Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

Santa Rosa , California
We want a Bambi...

Anyone thinking of selling a Bambi? My wife and I need one to use (we are Medical help at Burningman) and are willing to fix up alot if needed. Live in Northern California and hope to spend less than $5000
Thanks
Gary

Old 09-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
That's a fairly tall order, as Bambi's are one of the most popular trailers because of their short length. I'm not saying you won't find one at that price, but if you do, there will likely be A LOT of refurbishment necessary (think shell-off).

Try checking the Airforum's classified ads regularly. Also keep an eye on Ebay and Craigslist. If you can find a "Craigslist consolidation" app or website, these can be very helpful for searching in multiple geographies.

good luck!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Yeah, I'll second that. We're in Nor Cal as well and looked for our AS for nearly two years before we found a vintage one in our price range. Never saw a Bambi for les than 10k.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
...But I'd definitely suggest looking on other Craigslists throughout the country. When we were looking the most reasonable deals were in the south, FL and AL in particular. All projects, mind you, but given the industrious spirit that goes along with Burning Man that might be right up your alley!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think you're going to find a Bambi in that price range. You can probably find a bigger Airstream, though it will need work in that price range. The little trailers go for more than that, even as shells, especially with all the demand from food truck people lately.

And if you see a new Bambi for a suspiciously low price, be careful because that's a popular scam. I just flagged one off our local craigslist today.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Be very careful of trailers that are just priced too good to be true (especially on C-list and Yakaz). There have been some very popular recurrent scams where an ad for a recent model Bambi pops up, asking around $5000 (for a trailer that should go for over $20k). You send an email, and find out the trailer is in Kalamazoo, and the owner is a soldier about to be deployed, and they want payment via some kind of escrow service, and will ship the trailer to you for free--don't fall for it. Just beware that your price range puts you squarely in the scam zone.

Haha--here is one example that is currently live:

Airstream bambi for sale - Yakaz For sale

I just did a cursory search and found the following, vintage kin of similar size:

Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

I just did a cursory search and found the following, vintage kin of similar size:

Airstreams tend to get all the attention, but there are some other brands out there that are just as cool and well built, and are priced significantly lower. Not a bad deal at all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, don't get your hopes up, its already sold--another tip, if you see something you might want in your price range, be ready to buy at the drop of a hat, because someone else will also be.

Oh, and to the OP--Welcome to the Forums!