, I don't want to feel confined even though I do plan on spending a lot of time outdoors.

Then again, if I accept your arguments...I might as well get a 30'! Think I'll need to head to the dealership...

Thanks for your tips everyone!
You took a very popular route there, from 19 to 30', in quite a short bound. It took us more than a week to get there!

Seriously, while I have seen many people either buy longer Airstreams or publicly wish they had, I have yet to see the opposite.

Welcome to Air Forums, and have fun on your visit to Can-Am RV. They always have several rigs of various sizes set up and ready to drive, so be sure to leave lots of room to look around and test drive.

And no, I don't work for them.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #18

2012 19' International
Portland , Oregon
No one has mentioned length limits. We have a 19' in which we have spent 2.5 happy months with our cat. We would have been shut out of some pretty awesome spots, if we had picked a longer model.

Based on comments we have read here, we also are realizing our propane lasts longer and so do our batteries with less space. If you enjoy more primitive camping, this is an important consideration.

We call the back of our tow vehicle our attic. Here we store excess clothes, food, tools, fresh water, etc. It's easy access and works really well for us.

The only time we wish we had more space is when we have a couple over for dinner and can't dine outside because it's raining, too cold or too dark. Dining and food prep get pretty tight. But, for two, who work together well, it works fine.

The corner bed setup isn't an issue for a single person, and your post implies you are a single traveler. At 80, I probably won't want to climb over my partner for a midnight bathroom trip, but, for now (53), I'm just fine with it.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Thanks a lot everyone. This thread has been very helpful for me. With the way things stand now, I've pretty much eliminated the 23' in my decision and it's between the 25' and 19' (but at this point I think I'm only keeping the 19' in the race because I always wanted one). I dont know why I can't stop liking that little 19'er. I'm open to new or used and keeping my eyes open to both - if I bought used, I'd be looking for something fairly recent as suggested.

Thanks for the towing tips! I'd like to think a few of them are common sense but I could just as easily be that guy who gets his A/S stuck at the drive through window! I'm 37 and 5'11, so if your knees are hitting at 5'7, I'd probably have to crack open the door. This alone is a major reason I've moved to the 25' (or the 20').

I'm kind of at a loss in the tow vehicle department. Like I said, I don't mind going slow, and I really want something with as good fuel efficiency as possible (when I'm not towing). The Land Rover though terribly fuel efficient is a vehicle I would drive "around" without the A/S. But it's probably scrapped from the plan. I was looking over on Canamrv and they have videos of people towing A/S with Jaguars and Mini's!? What's the deal with that? Though I wouldn't get either of those, if I could get a fuel efficient car, and only towed 3000km or so in a year - would I be ok? Both those cars are definitly towing over capacity (as is the example of the lady above towing a 30' with the Land Rover) - is the tow rating just a recommendation which can be ignored if you have a specialized professionally installed hitch? It's not illegal?

So I guess this thread is closed haha - 19 or 23'? Nope...25'! lol

Thanks again to everyone for their help and being welcomed to the forum!

PS: I do like the 20' - but I wish they made an International version. It's not out of the question and thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
At the risk of sounding like a salesman, it is a rare day when after a year or so, a customer returns to the dealer and says "oh, I wish I had gone smaller", on the other hand, the same dealer regularly witnesses their customers returning to trade-up...like all of you new friends above said, go as big as you can comfortably and safely tow, and afford- you'll be glad you did...

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We started with a 20', great galley. But when see began spending months on end in our Airstream we realized it has no living room, just a dinette so traded for a FC 25 RB in which we upgraded the seating. The 23-27 size is quite adaptable to many needs, the small trailers less so.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Before asking questions (when you seem to already know they are 'hot buttons') here on tow vehicles, why not instead take the time to read some of those threads and see what the posters have to say about the subject?

All those questions have been asked and discussed here many, many times. What is clearly important is to understand the issues in play, and gather enough information to decide for yourself which way you want to go.

But don't listen to me, I pull a 31' 1974 Sovereign with a 2007 Ford Freestar with a 4.2L V6.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Our first was an International 19. After 2 years and 10K miles we bought a 2014 23D. The extra 4 feet is very noticeable.

We ran into a couple from BC this summer who tow a 23FB with a Land Rover LR5. They love the combo.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Before asking questions (when you seem to already know they are 'hot buttons') here on tow vehicles, why not instead take the time to read some of those threads and see what the posters have to say about the subject?

All those questions have been asked and discussed here many, many times. What is clearly important is to understand the issues in play, and gather enough information to decide for yourself which way you want to go.

But don't listen to me, I pull a 31' 1974 Sovereign with a 2007 Ford Freestar with a 4.2L V6.
I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to here...I didn't get the feeling anyone was running hot on this thread...I'm sorry if anyone is for sure!

I'm just engaging anyone who's willing in a conversation where I got to set the topic. I'm very grateful for the responses. Just looking for the right home (for me) - I sincerely hope everyone is happy with whatever and wherever they choose to call home. Yours sounds nice!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to here...I didn't get the feeling anyone was running hot on this thread...I'm sorry if anyone is for sure!

I'm just engaging anyone who's willing in a conversation where I got to set the topic. I'm very grateful for the responses. Just looking for the right home (for me) - I sincerely hope everyone is happy with whatever and wherever they choose to call home. Yours sounds nice!
All threads here become Tow Vehicle arguments if they go on long enough.

Trying to sidestep that I'll say only that you don't NEED to buy a truck. Unless you need a truck for something else. I suspect the biggest issue with Land Rover/Range Rover going longer trailers is the higher ride rather than the engine power.

I'm a big fan of Normally Aspirated engines and I've heard that the boosting and DI doesn't benefit towing FE as much as expected, but if you live at 6500ft and go UP for most of your camping, like the one of the posters here, you'd probably want to start your search with vehicles with turbo or supercharged engines.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I was referring to what you said here. There actually is a lot of sensitivity on the Forums about tow vehicles, and it doesn't seem to take much to get a thread all heated up over it.
I'm kind of at a loss in the tow vehicle department. Like I said, I don't mind going slow, and I really want something with as good fuel efficiency as possible (when I'm not towing). The Land Rover though terribly fuel efficient is a vehicle I would drive "around" without the A/S. But it's probably scrapped from the plan. I was looking over on Canamrv and they have videos of people towing A/S with Jaguars and Mini's!? What's the deal with that? Though I wouldn't get either of those, if I could get a fuel efficient car, and only towed 3000km or so in a year - would I be ok? Both those cars are definitly towing over capacity (as is the example of the lady above towing a 30' with the Land Rover) - is the tow rating just a recommendation which can be ignored if you have a specialized professionally installed hitch? It's not illegal?
Quote:

Well, thanks! And I know you are trying to get information, but just be aware that some subjects just seem to bring out very strong feelings. Enjoy!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We feel more secure with our dual axle 23D than in our single axle 19. 4 tires and brakes rather than 2. If one tire blows on a 19 you CAN have handling problems. I had one brake fail on our 19 while going down a steep grade....not fun.

I swapped out the 14 inch GYMs that came with our 23D for 15 inch Michelin LT M/S2 XLs. Much better ride and SOME SAY more dependable tires.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
19 vs 25

I am new here but spent a lot of time going over this same thing. Everyone's was so helpful, confusing at times but it made us realize 2 factors. How long are our trips going to be. How do we like to camp? How many more camping options and ease are out there for me in a 19'.
We loved the 25 and had a chance to buy a 4 month old 2014 25' Intnl for 48K. A steal but we went with 19'. Guy sold it next day for 53K.
Not many on used 19' market and they are almost as much as new, if not more $47-52K, so we ordered 2015 new 19' Serenity for 50K incl options. Email me if you want dealer info. No one could match that price and we have a new AS.

I would pass on a Pickup for 19' as you will get more use out of an SUV when you are not in your AS. If you tow with a SUV, you can get a lot of gear in there and roof rack helps too. 19' can be easily towed with most. IF you go with 25', a Yukon is the way to go for a SUV.

There is my 2cents

Hope this helps

Quote:
Thanks a lot everyone. This thread has been very helpful for me. With the way things stand now, I've pretty much eliminated the 23' in my decision and it's between the 25' and 19' (but at this point I think I'm only keeping the 19' in the race because I always wanted one). I dont know why I can't stop liking that little 19'er. I'm open to new or used and keeping my eyes open to both - if I bought used, I'd be looking for something fairly recent as suggested.

Thanks for the towing tips! I'd like to think a few of them are common sense but I could just as easily be that guy who gets his A/S stuck at the drive through window! I'm 37 and 5'11, so if your knees are hitting at 5'7, I'd probably have to crack open the door. This alone is a major reason I've moved to the 25' (or the 20').

So I guess this thread is closed haha - 19 or 23'? Nope...25'! lol

Thanks again to everyone for their help and being welcomed to the forum!

PS: I do like the 20' - but I wish they made an International version. It's not out of the question and thanks for the suggestion!