Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Anchorage , Alaska
Things I learned, removing the Belly Plan from a 1963 Bambi

Well, removed my first buck rivets. I am dropping the Belly Pan of a 1963 Bambi. The belly pan has a seam the runs front to back, slightly off-center, the length of the trailer. I suspect it is the original factory configuration.

I started by removing the Aluminum transition on the floor of the door way, then moved toward the back of the trailer, and removed the rivets between the door way and the wheel well. 2 rivets need to be removed up the side of the door jam, and there is a "trim piece" around the edge of the wheel well, than needs the bottom rivet removed (the wheel well trim piece is pulled out a little and a portion can be seen in the left most pic). After you remove the visable buck rivets, there are 3 hidden blind pop rivets up higher between the external and internal skins. The top pic shows the 3 larger holes above the even row of holes used by the visble buck rivets after I got the belly skin released and out from under the side skin. the lower photos show the blind rivets in-place before removal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belly Skin.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	138859  

Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Anchorage , Alaska
will begin dropping the rear connecting buck rivets next. Maybe find some more hidden pop rivets?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Belly Skin 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	138860  

Old 08-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I wonder if the pop rivies were used to hold the belly pan in position for buck riveting at the factory.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Anchorage , Alaska
that's what I thought at the time. but after thinking a bit I a confused. It is my understanding you need access to both sides to install a buck rivet. If the belly was temporarily tacked on with a pop rivet, the only access to the belly-side buck rivets would be through the top. And that means the floor would not be installed. If the floor was out, what would the side be sitting on when it was buck riveted to the belly?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Anchorage , Alaska
It looks to me, that pop rivets were part of the belly pan installation. It looks like the frame was made, the floor attached to it, then the "C" channel was attached to the floor. The belly pan wrapped the bottom and was attached to the "C" channel with pop rivets. Because of the low profile of the pop rivet heads, the shell could then be lowered over the "C" channel, Belly Pan, and buck riveted through the belly skin to the "C" channel. And lastly, the interior skin was attached to cover everything.

to remove the belly pan, it must be done in the reverse order. Interior skin removed. Buck rivets drilled out from the outside. Since the heads of the pop rivets are covered by the exterior skin the pop rivets cannot be loosened from the outside. I then cut off the back-side of the pop rivets from the inside, drilled them out best I could from the inside, and jammed a paint scraper down to make sure the 3 layers (exterior skin, belly skin, and "C" channel) were truly separated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Belly pan pop rivets.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	139571  
Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Your correct about the order.
Use a sharp putty knife to shear the rivets. Slide it down between the skins and chop them off.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I don't know why, but this looks fun to me, lol. So is there not a way to take the belly an off without taking out the inside skin or is that model specific? I have a 74 Safari I'm about to drop the belly pan on and would love not to have to take off the inside skin.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #8

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
no. on the 70's trailers, the belly pan is a single flat sheet that spans the main frame rails. the "wraps" are connected the same way as the earlier trailers, though, so if you need to get those off, its a similar issue w/ the blind rivets. but they only go between the frame rail and the outer part of the "u" channel. The corner pieces come off easy enough, but the straight sections can be tucked up behind the outer skin pretty far, and attached with inaccessible rivets.
point is that if you just need to get to get into the center part of the trailer, where all the plumbing and tanks are, its much easier to do on the 70's trailers.
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Will the interior panels have to come out B4 I can drop the belly pan completely? It is a 67 Caravel
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Anchorage , Alaska
I have not worked my way all the way around, but in the front and street-side, I have been able to only remove the lower interior panels. So not sure if you will have to remove ALL the interior panels.

I only NEEDED to replace the floor, and double check the frame. But after all this work, will probably remove the remaining interior panels just to seal the exterior skin. If I am really feeling brave, I have one exterior skin I may replace.

In-for-a-dime, in-for-a-dollar !