Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Dave and Brenda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington View Post
Hi Everyone, It has been a while since I have been back. I am trying to get this little guy on the road for the 13th and I need to get a set of Tires, these ones are old and cracking etc. Soooo, The ones on there are 165/70 HR 13's. Should I replace them with similar? Any suggestions on Make and Model?? Best place to buy? Pretty similar everywhere?

Thanks in advance! Dave and Brenda

Tires that you might consider:Finding ST tires in the 13-inch size can be a challenge. I know that in my area, ordering from the Internet is about the only way to get ST tires in anything other than 15-inch sizes.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: The designation HR-13 makes me think that you probably have automotive tires on your coach at this point. This is not a good situation as the sidewall construction isn't substantial enough for trailer use . . . . I tried that once with my 1980 Nomad that used 13-inch ST tires from the factory and the result was not good . . . .
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1961 16' Bambi
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks very much for your input and information!! Very much appreciated! Please explain for me what exactly is needed for trailer vs. Automotive tires? What will I be looking for? I take it they will be labeled ST or Trailer on them? Is the size right? Meaning the 165/70? Or should I be looking for something else?

Thank you again!! Dave and Brenda
Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Saaayy, Look what followed us home today!

Quote:
Thanks very much for your input and information!! Very much appreciated! Please explain for me what exactly is needed for trailer vs. Automotive tires? What will I be looking for? I take it they will be labeled ST or Trailer on them? Is the size right? Meaning the 165/70? Or should I be looking for something else?

Thank you again!! Dave and Brenda

The following are a few of the differences between trailer tires and automotive tires:
  • Sidewalls are heavier than passenger tires.
  • Tread ply rating typically is either 6-ply or 8-ply rated rather than the 4-ply that is typical for a passenger tire.
  • The rubber compounding is different on trailer tires to compensate for the long periods of inactivity typically experienced by trailer tires.
  • Trailer tires are typically rated to carry significantly more weight than a similar sized automobile tire.
Due to variations in coach construction (wheel well size and axle placement relative to wheel well) it is difficult to give a precise size designation when the tires currently on the coach are not of the correct. It is usually best to select a tire with a carrying capacity that gives you at least a 20% margin of safety above the maximum gross vehicle weight rating of your coach. With a Vintage coach measuring is almost a requirement when purchasing new tires to be certain that they will fit within the wheel wells and have a rating to carry the coach's maximum weight.

I have friends who have switched their Vintage Bambis over to either 14" or 15" wheels to take advntage of tires that are easier to find or have a higher carrying capacity.

Kevin

P.S.: The sidewalls will be labeled ST and the load range should be labeled as B, C, D, or E. It is unusual to find greater than a C load rating for 13-inch ST tires.
AIR #827
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #44
ALUMINUT

2006 22' International CCD
Radcliff , Kentucky
I love it, and the little door window as well..:-)

Bonnie
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1961 16' Bambi
Calgary , Alberta
Anybody know the tire size needed for our 61 Bambi? Or what will fit original rims? Or how wide a tire fits on the original rims? I know they are 13 inch, but what was the original width and height/series tire?

I have found a local company that has ST 175/80 13's and I was wondering if they will fit properly.

Thanks, Dave and Brenda
Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Saaayy, Look what followed us home today!

Quote:
Anybody know the tire size needed for our 61 Bambi? Or what will fit original rims? Or how wide a tire fits on the original rims? I know they are 13 inch, but what was the original width and height/series tire?

I have found a local company that has ST 175/80 13's and I was wondering if they will fit properly.

Thanks, Dave and Brenda
There isn't a definitive answer for your question as there was a tremendous variance of room in the wheel wells on Vintage Bambis. Typically, the safest method is to measure the availalbe room prior to purchasing your tires and/or rims. Vintage Bambis were basically hand-made so variances are common both in available height and width of the wheel well. If you don't feel comfortable making these measurements, make it a condition of the purchase that the tire dealer will perform the necessary measurements to verify that the new tires will fit . . . I did this with the first two sets of tires purchased for my Overlander.

Kevin
AIR #827