Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
She's going to go from "cheap and trashy" to OMG how classy! I can't wait to see your progress!
That's a good point!

Sounds like you should name your trailer Vivian after the character in Pretty Woman.

Make sure to update us regularly!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Looking forward to following your restoration! My Bambi II was a sad thing too, but she's coming along! Another Bambi saved!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Bunnell , Florida
Can't help myself

Well I've got her into my workshop and we've removed the entire interior, but I keep inturrupting progress because I just can't keep myself from putting some polish on her.

As I stated earlier, this Bambi is full of dents, dings, and scratches, so I'm removing the interior panels and insulation so that I can attempt to work the panels out from the inside.

Because this Bambi will be a "custom" and not all original, It's value will be somewhat less than a fully restored "all original" Bambi when I am all finished with the restoration. As such, replacing exterior panels is way too expensive for my budget and would put me too far upside down in my investment even though I do not intend to ever sell her. I'll just bump out what dents and dings I can, polish her, and leave it at that.

The skin on this Bambi is the worst I have ever seen. The oxidation is extremely heavy and there is even some disintegration of the aluminum clear through along the bottom of the trailer. F9 Nuvite has proven insufficient to remove all of the oxidation, so I've had to resort to wet sanding with 400 grade metal sandpaper, then polish. As you can see from the photo, this has proven to work very effectively and is fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressed.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	156462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressed 12.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	156463  

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambified View Post
There are bullet holes ...
Bullet holes. I love it!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Bunnell , Florida
Wretched Silicone !

The previous owner of my Bambi slathered silicone all over its windows in an effort stop leaks. I spent 3-hours removing silicone from just the small window frame at the rear of the Bambi.

I hate silicone. Nothing will dissolve it. It is impervious to everything and you can't just sand it off either. Its so pliable, it just moves and shape-changes, but remains stuck to whatever surface its glommed on to. All you can do is pick away at it until it is all gone.

I used razor blades, a scraper, and a various sizes of flathead screw drivers to get the rubbery globs of the stuff off of the windows and out of the window frame channels. I then painfully sanded away the tiny remaining bits and fragments of silicone that remained begrudgingly wedged into every nook and cranny of the window assembly. ARRRGGGHHH!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Silicone Before.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	156788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silicone on window.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	156789  

Name:	Gone now.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	156790  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Dental picks are a great help in removing silicone from crevices. Harbor freight has some that came in handy when I was in your nightmare!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I like a cheap, trashy girl every now and again Seriously, looks like a great project. Have fun and do like you want to. It's yo traylah, man
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Bunnell , Florida
Missing Window Frame

Hey what a great idea. I'll give it a try with a dental pick. I still have two more windows to do.

Unfortunately, one of my side windows has been removed. The window frame and original glass are gone. The prior owner removed them, cemented a solid piece of plexiglass into the window opening, and then applied generous portions of silicone around all of the edges. It looked like it was applied with a spoon. What a mess. I've managed to get some of it off, but it needs a lot more effort to get it all cleaned off.

The side window frames on my Bambi are 29 inches wide and 18.5 inches high. I don't know if that is a stock window size for any other vintage airstream. I'm thinking if not, I might be able to find a larger window frame from any old airstream and size it down to replace my missing window frame. Bambi parts are just impossible to find.

Here is what the missing window frame looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side window.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	156806  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Ahh, the irony of silicone. Sticks to aluminum with almost desparate tenacity, yet doesn't stop a thing from getting through.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Check your local Lowes or home depot for silicone remover, VTS also has a good one i am told. Carefully razorblade off the thickest parts and the remainder goes a lot faster.
tim
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Our Overlander had some silly puckey around a few window frames.. Don't know why no one else has done this but I do it all the time working in my farm shop to clean off old silicone.. A rag soaked in gas,, laid over it for around 20 minutes,,,, it just brushes off.. Another treatment of gas it will then rub off whats left with a towel. Watch out for static sparks,, and open flame but works like a charm..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Bunnell , Florida
Hey, thanks for all these great tips and advice. I'll try 'em all.

Check out the custom paint on my Bambi's Airstream rear plate, courtesy of a zealous previous owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nameplate Compressed.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	156866  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Dental picks are a great help in removing silicone from crevices. Harbor freight has some that came in handy when I was in your nightmare!
I did the same thing and used dental picks to clean up about twenty five tubes of silicone off of various surfaces from windows to roof vents on our AS. I was telling my dentist about the use of these nifty tools and he said when they can't reuse or resharpen their dental tools, they clean them and then give them to people who restore furniture, work on engines, etc. I wish I had known that before I bought the sets I got, but in the end it all worked out well.

I also got the VTS silicone remover which does work but took a lot of time to work. No matter what you do, it all seems to take too much time. I have learned to really dislike silicone in the process and am willing to support a bill against its use in the United States and Canada and serious consequences for anyone slathering it on an Airstream.
Sandy
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #28
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Keep at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambified View Post
Hey what a great idea. I'll give it a try with a dental pick. I still have two more windows to do.

Unfortunately, one of my side windows has been removed. The window frame and original glass are gone. The prior owner removed them, cemented a solid piece of plexiglass into the window opening, and then applied generous portions of silicone around all of the edges. It looked like it was applied with a spoon. What a mess. I've managed to get some of it off, but it needs a lot more effort to get it all cleaned off.

The side window frames on my Bambi are 29 inches wide and 18.5 inches high. I don't know if that is a stock window size for any other vintage airstream. I'm thinking if not, I might be able to find a larger window frame from any old airstream and size it down to replace my missing window frame. Bambi parts are just impossible to find.

Here is what the missing window frame looks like.
Looks like your moving along at a good clip. I was told by a mechanic friend of mine, that if you work on your trailer an hour a day, you can make some headway. That's what I try to do.... although some days it's 2-3, and 6-10 on the weekends.... Gotta love these things.

I have a thread going right now "65 Globetrotter floor on restoration"
check it out.... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-89528.html

I have 3 windows to do, and a couple of roof vents, don't forget the roof vents. I bought some silicone remover from VTS... I'm using it this weekend, I'll let you know.

What year is your Bambi? Put more info in your signature, helps when searching.

I just love that little rear window, it's so cool.

Good luck,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote